Books 5-6 Spoilers: How does Stannis early wealth will affect his further dynamics?

It is still possible, we do not know how much gold IB gave Stannis this time, I do not think IB has decided to abandoned Lanniser's cause, since Lannisters are their biggest investment, and until now at least, they did pay the money back. What IB did in the last episode was just what we call investment diversity, they may just gave Stannis enough gold to enable him to sail to the wall

Yeah, you're probably right. Guess the show had to establish a reason for IB to be interested enough in Stannis to go to the wall to seek him out later. That would make more sense.

Maybe a scene on a ship with Stannis and Davos talking about where they should head next. Stannis might argue that they should sail for King's Landing since winning the throne would give him more resources to fight the threat in the North. Davos could disagree, and would want to sail to the Wall right away. Then leave Stannis' choice as a cliffhanger. However for Stannis wanting to attack KL to make sense they need to have the Iron Bank's support, and if you read my earlier post you'll know how I would like the IB situation to go down.

I know it matters less and less these days to recount what the books said, but... IIRC, in the books Stannis never looks back at KL after Mel says his mission lay in the North at The Wall. As for my opinion, except for a stop at Dragonstone to muster as many lords and troups as they can, they will head for The Wall without a second guess. Gotta remember who wears Stan the Man's pants. (sorry Stanfans... please don't flame me.) :P

Yeah, you're probably right. Guess the show had to establish a reason for IB to be interested enough in Stannis to go to the wall to seek him out later. That would make more sense.

I know it matters less and less these days to recount what the books said, but... IIRC, in the books Stannis never looks back at KL after Mel says his mission lay in the North at The Wall. As for my opinion, except for a stop at Dragonstone to muster as many lords and troups as they can, they will head for The Wall without a second guess. Gotta remember who wears Stan the Man's pants. (sorry Stanfans... please don't flame me.) :P

Not in the books, but he does have his infamous saving the realm quote in the books. However in the show it would make even more sense, since in E3 he already pondered over attacking KL. Choosing the Wall over KL could be a fine addition IMO.

I just listened to the recent Game of Owns podcast and Bryan Cogman said that Stannis didn't get the full support of the IB. I think he said something like: "The IB didn't give Stannis what he wanted. They gave him like half of it, and said that if he shows results they'll be talking more about it." Also there was something about the Bank still supporting the Lannisters.

Probably introduced them as players. By the time Stannis is at the Wall and successfully established a base and subdued the Wildlings, Tywin is probably dead and Cersei stopped the payments. Tycho (who the audience already knows at that point) shows then up on the Wall/Crofter's Village and says something like "Lord Stannis, it seems your business is required after all".

I just listened to the recent Game of Owns podcast and Bryan Cogman ...

Just curious... do they really call it "Game of Owns", or was that a typo, or maybe even a sarcastic twist on the title?

I just listened to the recent Game of Owns podcast and Bryan Cogman said that Stannis didn't get the full support of the IB. I think he said something like: "The IB didn't give Stannis what he wanted. They gave him like half of it, and said that if he shows results they'll be talking more about it." Also there was something about the Bank still supporting the Lannisters.

half of it is an enormous amount of money anyway.

IMO, this will not change anything.

1) Martin isn't very good with numbers, and he really hasn't given out many in the books (and has admitted that some numbers, like prize amounts in AGOT, don't make sense).

2) The show is even worse with numbers

So, whatever D&D wants to happen will happen, regardless of whether or not it makes sense with either Martin's numbers or their own previously established numbers.

And the number of extras etc. actually filmed will be much lower than any of the numbers actually discussed.

Edit: I don't mean to sound overly critical, I just mean that nothing really turns on the *accuracy* of the numbers, they're just used descriptively, so there's no need to think that the amount of money really means anything, or that getting it a bit early is going to make a difference to the plot.

The show wanted more Stannis/Davos time, so it put some focus on Stannis needing money and troops before he could go *anywhere* and then resolved it by introducing the bank a bit earlier (and differently) than in the books. Overall, I think that they pulled this off pretty well (at least compared to the much more obvious/clunky filler in the Crasterfck).

They didn't reject him, they gave him chests of gold.

The show has let us known time and time again that the Battle of the Blackwater did a number on the Baratheon army, I think this money + more ships and a bigger army is to make his presence in the north feel as if it has more weight behind it. I like that, as a Stannis man.you

you are right, after watching the replay, I had to leave the room when Davos entered the bath. Yeah, they kind of messed up the timing of support for Stannis but they may play it as we need to buy time to raise troops, Dragonstone not big enough and Storm's End is already encircled so maybe he has to go North to regroup. Money he has, manpower will take time and he has to go somewhere.

Archived