Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

Sansa - I love how she has grown and developed over the course of the series. She has really matured from a naive young girl in love with the idea of knights. I look forward to seeing where the story takes her as she begins to play the game.
Brienne - She is one of the truly good people in the series. She is fiercely loyal, and I feel that she embodies what a knight is supposed to. Even though I found some of her chapters to be a little slow, I still really like her.
Arya - She is heading down a slippery slope and her behaviour is becoming more and more questionable, but I really feel for her. This child has been to hell and back and I really want things to get better for her in the same way that I want them to for Sansa.
Cersei - I find her POVs to be entertaining based on just how wrong she is about a lot of things. She is steadily spiralling out of control, and there are times she makes me want to smack my hand to my head. Despite her flaws, she is a very devoted mother.
Asha - Over the course of the series, she has really grown on me. I love her fierce spirit and how she doesn't bend to gender roles. I'd take Asha for Queen any day of the week.

For me it is, obviously, Sansa. There are many things that I love about Sansa. But what I love the most about her is that despite the horrors she went through Sansa never stops hoping that things might be better. Some people might find this foolishness to hope for 'happy little after', but I consider this to be so crucial in life. Why do we endure the bad things that are happening in our lives? Because we hope that some day that our lives will be better. And if through all hope away in life then what is the point of living? What makes Sansa so strong in my mind is that despite going through her own winter she never stops dreaming of spring. 

Id have to say either Asha Greyjoy or Olenna Tyrell.

I actually much prefer Asha as a "warrior female" character than Brienne.

Brienne just seems somewhat dull. Kind and honorable, but sort of self-righteous and self pitying. At times she seems like e-yore from Winne the Pooh.

Asha is a tough warrior, but idk, she isn't as much of a downer. I thought her chapters as Stannis' prisoner were interesting too.

Olenna to me seems like a less malignant version of Littlefinger. She is very sneaky and crafty, but she doesn't seem evil at heart. She cares deeply about her family, and definitely did the realm a service by helping LF poison Joffrey.

Got to love her little jabs at Cersei. "Well you are Tommen's mother of that we can be certain."

Id have to say either Asha Greyjoy or Olenna Tyrell.

I actually much prefer Asha as a "warrior female" character than Brienne.

Brienne just seems somewhat dull. Kind and honorable, but sort of self-righteous and self pitying. At times she seems like e-yore from Winne the Pooh.

Asha is a tough warrior, but idk, she isn't as much of a downer. I thought her chapters as Stannis' prisoner were interesting too.

The problem with Asha is that I don't buy her as a warrior. She's average size and build for a woman yet she manages to kill A bunch of fully armed and armored men at deep wood motte? No way. She's like a fantasy warrior pirate babe. Plus she doesn't appear to have ever struggled with the kinds of issues Brienne did with acceptance due to her sex. Sorry, but in a culture as misogynistic as Westeros, Asha being accepted as an equal by IB fighters is just not happening. She's so anachronistic I wouldn't be surprised to see her in boob plate next time.

Brienne I can believe as a fighter and a realistic character. She's >6 ft and stronger than the majority of men. She struggles in her fights realistically but I can believer her winning. And she struggles socially as an outcast which is what a woman warrior would realistically be.

Also if you haven't read dunk and egg, id recommend it. I appreciated Brienne, especially in AFFC much more after I read D&E. She is dunk reborn... But in a more brutal time and with different equipment. :)

It's clearly Arya. 

She will be the most deadliest of the female warriors because she will be well versed in the ways of the faceless men. But more importantly and what most people don't realize is that Arya is a warg.

At the end of dance with dragons she discovered the abilities when she warged into the cat.

She will probably be the most powerful female warriors in the world of westeros.

The problem with Asha is that I don't buy her as a warrior. She's average size and build for a woman yet she manages to kill A bunch of fully armed and armored men at deep wood motte? No way. She's like a fantasy warrior pirate babe. Plus she doesn't appear to have ever struggled with the kinds of issues Brienne did with acceptance due to her sex. Sorry, but in a culture as misogynistic as Westeros, Asha being accepted as an equal by IB fighters is just not happening. She's so anachronistic I wouldn't be surprised to see her in boob plate next time.

Brienne I can believe as a fighter and a realistic character. She's >6 ft and stronger than the majority of men. She struggles in her fights realistically but I can believer her winning. And she struggles socially as an outcast which is what a woman warrior would realistically be.

Also if you haven't read dunk and egg, id recommend it. I appreciated Brienne, especially in AFFC much more after I read D&E. She is dunk reborn... But in a more brutal time and with different equipment. :)

There were several average sized warrior women in history and the reason she was accepted by the ironborn is because the ironborn value strength over anything else, they are a different kind of sexist than the rest of westeros. In the rest of Westeros women have to stay in their place, they have to be feminine while the ironborn just don't like what they consider femininity and they do think that weakness and so on is connected to that but when a women shows herself to be as strong as a man they'll respect her for that, she'll probably have to prove herself more than men though because they assume weakness based on her gender, but Asha was also Balon's daughter so that probably helped on that account.

I like many of them but Daenerys is by far my favorite. She is a really complex and multifaceted character and I believe the reason why she is so polarizing is because many readers only see the good/bad sides of her and ignore the rest, which doesn't do her character justice.

There are so many contradictory aspects united in this one character. She is one of the most compassionate and selfless characters, yet she can be very cruel and impulsive and entitled. She is incredibly strong but sometimes also weak. She believes in justice and helping those who cannot help themselves, even if helping them gains her nothing, but in her black and white world views she often cannot decide on real justice. She is surrounded by so many people and has thousands of followers yet she is one of the loneliest characters in the story. She wants to trust her people but her past experiences with betrayals and the prophecies from the Undying and Quaithe make her so paranoid that she doesn't know if she can even trust those closest to her. She is queen and mother to many, yet she has no home and doesn't know where she belongs. All her titles are just her way of trying to find out who she is. She has no home, no one to guide her, no family to turn to, so she has to find a purpose for herself. She tries being Mhysa, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi and wife, Queen and so on because she doesn't know who she is and what she really should do. She has so many admirable qualities but also some really big flaws and she is far from perfect. And despite being some prophecied, magical and deified specialty she's just a girl and a human being. That's why I like her.

:agree:   

There are a lot of great female characters, but Dany is the one who transfixed me the most.

I like many of them but Daenerys is by far my favorite. She is a really complex and multifaceted character and I believe the reason why she is so polarizing is because many readers only see the good/bad sides of her and ignore the rest, which doesn't do her character justice.

There are so many contradictory aspects united in this one character. She is one of the most compassionate and selfless characters, yet she can be very cruel and impulsive and entitled. She is incredibly strong but sometimes also weak. She believes in justice and helping those who cannot help themselves, even if helping them gains her nothing, but in her black and white world views she often cannot decide on real justice. She is surrounded by so many people and has thousands of followers yet she is one of the loneliest characters in the story. She wants to trust her people but her past experiences with betrayals and the prophecies from the Undying and Quaithe make her so paranoid that she doesn't know if she can even trust those closest to her. She is queen and mother to many, yet she has no home and doesn't know where she belongs. All her titles are just her way of trying to find out who she is. She has no home, no one to guide her, no family to turn to, so she has to find a purpose for herself. She tries being Mhysa, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi and wife, Queen and so on because she doesn't know who she is and what she really should do. She has so many admirable qualities but also some really big flaws and she is far from perfect. And despite being some prophecied, magical and deified specialty she's just a girl and a human being. That's why I like her.

A+ post
Dany is truly such an awesome character

Melisandre of Asshai & Asha Greyjoy

Absolutely love the Rhllor vs Other aspect of asoiaf, Melisandre is the red priest(ess) with the most exposure to the reader. Her visions are extremely intriguing and her increasing powers/senses at the Wall makes me even more excited for her future.

Asha Greyjoy is the most badass woman in the books IMO and her verbal jabs at male characters really cracks me up. She is the female kraken personified.

Archived