The Night's King's next moves

gash

I would not address the Other revelation in the show to the books. By the show we are led to believe that the Others are humans that are turned into them. That may be what it is in the books but we know too little about them anyway. Humans are not native to Westeros , Children of the Forest were in Westeros before them and conveniently used obsidian as a weapon, one of the few weaknesses of the Others. Who know what the Others or their source of power really are.

I don't think the show needs to consolidate characters that appear for the first time with the ones that aren't yet resolved in the books. Why would they call "the Great Other", "Night's King" instead? Why not "Keyser Soze"? Also, there is no "the" in Night's King. Neither in the books nor in the synopsis/cast list, which leads me to believe that it's a title rather than a character (e.g. LC of NW). That closes the 8,000 year or so gap.

why not call him White Walker King? White Walker Leader? or just a White Walker? Why call him the Night's King? Why remove his title the day after the screenplay was on the HBO website? And the season 2 dvd had a history and lore dedicated to the Night's King as well...

its not proof but it sure seems like D&D are leaning that direction, with the history and lore talking about it…Who do you think the WW was? he had a crown of horns.

He could just be a really horny Other! ;) In all seriousness, I think they're taking some serious liberties with the lore and the main story to make the Others seem like a more legitimate threat. "Show, don't tell" and all that. Having a leader-like figure turn a baby into one of them is certainly one way to raise the stakes. It's effective drama.

The biggest problem I see with making assumptions at this point is we have almost no information to go on. We know next to nothing about the Others in the books beyond fairy tales, legends, and a few very limited personal accounts (usually ending in the death of our narrator). The story of the Night's King is exactly that: a story. And since I don't want to repeat myself, my earlier post says it better and in more detail. :)

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109640-the-nights-kings-next-moves/?p=5764683

IMHO, the show blew it. They wouldn't have switched out the names if it wasn't a spoiler. They didn't want to piss off GRRM, he's making them millions, perhaps hundreds of millions by the end of the show. The series' showrunners have worked closely with GRRM, and they DO know a lot about where the novels are actually going...whether that's so the show can end differently or so they can remain faithful to the novels is undetermined, it seems. The Other's are "born" the same way in the books, and it wasn't a spoiler until they listed the actual name of that particular Other. It need not be The Great Other, that could be the woman he fell in love with or someone else entirely. Point being, we weren't intended know that was the Night's King.

When does it explicitly state he died in the books? Quotes please.

Better yet.

What are The Great Other or who-ever-the-hell-NK-is motivations?

Conquer all of Westeros and Essos?

Then half a million shambling hamburgers and Evil Popsicles just party for the next 10 , 100 millions years?

Sort of pointless, like going to heaven!

He's dead. He died thousands of years ago.

you do realize his name was "Night's King" in the screenplay and HBO quickly renamed it to just "White Walker"? Now why do that? Say the writers thought it was just a cool (no pun intended) name for the WW leader why would HBO delete the name and rename it?

We don't even know if the Night's King actually existed never mind if he died. It's a legend/fairy tale. Assuming that such a story is 100% historically accurate is just, well, wrong.

they went out of their way in the season 2 history and lore of Westeros to tell this tale...

Better yet.

Then half a million shambling hamburgers and Evil Popsicles just party for the next 10 , 100 millions years?

my theory is its revenge, they killed his queen at the Nightfort, the NK fled to the land of always winter and there he pledged to the remaining WW's he would avenge their princess. -But they lost their female so they had to start stealing/taking babies to replenish their numbers.

He's dead. He died thousands of years ago.

Richard Brake played the Night's King...

Game of Thrones (TV Series)

Night's King

- Oathkeeper (2014) ... Night's King
Richard Brake twitter feed...
Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake Awesome scene! Congrats! White Walkers are amazing! Will we be seeing more of you??
Richard Brake @richardbrake Apr 29 @JonasRJakobsen Thanks! You will be seeing more of me, not sure when but I was told the character I play is very important.
Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake There’s a rumor that your character is called the Night’s King, is there anything truth to this?
Richard Brake @richardbrake Apr 29 @JonasRJakobsen I don’t want to give anything away, the writers have chosen to keep it a secret, but if you look at my head I am wearing something that a “king” would wear.
A White Walker claims the baby and rides to a city of ice. The child is presented at an altar, where the Night's King greets the infant and lays a finger on its cheek. The baby's eyes turn White Walker blue.
-Screenplay, the Night's King was changed the day after on the HBO website.

‘Game Of Thrones’: HBO Reveals The Identity Of The White Walkers

First, let’s get right down to it. A savvy Redditor, dhamr, happened to screenshot HBO’s faux pas before it was quickly corrected. Here’s the spoiler:

BOOM! THE END of debate!

Better yet.

their mission is the exact opposite of Melisandre's/R'hllor's. A Song of "Ice" and Fire.

I think the "horns" people saw and have mentioned may have been an Ice and Crystal crown; or perhaps one or the other.

This would seem to make some sense, at least.

without a doubt.

Richard Brake twitter feed...

Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake Awesome scene! Congrats! White Walkers are amazing! Will we be seeing more of you??

Richard Brake @richardbrake Apr 29 @JonasRJakobsen Thanks! You will be seeing more of me, not sure when but I was told the character I play is very important.

Bearded Dragon @nathanrhysjones Apr 29 @richardbrake There’s a rumor that your character is called the Night’s King, is there anything truth to this?

Richard Brake @richardbrake Apr 29 @JonasRJakobsen I don’t want to give anything away, the writers have chosen to keep it a secret, but if you look at my head I am wearing something that a “king” would wear.

Archived