Cyvasse Online

Jonas Platte

Hello fans of A Song of Ice and Fire and Cyvasse, and everyone who just stumbled across this topic,

A friend of mine (Lukas Reitze) and I recently started a project with the creative name "Cyvasse Online".

Our goal is to build an open-source web implementation of Cyvasse (and maybe mobile apps and / or a native desktop version later) including an online multiplayer mode. Beside that we also want to build up a community about the game. And that's why we are writing this post ;)

But first things first. Here's a quick overview of what we have done so far:

We bought the domains cyvasse-online.com and cyvasse-online.org and have started setting up a web app there. Currently it only shows a note about the existence of the project, but later this will be the place to come to when you want to play Cyvasse against friends or strangers around the world via the net, or to contribute in the forum by discussing rules, recent matches and so on.

As of our plans, the game will have the following features when finished:

• Allow you to play the game with different rule sets
  • Chat with your opponent
  • Logging of the game progress + the ability to save logs for later analysis
Contribution:

The whole project will be community based. There are many ways you can help:

Code: If you have experience with object oriented programming (preferably C++) and game programming, we would be happy to hear from you.

Design: The design of the web site should of course reflect the fact that the game originates from A Song of Ice and Fire. The design isn't that important at the moment, but if you are interested in web design and maybe also have prior experiences with it, feel free to contact us.

Bug hunting: It may take a while until we publish a first version of the game online, but from then on you can help by reporting issues you find on GitHub. You can also send in patches or make Pull Requests there as the code is completely open source.

Feedback: If the other ways to contribute aren't your thing, you can still be of much help through giving us feedback, bringing in ideas or just spreading the word. If you know someone who could be interested in the project, link them to this post.

About us:

I'm Jonas Platte, 17 years old, student. At the moment I do my A level exam and will start studying computer science later this year. I'm doing the programming.

Lukas Reitze is 20 years old and is doing his apprenticeship as management assistant in informatics (first of three years) at the moment, after he did his A level. He initiated the project and does the project management.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask! Besides replying to this topic, you can reach us per mail at [email protected].

I can provide no practical help, but would be interested in playing the game once you have it running. Don't know what rules you would implement, but there has been a fair amount of discussion around here about the rules... I think this is one of the more comprehensive threads;

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/58545-complete-cyvasse-rules/

Good luck!

I can provide no practical help, but would be interested in playing the game once you have it running. Don't know what rules you would implement, but there has been a fair amount of discussion around here about the rules... I think this is one of the more comprehensive threads;

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/58545-complete-cyvasse-rules/

Good luck!

That's actually the set of rules Lukas was most enthusiastic about when he told me of Cyvasse, and it also was the obvious choice for the first ruleset to be implemented :)

I'm already progressing with learning game programming and creating mathematical formulas for that hexagonal board faster than I expected; so if we're lucky you might see a first alpha version in some weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just a quick update if you're curious about the development of the game:

I've opened up the Trello board a little bit and added some information on the development progress to it.
Everybody with a Trello account (creating one is free if you don't got one) can now comment on all the cards on our main board. And here you can have a look at my todo list for the first prototype, to see how I'm progressing.

By the way...

Good luck!

Good luck! This could be a gold mine for you. At the least, it will be quite the eye catcher on the resume!

Thanks! :)

• 2 months later...

Hey, this looks cool. If you want to make a version in Project Spark, let me know, I'd be glad to help when it become available Oct 7th.

For now, I think it's a little too light weight. I was able to move the pieces without knowing why or what they were doing. Maybe some popups for the legal moves and stats on the specific squares.

This game is a lot like Chess, but more complicated. I think you need better graphics. I also think GRRM is crazy.

I was able to setup the board, but after that I couldn't do anything. I agree with 'willofDorne.' Maybe include a list of rules, and I like the idea of pop-ups with the legal moves, etc. And the number of moves/rating of each piece would be a helpful graphic on each piece. Otherwise, it looks like you guys are off to a great start!

Ahem...

It seems you all either read the facebook post before I posted my comment with the "Basic info you will need to play against someone", or you just didn't read it.
Either way, here is the one information you all needed to play the game:

Currently you can only play against another real person (or yourself) and to do that, you have to send them the url of the page you land when creating a game (looks like this: cyvasse-online.com/match/abcd).

The possible moves were already highlighted when clicking one of your own pieces after the setup (and when it's your turn) when I first announced the game was finished.
Since today, the game will highlight all possible moves of any piece you mouve your mouse on, no matter whos turn it is.

Also, the piece icons were updated today, although I think they don't look that good yet, this might be because they are downscaled. I'll try to fix this in the following days.

I hope you enjoy the game when really playing it :D
Leave your feedback!

If you want to make a version in Project Spark, let me know, I'd be glad to help when it become available Oct 7th.

I've had a look at this "Project Spark", but sorry, this is something I won't use for many reasons (for example it doesn't seem to run on Linux).

Where should I submit a bug report?

You can use the GitHub issues of the corresponding project (all projects) to submit bug reports. Bugs in the game logic (flanking moves not possible when they should be or possible when they shouldn't, incorrect moving ranges) should go to cyvmath, graphical bugs with disappearing highlightning as well as game crashed go to cyvasse-game. Problems with the website should be reported on the cyvasse-online-webapp repository and failed synchronization between clients or problems with creating / joining games on cyvasse-server.

When you are unsure, use the cyvasse-game repo.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone! Yesterday, we updated the web app, and now you can create games which everyone off the internet can join!

We posted on reddit again to give everyone a quick overview over our 'Beta' version of the game and what changed since the
first working rule set implementation at the beginning of August, you should find everything relevant there:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyvasse/comments/2ilxu1/cyvasse_online_is_now_in_beta/

Archived