The Night's King's next moves

gash

Why do people think he is in charge of Others and not dead? The Night's King ruled the NW not the Others, in fact he made sacrifices to them.

I agree.

NK will undoubtedly have some Others on his side, but he is not truly one of them and most of them won't follow him in his quest for vengeance.

Either way...all he can do is sit back and wait at this point.

Why do people think he is in charge of Others and not dead? The Night's King ruled the NW not the Others, in fact he made sacrifices to them.

/spoiler/

Because HBO messed up and leaked that the goofy horned WW at the end of one of the episodes was the NK, then retracted the posting about ten mins later, but not before a WHOLE BUNCH of people got screencaps of it. Sooooooo, by this we are lead to believe that the NK is the leader, he was the one who changed the baby, and he was the center point of that circle of 13......

I tried the spoiler thing anyways..........

I think he was talking about the leader of the Others. According to the show, Coldhands =/= Night's King.

Oh, damn... didn't know that.

Just read up on it.

So does this clear up more room for Benjen = Coldhands?

I'm sure the true identity of him is someone we previously know.

/spoiler/

Because HBO messed up and leaked that the goofy horned WW at the end of one of the episodes was the NK, then retracted the posting about ten mins later, but not before a WHOLE BUNCH of people got screencaps of it. Sooooooo, by this we are lead to believe that the NK is the leader, he was the one who changed the baby, and he was the center point of that circle of 13......

I tried the spoiler thing anyways..........

And this proves what about the books exactly?

In the books, it seems likely that the Night's King has been dead for over 8000 years. The legend states that he was defeated by the King in the North and the King-beyond-the-Wall. To me, "defeated" means "killed." It doesn't mean "ran off to fight another day."

So does this clear up more room for Benjen = Coldhands?

I'm sure the true identity of him is someone we previously know.

No, definitely not. Leaf tells Bran that Coldhands "died long ago." Given that the CotF live for hundreds of years, I think it's safe to say that Coldhands is most definitely not Benjen. A few years wouldn't be "long ago" to her.

To me, "defeated" means "killed." It doesn't mean "ran off to fight another day."

Well, Stannis was defeated at Battle of Blackwater. That doesn't mean he is dead.

What's worse, Catelyn Stark and Beric Dondarrion were killed, yet they were alive

Who knows what exactly the magic of WW are. All we know if that they can rise a dead. There must be more, much more.

We don't know if the Night's King is still alive. We don't know if that actually was the a Night's King or some sort of successor in the show. We won't know until TWOW comes out.

Since I'm a Stanfan , I'll just pretend that the Other actually is the Night's King for now.

The purpose of the wall until the knight's king was defeated was keeping the first men from stopping the whites south of the wall. This changed when Joramund woke the giants and led the free folk against such abomination. Of course, when Joramund died the Starks stole the credit for saving mankind to justify wilding genocide.

Has anybody seen my tin foil?

Well, Stannis was defeated at Battle of Blackwater. That doesn't mean he is dead.

What's worse, Catelyn Stark and Beric Dondarrion were killed, yet they were alive

Who knows what exactly the magic of WW are. All we know if that they can rise a dead. There must be more, much more.

I'm not saying he has to be dead. Just that the legend implies that the combined attack against him put an end to whatever he was doing. If he was still alive, why would he wait over 8000 years to strike back?

We don't know if the Night's King is still alive. We don't know if that actually was the a Night's King or some sort of successor in the show. We won't know until TWOW comes out.

I agree. We lack information at this point. We don't know how long the Others live or if they even die outside of being with fire or stabbed with obsidian or Valyrian steel. They could live for 10,000 years or 20,000 years. They could live for 1000 years. It's just a big question mark at the moment. I think it's reasonable to assume that they have a fairly lengthy lifespan like the CotF. But 8000 years? I don't know. That might be pushing it.

Also, just because a character is called the Night's King it doesn't mean it's intended to be the original Night's King. The show could be doing its own thing in this regard. They could be treating it as a title that multiple Others have held over the millennia. That may or may not be what GRRM has planned. They may be using the NK in the show as a way to give the Others a clear and direct leader for the characters to fight against.

We don't even know if the NK became an Other. All we really know is he had sex with an Other, "lost his soul," sacrificed people to the Others, and was "defeated." The "lost his soul" part is very vague. Does that mean he ceased being human and was turned into an Other? Does that mean he died and was brought back in the same way as Coldhands? Or does that mean he lost his soul in the sense that he lost his sense of right and wrong (i.e., he metaphorically lost his soul)?

Well, given they retracted the post I find it hard to believe it isn't a "spoiler" of some sort.

It's likely a spoiler for the show of some sort. Whether it's a spoiler for the books remains to be seen. I highly doubt D&D would be so careless that they'd do a write-up for the episode or even give someone else the information for the write-up and accidentally give away a big plot point from the books.

If he was still alive, why would he wait over 8000 years to strike back?

Maybe they were all waiting for the Long Winter??? WW can come out only during the darkness. If they want to invade the realm, they need a long winter and the long night (just like the previous time).

Either that or maybe they finally found a way to break the wall. Maybe they are waiting for something (Maybe Jon Snow) who could help them break the wall.

Only the above two reasons makes sense as to why WW would wait for 2-3 years to start the invasion.

Maybe they were all waiting for the Long Winter??? WW can come out only during the darkness. If they want to invade the realm, they need a long winter and the long night (just like the previous time).

Either that or maybe they finally found a way to break the wall. Maybe they are waiting for something (Maybe Jon Snow) who could help them break the wall.

Only the above two reasons makes sense as to why WW would wait for 2-3 years to start the invasion.

Maybe they needed a certain prince, a prince promised to... bring death to oathbreakers (we can blame Valyrian translators for the mix-up) the children remember the pact, the men have forgotten

Maybe they needed a certain prince, a prince promised to... bring death to oathbreakers (we can blame Valyrian translators for the mix-up) the children remember the pact, the men have forgotten

Yeah. That was the "Maybe Jon Snow" part I mentioned

Waiting for a long winter would certainly be plausible. Finding a way to destroy the Wall would be another good explanation for the wait. Having both conditions would definitely scream "time to strike."

I guess my opinion on the NK is that until TWOW comes out, I'm not assuming the show is following GRRM's plan exactly. I'm assuming they're making stuff up to build up the Others as a bigger threat. The books constantly have the threat of the Others looming in the background through the chapters at and beyond the Wall, legends, and history. There's also the progression of the seasons with the knowledge of another long, bad winter coming.

The show has fewer tools to work with and needs to show that the Others are a threat. Inventing more direct things for us to see them doing is one way to do that. Using established lore is a way to stay true to the spirit of GRRM's world without spoiling his endgame.

Archived