How would you rate episode 406?

How would you rate episode 406?  

719 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

A little more number-crunching. Given my feeling that episode 3 is being very heavily penalized for one botched scene, I thought I'd average the scores of the top 5 of the first 6 episodes of each season, thereby dropping the lowest performer for each season. Here's the results of the forum polls, ranked in order.

S1: 8.41

S3: 8.326

S4: 8.108

S2: 8.048

How much of an edge did dropping the low episode give Season 4? I'm assuming S1 would still be first and S3 second, and S2 and S4 (with only a 0.06 difference even with the fudged numbers) are pretty clearly tied for last place, which supports the general consensus that S2 was clearly lower quality than S01 and S03, and that S04 is shaping up to be as bad as S02.

Factoring in the poll result for episode 3, the average drops to 7.92. Here's the results of just averaging the polls for the first six episodes of each season:

S1: 8.32

S3: 8.16

S4: 7.92
S2: 7.89

What's worth noting, of course, is that we're talking less than half a point separating S3 from being "equal" to S1. In the grand scheme of things, it's not like there's a truly enormous difference in how the forum is reacting. It's a bit of dissatisfaction or disappointment, not outright rejection (for the poll-participating membership of the forum as a collective group).

Edited by Ran

How much of an edge did dropping the low episode give Season 4? I'm assuming S1 would still be first and S3 second, and S2 and S4 (with only a 0.06 difference even with the fudged numbers) are pretty clearly tied for last place, which supports the general consensus that S2 was clearly lower quality than S01 and S03, and that S04 is shaping up to be as bad as S02.

I'm probably missing something here. I'm finding S4 to be very exciting, lots of important events happening.

I found S3 to be a borefest and expected it to be the least loved season.

Either I'm forgeting very cool momments from those seasons or I'm a outlier in your statistics.

That's not true at all, though. So far, Season 4, around the internet, has been more well-liked than any season that came before.

That's not true at all, though. So far, Season 4, around the internet, has been more well-liked than any season that came before.

I made my post here, not "around the Internet". Around *here*, Season 4 has been getting a lot of hate. Yes, it gets love also, but it's more a question of degree -- the stuff that people hate this season, they *really* hate. Last season didn't seem to generate so much hatred for "less popular" scenes.

The thing I hate the most is how much they are leaving out of the books, but during this season are making so much up. They could be covering more relevant and arguably more dramatic (better television) stuff, but are electing to make fillers in the most boring part of Bran's story line. I don't know, that's how I feel....

I mean think about it, the best part of this phase of Bran's journey that they haven't covered (I am referring to the development of Bran's powers, which has already been adequately addressed), is meeting Coldhands. Where the hell is Coldhands in the show!? It's mind boggling if you ask me.

The thing I hate the most is how much they are leaving out of the books, but during this season are making so much up. They could be covering more relevant and arguably more dramatic (better television) stuff, but are electing to make fillers in the most boring part of Bran's story line. I don't know, that's how I feel....

I mean think about it, the best part of this phase of Bran's journey that they haven't covered (I am referring to the development of Bran's powers, which has already been adequately addressed), is meeting Coldhands. Where the hell is Coldhands in the show!? It's mind boggling if you ask me.

You summarise it perfectly. The season is getting hate around here because it is now starting to make significant changes to the books, which is very controversial. Not that it is necessarily worse than other seasons.

Edited by Ravi Seaworth

I loved it. The only thing I could wish for was when Tyrion is walking into court and someone from the crowd yells "King Slayer!" I would have loved to see Jaime and Tyrion turn to look at the same time.

They didn't as we know.

Well, it was just one person shouting it as I recall.

I change my vote from a 10 to a 9 because on second watching the whole Yara-Theon-Ramsay scene is an editing screw up, something was changed from the original, it looked like, a day before airing.

I don't even think D and D and the regular editing crew were involved... just my thought.

(HBO never issues 'director's cuts' so we will never know.)

Ok so Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 9.4 with 34 positive reviews and two splats.

As always it's good to have analysis, but Ran is right the way RT rates the final number is subjective.

I don't think it's hard to figure out what is an outright positive review, negative reviews yes a -1 can be discerned.

Mixed reviews, slightly mixed reviews even oblique reviews seem to be given a -1.

For instance after reading Jeremy Egner's review in the NY Times he had an ever so slight criticism, so a splat.

Egner's reviews are very breezy with the spin that he likes the episodes and the show, so what can you say?

At IMDB 7889 viewer votes , pretty large statistical sample:

Arithmetic mean = 9.8. Median = 10

Since no margin of error is ever posted one takes it for what it is.

(Because there are Trolls at IMDB.)

I don't have time to read the 'internal' reviews , but I am sure there not 7889 of them.

Edited by boojam

Factoring in the poll result for episode 3, the average drops to 7.92. Here's the results of just averaging the polls for the first six episodes of each season:

S1: 8.32

S3: 8.16

S4: 7.92

S2: 7.89

What's worth noting, of course, is that we're talking less than half a point separating S3 from being "equal" to S1. In the grand scheme of things, it's not like there's a truly enormous difference in how the forum is reacting. It's a bit of dissatisfaction or disappointment, not outright rejection (for the poll-participating membership of the forum as a collective group).

Are you accounting for the number of votes/episode for each season? I'd expect more book purists to vote now that the show is diverging more and more from the books/possibly spoiling TWoW.

We're averaging fewer votes per episode than we did for S3. Don't know what that means, exactly, but it doesn't seem sound to try and guess at who is and isn't voting.

Edited by Ran

Yeah, forum traffic is about double what it was last year, although admittedly our higher levels of stability since getting the second server doubtless plays a part in that -- doesn't necessarily mean twice as many people are looking at it.

The most I can suppose is that more people feel like they don't care to vote either way and don't bother.

i'm all for people having the freedom to vote as they wish, but anbody giving this episode a 1,2,3 is clearly just a tube and should be banned from the board forthwith.

And if that is done then the same must obviously be also done for those who give an automatic 10.

I think Ran's way is a better method of handling the situation, except that given the additional traffic, perhaps expanding the top and bottom cuts are in order?

And if that is done then the same must obviously be also done for those who give an automatic 10.

I think Ran's way is a better method of handling the situation, except that given the additional traffic, perhaps expanding the top and bottom cuts are in order?

Actually, Ran said that while there is more traffic now, fewer people are voting, so if any change is to be made, reducing the percentage of top/bottom cuts would be in order (not saying that any change is necessary, just that if a change is made, increasing is the wrong direction).

Looking at the current data, we have about 685 votes, so 5% is about 34. That eliminates all votes below '6' and 15 out of 19 votes of '6' while only getting rid of 34 of 205 '10' votes.

AGAIN, I think the only way to improve ratings accuracy would be to vote per-scene as well as per-episode. Because it seems that most people are reading the poll as: This Episode -- Great or The Greatest So Far.

I think the argument goes - not unfairly - that Cogman is more consistent. While D&D do occasionally write a weaker script here and there, all of Cogman's episodes have been really top notch. In my view, he wrote the second best episode of Season 2, What Is Dead May Never Die, it's a tie between Rains of Castamere and Kissed by Fire for the honour of being the best Season 3 episode, and Laws of Gods and Men has clearly been the best episode of Season 4 so far. Bryan is very very good indeed.

I think Cogman does an excellent job for a beginner. Last year he wrote probably the best dialog scene of the season.

One keeps in mind that no matter who wrote an episode , even Martin, they are all messaged by Dave and Dan.

The one thing I have noticed is that when David Benioff and Dan Weiss are somewhat buffaloed by a story from the books they don't write good material, it's too bad there is not another senior writer on staff who can say, "look I can see you understand the source material, but your coasting here!", think of about 6 episodes of season 2 , all by D&D and one by Vanessa Taylor, all seemed outlined as 'let's get this over' from the beginning.

When something catches their interest , like all of season 1 they ace it.

Then in season 3 the RW and DRACARYS ... well one could tell those where favorites, and carefully wrote those.

Most of the time D&D really click, here and there they seem to drop the ball.