World of Ice and Fire content on the wiki

Someone really should do this before the worldbook comes out. I see a lot of Rouge Prince stuff on there already. Can't really fault people for not following a the rules when they're not mentioned anywhere but this thread as far as I know.

Some of the Rogue Prince stuff was appearing before Rogues was even published though, which surely people should realise isn't allowed? (I'm talking during May here)

• 1 month later...

Some of the Rogue Prince stuff was appearing before Rogues was even published though, which surely people should realise isn't allowed? (I'm talking during May here)

They even re-created pages that had been deleted several times (with the reason given in the deletion log). Apparently, some either don't care, or are a bit blinded by enthusiasm..

There are some new articles (Tion Tarbeck, Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion), with TWOIAF as their source, but without mentioning where the info is coming from (since the book has not been published yet).

I presume from the Westerlands reading. They should.probably be taken down though

I presume from the Westerlands reading. They should.probably be taken down though

Despite the Westerlands notes having been made an SSM?

I do agree that details should not be in those pages, since we don't know what in the notes was a mistake and what was correct, since it has been confirmed that there are mistakes in there.

Despite the Westerlands notes having been made an SSM?

Hmmm, that's a point. I suppose we have the Winds sample chapter summaries there. Ran would probably have to give the deciding word. I'm just thinking that its not clearly in a place where people can recognise it as containing spoilers (i.e. under a WOIAF heading) whereas the sample chapters are :dunno:

I'd probably play it safe and wait until it is published material but... Ran would be the one to ask

I'd suggest making the pages for characters, but limiting it to information like:

"Tybald Lannister" was the eldest son of Lord Gerold Lannister. He was the twin brother of Tion Lannister, and the older brother of Tytos and Jason Lannister.

Just so people can keep characters apart, but further nothing else until after the 3 month spoiler period.. So no description on how he died, who he was engaged to, when he died etc.

Since Ran did state that updating family trees on publication wasn´t a problem.. creating the information filled pages, that's the problem.

But, of course, Ran has the final say :)

I'd suggest making the pages for characters, but limiting it to information like:

"Tybald Lannister" was the eldest son of Lord Gerold Lannister. He was the twin brother of Tion Lannister, and the older brother of Tytos and Jason Lannister.

Just so people can keep characters apart, but further nothing else until after the 3 month spoiler period.. So no description on how he died, who he was engaged to, when he died etc.

Since Ran did state that updating family trees on publication wasn´t a problem.. creating the information filled pages, that's the problem.

But, of course, Ran has the final say :)

I agree, that would probably be okay :)

So the pages that Nittanian mentioned should be taken down? This is one of them as an example

I agree, that would probably be okay :)

So the pages that Nittanian mentioned should be taken down? This is one of them as an example

Well, perhaps a solution would be to delete everything on that page, with the exception of this line:

"The Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion was a brief conflict during the reign of Aegon V Targaryen. "

That would be like my example of Tybalt Lannister above.. But if you guys feel that even that is too much, then yeah, the entire page can be deleted..

Look at the Ellyn Reyne page. That her page is renamed (it was previously called Ellyn Tarbeck), is fine. But all that info that's on there should be deleted. All that should be stated, is who she is related to. So "she was a member of House Reyne, she was the sister off ... and ...". Stating on that page to who she had been married (Tion Lannister and Walderran Tarbeck) might also be a good idea, but that's really pushing the limit. All the rest of the info on there (with the exception of the little bit that is from Storm and Feast) should be taken down again.

Would it be an idea to state on the wiki home page that there is a spoiler period where info from TRP and the world book isn´t allowed until the three month spoiler period is over? If necessary, refer to this thread for info on what is and isn't allowed.. I can put the decisions made here in the OP if that makes it easier...

Because I predict that the wiki will explode on October 28... With all kinds of people being enthusiastic and trying to place what they've read in the world book on the wiki as soon as is possible..

Would it be an idea to state on the wiki home page that there is a spoiler period where info from TRP and the world book isn´t allowed until the three month spoiler period is over? If necessary, refer to this thread for info on what is and isn't allowed.. I can put the decisions made here in the OP if that makes it easier...

That would probably be a good idea in theory, but as RumHam you pointed out, I think some people must do this purposely because they just kept re-posting the stuff after it was deleted. It might be a good idea for those who do it by accident though. :)

That would probably be a good idea in theory, but as RumHam you pointed out, I think some people must do this purposely because they just kept re-posting the stuff after it was deleted. It might be a good idea for those who do it by accident though. :)

When a few people keep doing it, that can be handled by deleting their work (for the time being) and alarming them personally (if a few people keep an eye on it, that is. It cannot be done by one person).

People who do it by accident might be stopped when seeing such a warning on the home page of the wiki.

BTW, I worked on the Ellyn Reyne page. You think it's okay like this, or should more be deleted?

• 3 weeks later...

A few questions for Ran:

1) For the World Book, on the wiki until the spoiler period has ended, besides the family trees being allowed to be updated, would pages for all new characters with a 1 or 2 lines of description (which house are they from, who are their parents and siblings, when were they born) be allowed? No detailed texts on all their accomplishments, of course. But just enough info to make sure that someone reading the world book, who wonders who, for example, Tion Lannister is, can type in the name in the search box of the wiki, and find himself on a page where he can see who Tion's parents and siblings are, when Tion lived, and the family tree depicting that same stuff.

2) About the Fire and Blood information: From the last reading, we have a very, very detailed report from Lord Varys. Is this information allowed on the wiki (seeing as the World Book is many years away)? If so, should the source for that information be the post of Lord Varys (wondering, as it contains speculation from him, though it is stated when it is speculation and when not), or will the report be posted on westeros.org (as has been done for the Westerland reading), so we can link to that?

Ok, so today, I've seen information from the Westerlands reading and the most recent Fire and Blook reading make its way onto the wiki. We're talking about years of birth and death only, currently.

Is this allowed?

If so:

The Westerland reading is placed on westeros.org/Citadel. Should the Westerlandreading page on westeros.org be the source to refer to? And how about the Fire and Blood reading notes? Will they be placed on westeros.org/Citadel?

• 2 months later...

Archived