Rethinking Romance: Love Stories of ASOIAF, Part 2

Le Cygne

I'd just like to dip my toe in and say, I've really enjoyed reading this thread, and the essay's are thoughtful and heartfelt. Great job everyone, + Longie, I loved your take on Sam + Gilly. Also, the confidence with which you declared '' Yeah I'm going there '' in relation to the fandoms opinion on a certain description, really made me laugh. :P

• 4 months later...

I've finished Sam and Gilly part 2.  My apologies for taking so long! 

Sam and Gilly.  Part 2.

“No happy choices and no happy endings.”  Samwell Tarly.

He reflects that the Citadel ‘did not permit novices to keep wives or paramours, at least not openly.  He thinks “Besides, if I stay with Gilly very much longer, how will I ever find the strength to leave her?”  He had to leave her, or desert.  “I said the words, if I desert it will mean my head, and how will that help Gilly?”  Also, when Sam departs for the Citadel she gives him a kiss for luck.  But if Sam and Gilly continued to have sex as I believe, does Gilly have Sam’s bastard in her belly?  Alas, we are left with questions that must wait to be answered.

Even though I am late to the party, this was a great read LongRider. Thank you for all your efforts.
With regard to Gilly being pregnant I want to point out that since she is breast feeding, it is very unlikely that she can conceive.

Hello Parizad!  Thank you for reading my essays and I'm glad you enjoyed them.   :cheers: 

Speculation about Gilly being PG is speculation of course.  As for breast feeding being a protection against pregnancy, well, all I know is that in real life, it's not much so, a pregnancy could be possible.   :dunno:

And Tarly just having to take in a wilding girl and his sons' bastard?  Oh, the lovely (for us) heartburn. Then for him to be heir?  Even better.     :lol:

• 2 years later...

Sansa and Sandor - Sansa and the Hound as Beauty and the Beast ---

"For in that solemn silence is heard in the whisper of every sleeping thing: Look, look at me, come wake me up, for still here I'll be." ~ Beauty and the Beast (2017)

Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête) is a coming of age story, a story of sexual awakening (the Beast awakens the beast within Beauty) and marriage. Beauty and the Beast bring out the best in each other.

Jean Cocteau's La Belle et la Bête (the inspiration for Sansa and the Hound)

Those familiar with the 1991 cartoon will recognize some of the elements of the story, but certainly not the tone. Cocteau uses haunting images and bold Freudian symbols to suggest that emotions are at a boil in the subconscious of his characters. Consider the extraordinary shot where Belle waits at the dining table in the castle for the Beast's first entrance. He appears behind her and approaches silently. She senses his presence, and begins to react in a way that some viewers have described as fright, although it is clearly orgasmic. Before she has even seen him, she is aroused to her very depths, and a few seconds later, as she tells him she cannot marry--a Beast!--she toys with a knife that is more than a knife.

Beauty and the Beast, Visions and Revisions of an Old Tale by Betsy Hearne

• The Beast assumes a passive role and Beauty an active one. The Beast basically sits around waiting to be rescued by the handsome princess, as soon as she loosens her ties with home and family, especially her father...
  • The Beast, who is first seen as repulsive, is in the end seen before any transformation, as irresistible. He is an ostensible villain who turns out to be vulnerable and even heroic in beastly form...
  • The Beast's task is patience; Beauty's is perception. Beauty, first seen as infinitely desirable, finds herself desiring, and this most loyal daughter turns out to be a promise-breaker, acting in a beastly manner toward a true friend. Before her final choice, one is attracted to the Beast and impatient with Beauty...
  • Beauty must learn to believe not what she sees, but what she feels…
  • On Cocteau’s version: Beauty’s revelation at the end - "I was the monster, my Beast" - climaxes the many reversals explored in both picture and dialogue...
  • “Beauty and the Beast” offers the promise that for all our human ugliness and brutality, we can be acceptable, even lovable, to another human being.  The continuing relevance of “Beauty and the Beast” as a modern theme stems from this fearful knowledge that we are each beastly, juxtaposed with the hopeful knowledge that we are each beautiful.

The Hound says the Beast's lines

• La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the Beast): One does not call me "my Lord"; one calls me "Beast." I don't like compliments.
  • Sansa and the Hound: "Spare me your empty little compliments, girl … and your ser's. I am no knight.... And I'm no lord..."

Beauty and the Beast symbolism at the tourney

• The tourney in Sansa's story is loaded with Beauty and the Beast symbolism that sets up the rest of the story
  • Beauty is Sansa (she's often described as beautiful; a "flowering" maiden, she's drawn to the Beast, but afraid to take the leap from father to Beast)
  • The Beast is the Hound (he's often described in beastly terms; he's no lord, and he doesn't like empty compliments, but he likes Beauty)
  • Father is Ned (Beauty wants to leave the nest, and Father leads her away from home, then leaves her with the Beast, where the tale plays out)
  • False Father is Littlefinger (he tries to take Beauty's father's place, but he's false, and leads her astray, like her sisters did in the fairytale)
  • The Prince is Joffrey (Beauty calls him my prince; he's beautiful, but deep down inside, she prefers the beastly Beast)
  • The Rose is Loras, the Knight of Flowers (the rose plays its part, and leads Beauty to the Beast, then is cast aside)
  • False Rose is Tyrion, the Knight of Flowers in the Dark (what he calls himself when he makes his pitch to Beauty, but she casts him aside, too)
  • The Beast (the Hound) is the champion at the tourney for Beauty's Father (Ned)
  • Beauty (Sansa) tells her Father (Ned) she knows the Beast (the Hound) will win
  • Beauty (Sansa) remembers the Beast (the Hound) was the champion at her Father's tourney
  • The Beast (the Hound) defeats all of Beauty's potential suitors (representing Baratheon, Lannister, and Tyrell) at the tourney
  • The Rose (Loras) yields to the Beast (the Hound); the Rose cheats at the tourney and loses, the Beast is the true knight and wins
  • The Beast (the Hound) says the Beast's lines after the Prince (Joffrey) tells him to take Beauty (Sansa) to the castle
  • False Father (Littlefinger) bets against the Beast (the Hound) and loses; he notes False Rose (Tyrion) would have bet against the Beast and lost, too
  • Beauty (Sansa) misses the Beast (the Hound), while the Beast nearly dies of heartbreak remembering Beauty ("That's how you kill a man... You remember where the heart is?")
  • The Rose (Loras) and False Rose (Tyrion) always yield to the Beast (the Hound) in Beauty's (Sansa's) thoughts and dreams (the Beast/the Hound always wins, as he did at the tourney)
  • For example, Beauty (Sansa) considers kissing the Rose (Loras), but she gives the kiss to the Beast (the Hound)
  • For example, Beauty (Sansa) dreams of the False Rose (Tyrion) in the marriage bed with her, but she replaces him with the Beast (the Hound)
  • The story continues throughout all the books, from first to last
  • Quotes from the tourney: "Spare me your empty little compliments, girl … and your ser's. I am no knight... She found his massive shoulder with her hand. "He was no true knight," she whispered to him. The Hound threw back his head and roared... Sansa said, “I knew the Hound would win.”... “Is the Hound the champion now?” Sansa asked Ned. “No,” he told her. “There will be one final joust, between the Hound and the Knight of Flowers.” But Sansa had the right of it after all. A few moments later Ser Loras Tyrell walked back onto the field in a simple linen doublet and said to Sandor Clegane, “I owe you my life. The day is yours, ser.” “I am no ser,” the Hound replied, but he took the victory, and the champion’s purse, and, for perhaps the first time in his life, the love of the commons. They cheered him as he left the lists to return to his pavilion... He had been the champion in her father's tourney, Sansa remembered.

While Beauty and the Beast are together and apart

Beauty and the Beast, their story together ---

• Beauty's father leads her to the Prince's castle, but there she finds a Beast, who protects her, and wants to marry her, but she's afraid to make the leap from father to Beast, from daughter to lover
  • As Sansa makes the transition, there are many juxtapositions of Ned and the Hound, father and the Beast; for example: "Strong hands grasped her by the shoulders, and for a moment Sansa thought it was her father, but when she turned, it was the burned face of Sandor Clegane looking down at her"
  • Both Sansa and Sandor are idealists; as children, he played with the knight toy, no doubt rescuing a fair maiden, and she loved songs of knights and fair maidens
  • Sansa and Sandor, like Beauty and the Beast, see the good in each other and draw that out, they are better for knowing each other
  • And so (the reader hopes) Beauty and the Beast find their way back to each other
  • Cocteau has Beauty refuse Avenant's offer of marriage in the beginning, but in the end, Beauty accepts the same man (in appearance) that she rejected before
  • This symbolically reflects Beauty's transition as she overcomes her fears about sex, played out with her exchanges with the Beast, who brings out the beast (sexuality) in her
  • It’s when Sansa is ready to take that leap from father to Beast, when she faces her fears about sex, that Sandor, in turn, relinquishes the last vestiges of the Hound persona, represented by the abandonment of his helm
  • At the same time Sandor nearly dies on the Trident, Sansa is ready to look at him
  • In Cocteau's version, in the end, Beauty calls the Beast "my Beast" and upon his transformation, Marlene Dietrich said with dismay, "Where is my beautiful Beast?"
  • The subtext of fear is excitement; in the end, Cocteau has Beauty say "I like being afraid with you" as they are about to "fly away" together

Beauty's story ---

"As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak." ~ Sansa on Sandor, AFFC

• Sansa "remembers" kissing Sandor three times
  • She tells us she's been thinking about Sandor while lying awake at night in bed, and she wishes he was there, and she regrets not going with him
  • She puts his bloody cloak (red on white, traditional consummation symbolism) with her summer silks... the cloak she clutches to her bare breasts then tells us no velvet felt so fine, the cloak she chooses to get under in a scene filled with sexual symbolism
  • After dreaming a thousand times of a tall strong man kissing her when she marries him, she keeps the cloak of a tall strong man who she pretends she kissed in a cedar chest, commonly used as a "hope chest" where young women preparing for marriage keep treasures
  • She tells us she understands Sandor because she knows his secret, she wonders where he is, she dreams of him in bed with her, asking for a song, a song she says she'll sing for him gladly one day, a song he remembers with his dying breath
  • When the other girls are pretending to kiss a man, she "one ups" them in her thoughts, what would the other girls think of her "kissing the Hound, as she had"?
  • She models herself as a bastard (Alayne Stone) on Mya Stone, and when she hears older men make the best husbands, plays matchmaker for Mya and Lothor, at the same time she's matching herself with Sandor (note, even the spelling of Lothor and Sandor is similar)
  • Catelyn thinks Mya is like Sansa, "She sounded so like Sansa, so happy and innocent with her dreams," and notes Mya Stone is born on the wrong side of the blanket, something Sansa also thinks about Alayne, while she pretends to kiss Sandor
  • Sansa is so focused on Sandor as her protector, she thinks she hears him coming to her rescue: "Singer," a rough voice said, "best go, if you want to sing again." The light was dim, but she saw a faint glimmer of a blade... It was Lothor Brune's voice, she realized. Not the Hound's, no, how could it be? Of course it had to be Lothor.
  • When she pretends to kiss Sandor instead of Sweetrobin, this is not the first time she uses Sweetrobin as a kissing stand-in for Sandor (he says let's stay in bed and read stories and kiss)
  • She has thought of Sandor this way so often, she doesn't even have to name him anymore, and we know who he is
  • She refers to him as "he" (she doesn't name him in her dream of him in her marriage bed, or later when she pretends she's "kissing" him, for example)
  • "She found herself" -  Sandor's kiss helps her find Sansa
  • "He had come to Sansa" - this is what she wants to happen again
  • "He left me" with nothing but his cloak, like a jilted bride; a little while later, when she's asked about the marriage bed, she remembers the Hound, and how he'd kissed her
  • She says "he left me" and he says he left her, too; they both regret that he left her
  • "She could still remember how it felt" - she has imagined this so many times, it seems real
  • Later, she rescues Sweetrobin, like Sandor rescued her
  • Before, Sandor said: "Look at me," and she closed her eyes
  • Now, she says: I could close my eyes. The mule knows the way, he has no need of me. But that seemed more something Sansa would have done, that frightened girl. Alayne was an older woman, and bastard brave.
  • Before, Sandor was always there to catch her before she could fall: She could still feel the cruel pinch of fingers on her wrist as she lost her balance and began to fall. When his hand fell away, another hand, stronger, shoved her back into her saddle.
  • Now, she doesn't fall: The steepness of this part of the descent made her cling tightly to her saddle. I will not fall.
  • She looks now, and she stays on the saddle, like Sandor helped her do before; she's a woman now, and she's not afraid to look
  • Beauty is ready for the Beast, but where is he?

The Beast's Story ---

• The Beast proves his love by taking care of Beauty's sister
  • The song about stealing a sweet kiss with a blade from the maid from Gulltown is sung just as Sandor, who nearly stole a sweet kiss from a maid "from Gulltown", re-enters the story
  • Sandor remembers Sansa's song: "You ought to sing me a pretty little song, the way your sister did"
  • Before, he said "I'm no lord"
  • Now, he's ready to bend, in order to reconnect with Sansa: "If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he'll make me a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet" (the subtext is Sansa needs him)
  • He hears Sansa was forced to marry someone else, and has to sit, drinks too much too fast, then nearly loses the fight
  • Before, Sansa gasps when it seems Sandor will fall from his saddle: Wood shattered, and the Hound reeled, fighting to keep his seat. Sansa gasped... The Hound just managed to stay in his saddle.... This time, when Jaime shifted his seat, Sandor Clegane shifted with him... Sansa said, “I knew the Hound would win.”
  • Now, it's Sandor who can't stay in the saddle, it's time to rest: He slumped in the saddle, and sweated, and his ear began to bleed through the bandage. He needed all his strength just to keep from falling off Stranger... “I need to rest,” was all he said. This time when he dismounted he did fall.
  • Before, he said: "That's where the heart is, girl. That's how you kill a man."
  • Now, the Hound (the Beast) asks again, "You remember where the heart is?" as he nearly dies from heartbreak on the Trident, remembering Sansa (Beauty)
  • He made a queer sound, and it took her a moment to realize he was sobbing. “And the little bird, your pretty sister, I stood there in my white cloak and let them beat her. I took the bloody song, she never gave it. I meant to take her too. I should have. I should have fucked her bloody and ripped her heart out before leaving her for that dwarf.”
  • His heart breaks for Sansa, as he imagines what she has gone through
  • He mentions his cloak again, he pledged to protect her, but feels he let her down; at the same time, she's remembering how much he did for her
  • He wishes she had given him her heart and her desires (her song), while at the same time, she's giving him her kiss and remembers giving him her song
  • He says "I left her" just as she says "he left me" - they both regret that he left her

A song and a kiss

• Sandor often asks Sansa to sing, and as Bran notes, "my sister Sansa likes the kissing stories"
  • Sansa remembers Sandor kissing her three times:
  • The first time: Sansa is boasting to herself about kissing Sandor when the other girls play a kissing game: Sansa wondered what Megga would think about kissing the Hound as she had
  • The second time: Sansa is playing a kissing game with Sweetrobin, enjoying the thought of Sandor's kiss and missing him: She could still remember how it felt with his cruel mouth pressed down on her own... He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.
  • The third time: Sansa places Sandor in her marriage bed: "You do know what goes on in a marriage bed, I hope?"  She thought of Tyrion, and of the Hound and how he'd kissed her, and gave a nod.
  • A song and a kiss, throughout their story:
  • "Sing me a song, why don't you? Go on. Sing to me. Some song about knights and fair maids. You like knights, don't you?"
  • “I … I know a song about Florian and Jonquil.” “Florian and Jonquil? A fool and his cunt. Spare me. But one day I’ll have a song from you, whether you will it or no.” “I will sing it for you gladly.”
  • He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her.
  • "I'll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said... Sing, little bird."
  • Then she remembered: she had prayed to the mother to "save" Sandor (He is no true knight but he saved me all the same, she told the Mother. Save him if you can, and gentle the rage inside him), and now, when he comes to her from a ship called Prayer, she sings for the Mother to "save" him (Gentle Mother, font of mercy, save our sons from war, we pray)
  • "Little bird," he said once more.
  • "Off to Gulltown to see the fair maid, heigh-ho, heigh-ho. I'll steal a sweet kiss with the point of my blade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho. I'll make her my love and we'll rest in the shade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho."
  • "And she sang for me. You didn't know that, did you? Your sister sang me a sweet little song."
  • "I took the bloody song, she never gave it."
  • As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt... He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.
  • Sansa thinks of Sandor during a marriage ceremony with another man: He is even uglier than the Hound.
  • When Sansa hears her aunt "singing" during sex, she becomes aware of the double meaning of the word song
  • Right after this, she dreams of Sandor in the marriage bed as her husband: When he climbed into the bed his face was scarred only on one side. "I'll have a song from you," he rasped.
  • And again, she associates Sandor with a song and a kiss: "You do know what goes on in a marriage bed, I hope?" She thought of Tyrion, and of the Hound and how he'd kissed her, and gave a nod.
  • Before the story is over, "she'll be singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss"
  • Meanwhile she's pretending they kissed in the story: Drifting snowflakes brushed her face as light as lover's kisses, and melted on her cheeks.
  • Sandor is the only one who asks Sansa to sing; Littlefinger told her life is not a song and Tyrion said the last thing she needs is more songs
  • The Bear and the Maiden Fair, a song where a maiden thinks she wants one thing (an idealized knight, "a man as different from Sandor Clegane... as... well, as a flower from a dog"), but really wants another (sexual satisfaction, "I called for a knight, but you're a bear!"), and finds what she wants in a beast, is played at a luncheon about Sansa's marriage prospects

Florian and Jonquil

• Sansa loves songs, especially the songs about Florian and Jonquil, a knight and his fair maiden
  • The songs about Florian and Jonquil were her very favorites.
  • Sansa is looking for three things, and she finds them all in Sandor:
  • 1. Her True Knight: Help me, she prayed, send me a friend, a true knight to champion me.
  • 2. Her Beast: Sansa found herself thinking of Lady again. She could smell out falsehood, she could.
  • 3. Her Florian: Home, she thought, home, he is going to take me home, he'll keep me safe, my Florian.
  • Then Sansa runs straight into Sandor: She was racing headlong down the serpentine steps when a man lurched out of a hidden doorway. Sansa caromed into him and lost her balance. Iron fingers caught her by the wrist before she could fall. And one by one, Sandor takes on each of the three things Sansa is looking for:
  • 1. Her True Knight: "You like knights, don't you?... True knights..."
  • 2. Her Beast: "A dog can smell a lie, you know."
  • 3. Her Florian: "I never got my song... Florian and Jonquil?"
  • Sansa and Sandor talk about true knights at her father's tourney: The silence went on and on, so long that she began to grow afraid for him now, not for herself. She found his massive shoulder with her hand. "He was no true knight," she whispered to him.
  • Sansa, the fair maid, and Sandor, who becomes her knight, have ongoing exchanges about Florian and Jonquil: "Sing me a song, why don't you? Go on. Sing to me. Some song about knights and fair maids. You like knights, don't you?" “I … I know a song about Florian and Jonquil... I will sing it for you gladly.”
  • When Sandor comes to Sansa before he leaves to rescue her, he asks her to sing Florian and Jonquil; now, things have changed between them, taking a romantic turn: He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her... "I'll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said."... Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers.
  • Sandor and Dunk, a true knight, are paralleled in stories where they play Florian to their respective Jonquils, Sansa and Tanselle
  • Dunk is the champion at the Ashford tourney, where he is a true knight to Tanselle, who plays Jonquil in a puppet show; Sandor is the champion at Sansa's father's tourney, where he is a true knight to Sansa, who becomes his Jonquil
  • Dunk remembers the song about stealing a sweet kiss with a blade while digging a grave: The spring rains had softened the ground, so Dunk had no trouble digging the grave. He chose a spot on the western slope of a low hill... Only a few days past, he had been singing as they rode, the old song about going to Gulltown to see a fair maid, but instead of Gulltown he'd sung of Ashford. Off to Ashford to see the fair maid, heigh-ho, heigh-ho, Dunk thought miserably as he dug.
  • Sandor digs a grave, while Sansa pretends they kissed, and pretends to be a maid from Gulltown, like in the song: On the upper slopes they saw three boys driving sheep, and higher still they passed a lichyard where a brother bigger than Brienne was struggling to dig a grave... "Off to Gulltown to see the fair maid, heigh-ho, heigh-ho. I'll steal a sweet kiss with the point of my blade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho. I'll make her my love and we'll rest in the shade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho."
  • Dunk steals a sweet kiss with a blade: With one hard yank he pulled her down on top of him and kissed her... But when they finally broke apart, he drew his dagger. "I know what I want to remember you by, m'lady."
  • Sandor almost steals a sweet kiss with a blade (and Sansa pretends he did): He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her... "I'll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said." His dagger was out, poised at her throat.

More sexual symbolism

• Sandor is at the center of Sansa's flowering (his "steel" even shows up at the end of her flowering dream) and sexual awakening (she dreams of him in the marriage bed, asking for a song)
  • Blackwater is a symbolic wedding night, reminiscent of Sansa's dream of marriage to a tall, strong man who gives her his cloak of protection and kisses her
  • Sandor pledges to protect her, declaring his love: "I could keep you safe. They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them" and gives her his cloak; later, Sansa adds the kiss
  • Red on white is traditional consummation symbolism, and Sandor's bloody cloak represents the bloody white sheet; Sansa puts on Sandor's cloak herself, unlike the cloaks given to her by other men
  • Sansa feels Sandor's dagger!dick pushing into her, then a wetness that is not blood, then a tear, and she caresses his face and gets under his bloody cloak (under "him"), and then bells ring across "her" "hills and hollows" (traditional sexual symbolism)
  • There are many callbacks to Blackwater; what happens between Sansa and Sandor that night is described in sexual terms, then Sansa and Sandor repeatedly remember what happened between them that night in sexual terms
  • The author clearly places a sexual emphasis on that night, on what happens between them, as the feelings simmering beneath the surface come to a boil, just as in Cocteau's version of Beauty and the Beast
  • Sansa adds the kiss to that night, not to a new fantasy; she places importance on what happened between them that night, remembering what she was feeling and imagining what he must have been feeling, too
  • At the Fingers, in a callback to Blackwater, a hound is waiting in bed for Sansa, and the hound licks her face (dog kiss), then she ruffles his fur (caresses him), then she dreams of the Hound in her marriage bed
  • The sexual symbolism of the Blackwater scene is reminiscent of other uses of symbolism throughout the books, notably the dagger to "steal" a wildling woman, and a song about stealing a sweet kiss with a blade from a fair maid (from Gulltown); in other storylines, Dunk pulls a dagger on Rohanne, Jaime pulls a dagger on Brienne, Jon pulls a dagger on Ygritte, and more
  • Sandor places his sword on Sansa, and she wants to "pet" him; He laid the edge of his longsword against her neck, just under her ear. Sansa could feel the sharpness of the steel.... He is a dog, just as he says. A half-wild, mean-tempered dog that bites any hand that tries to pet him, and yet will savage any man who tries to hurt his masters... She was afraid of Sandor Clegane... and yet, some part of her wished that Ser Dontos had a little of the Hound's ferocity.
  • Sansa defends Sandor's "jousting": Of late Ser Osmund had taken Sandor Clegane’s place by Joffrey’s side, and Sansa had heard the women at the washing well saying he was as strong as the Hound, only younger and faster. If that was so, she wondered why she had never once heard of these Kettleblacks before Ser Osmund was named to the Kingsguard.
  • "Danger is exciting": Though he had the same black hair, hooked nose, and easy smile as his brother Osmund, one cheek bore three long scratches... "Scars make a man look dangerous, and danger is exciting.” (a man matching Sandor's description, with a scar on his cheek)
  • Sandor is there when Sansa is "flowering": she has cramps and nearly falls, but he is there, with his "sword" just as he was during the rescue, and she remembers (his sword a blur of steel that trailed a red mist as it swung... "the little bird's bleeding... see to that cut") and dreams about it (then she saw the bright glimmer of steel)
  • Sandor tries to reach Sansa's family, and is prevented by the Red Wedding; after saying this: "You ought to sing me a pretty little song, the way your sister did", he expresses his frustration with another blade: Whenever he took his axe to chop some wood for a fire, he would slide into a cold rage, hacking savagely at the tree or the deadfall or the broken limb, until they had twenty times as much kindling and firewood as they’d needed.

Sandor's cloak (and marriage symbolism)

• Sansa keeps Sandor's cloak in a cedar chest (used by young women to keep treasures for when they are married) with her summer silks (dresses), a sign of hope that winter will pass, and there will be time for happiness (she sang to him of "a better day")
  • Other men force her to wear their cloaks (Tyrion, while "standing on the back of a fool" in the "mockery of a marriage" and Littlefinger, after he kidnaps her and without asking her), but Sansa puts on Sandor's cloak herself, twice, and often she remembers he gave it to her
  • The first time: Sansa clutched it against her chest, fists bunched hard in the white wool. The coarse weave was scratchy against her skin, but no velvet had ever felt so fine (the cloak is a stand-in for Sandor, coarse but feels fine)
  • Sandor gives Sansa his cloak while protecting her (cloak of protection marriage symbolism), and she puts his cloak on herself (to contrast when she was forced to wear the cloak of someone she was forced to marry)
  • The second time: She shook out the torn cloak and huddled beneath it on the floor, shivering. How long she stayed there she could not have said, but after a time she heard a bell ringing... calling across the hills and hollows
  • Again, Sandor gives Sansa his cloak while protecting her; Sandor: "I could keep you safe", Sansa: Sandor Clegane had come to her chambers to take her from the city
  • Sansa places Sandor's cloak with her dresses in a cedar chest (traditionally hope chests, to prepare for marriage): She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks.
  • Sansa often observes and remembers Sandor's cloak, throughout the story:
  • Sandor Clegane was the first rider to appear. He wore an olive-green cloak over his soot-grey armor. That, and his hound's-head helm, were his only concession to ornament.
  • The Hound’s scarred face was hard to read. He took a long moment to consider. "Why not? I have no lands nor wife to forsake, and who’d care if I did?" The burned side of his mouth twisted. "But I warn you, I’ll say no knight’s vows."
  • In the back of the royal box, Sandor Clegane stood at guard, his hands resting on his swordbelt. The white cloak of the Kingsguard was draped over his broad shoulders and fastened with a jeweled brooch, the snowy cloth looking somehow unnatural against his brown roughspun tunic and studded leather jerkin. "Lady Sansa," the Hound announced curtly when he saw her.
  • "Enough," she heard the Hound rasp... Boros shoved a meaty hand down the front of Sansa's bodice and gave a hard yank. The silk came tearing away, baring her to the waist. Sansa covered her breasts with her hands... Sandor Clegane unfastened his cloak and tossed it at her. Sansa clutched it against her chest, fists bunched hard in the white wool. The coarse weave was scratchy against her skin, but no velvet had ever felt so fine.
  • Sandor Clegane cantered briskly through the gates astride Sansa’s chestnut courser. The girl was seated behind, both arms tight around the Hound’s chest... Clegane lifted her to the ground. His white cloak was torn and stained, and blood seeped through a jagged tear in his left sleeve. "The little bird's bleeding. Someone take her back to her cage and see to that cut."
  • "I could keep you safe," he rasped. "They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them." He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her... Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers. The room was too dark for her to see him, but she could feel the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood. "Little bird," he said once more, his voice raw and harsh as steel on stone. Then he rose from the bed. Sansa heard cloth ripping, followed by the softer sound of retreating footsteps. When she crawled out of bed, long moments later, she was alone. She found his cloak on the floor, twisted up tight, the white wool stained by blood and fire. The sky outside was darker by then, with only a few pale green ghosts dancing against the stars. A chill wind was blowing, banging the shutters. Sansa was cold. She shook out the torn cloak and huddled beneath it on the floor, shivering.
  • I wish the Hound were here. The night of the battle, Sandor Clegane had come to her chambers to take her from the city, but Sansa had refused. Sometimes she lay awake at night, wondering if she'd been wise. She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks. She could not say why she'd kept it. The Hound had turned craven, she heard it said; at the height of the battle, he got so drunk the Imp had to take his men. But Sansa understood. She knew the secret of his burned face. It was only the fire he feared. That night, the wildfire had set the river itself ablaze, and filled the very air with green flame. Even in the castle, Sansa had been afraid. Outside . . . she could scarcely imagine it.
  • She had dreamed of her wedding a thousand times, and always she had pictured how her betrothed would stand behind her tall and strong, sweep the cloak of his protection over her shoulders, and tenderly kiss her cheek as he leaned forward to fasten the clasp.
  • He made a queer sound, and it took her a moment to realize he was sobbing. "And the little bird, your pretty sister, I stood there in my white cloak and let them beat her."
  • As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

Lady and the Hound

• Sansa usually calls Sandor the Hound (the Beast); she often thinks of hounds and dogs, she makes "fast friends" and sleeps with a hound when she dreams of the Hound in bed with her asking for a song
  • Sandor (The Hound) often appears when Sansa thinks of Lady, her lost wolf; the two are connected in this way throughout the story
  • Sansa insists on feeding Lady, who is called a dog, at the table: "I've never seen an aurochs," Sansa said, feeding a piece of bacon to Lady under the table... "A noble lady does not feed dogs at her table," she said... "She's not a dog, she's a direwolf," Sansa pointed out as Lady licked her fingers with a rough tongue. "Anyway, Father said we could keep them with us if we want."... and later Tywin refers to the Hound this way, "Can anyone say the same of the Hound? You feed your dog bones under the table, you do not seat him beside you on the high bench.”
  • Sandor and Lady "compete" to protect Sansa: Strong hands grasped her by the shoulders, and for a moment Sansa thought it was her father, but when she turned, it was the burned face of Sandor Clegane looking down at her... Lady moved between them, rumbling a warning.
  • Sandor does Lady's "between" move to protect Sansa when Lady is gone: Sandor Clegane knelt before her, between her and Joffrey. With a delicacy surprising in such a big man, he dabbed at the blood welling from her broken lip.
  • Sansa thinks about the Hound protecting her, then Lady: Joffrey laughed. "He's my mother's dog, in truth. She has set him to guard me, and so he does." "You mean the Hound," she said... "Is it safe to leave him behind?" She found herself thinking of Lady, wishing the direwolf was with her.'
  • Sansa defends the Hound, just as she defends Lady: "It's not the same," Sansa said. "The Hound is Joffrey's sworn shield. Your butcher's boy attacked the prince."
  • Robert to Ned, just before Lady dies: "A direwolf is a savage beast. Sooner or later it would have turned on your girl the same way the other did on my son. Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it."
  • The Hound protects Sansa: The girl speaks truly," the Hound rasped. "What a man sows on his name day, he reaps throughout the year."
  • Again: The others obeyed without question … except for the Hound, but Joff never asked the Hound to punish her... "Enough," she heard the Hound rasp.
  • And again: The Hound leapt at them, his sword a blur of steel that trailed a red mist as it swung. When they broke and ran before him he had laughed, his terrible burned face for a moment transformed.
  • And when Sansa thinks about Lady: Sansa found herself thinking of Lady again. She could smell out falsehood, she could...
  • She runs right into the Hound and he says: "A dog can smell a lie, you know."
  • And he protects her: "That one is nothing to fear, girl." The Hound laid a heavy hand on her shoulder. "Paint stripes on a toad, he does not become a tiger."
  • Sansa asks why he lets people call him a dog: As they were winding their way up the steps, she said, "Why do you let people call you a dog? You won't let anyone call you a knight." "I like dogs better than knights."
  • Sansa wants to pet him: He is a dog, just as he says. A half-wild, mean-tempered dog that bites any hand that tries to pet him, and yet will savage any man who tries to hurt his masters.
  • She wishes he was there to protect her when he's not there: Harsh as he was, she did not believe Sandor Clegane would let any harm come to her.
  • And again, she thinks about Lady and Sandor is there: Sansa backed away from the window... "Lady," she whimpered softly, wondering if she would meet her wolf again when she was dead.... Then something stirred behind her, and a hand reached out of the dark and grabbed her wrist.
  • When Sansa is offered an arranged marriage with Willas to escape the Lannisters, she focuses on puppies: She pictured the two of them sitting together in a garden with puppies in their laps...
  • When Sansa remembers the forced marriage to Tyrion, she's troubled, but then remembers Sandor, and feels better: The memory of her own wedding night with Tyrion was much with her. In the dark, I am the Knight of Flowers, he had said. I could be good to you. But that was only another Lannister lie. A dog can smell a lie, you know, the Hound had told her once. She could almost hear the rough rasp of his voice. Look around you, and take a good whiff. They're all liars here, and every one better than you. She wondered what had become of Sandor Clegane.
  • Dogs barking is associated with sex right before Sansa has her dream of the Hound in her bed: Her last shriek was so loud that it set the dogs to barking... A dog can smell a lie, you know, the Hound had told her once. She could almost hear the rough rasp of his voice.
  • Sansa sleeps with the hound she made friends with and she dreams of the Hound and then wishes the hound was Lady: And she dreamed of her wedding night too, of Tyrion's eyes devouring her as she undressed. Only then he was bigger than Tyrion had any right to be, and when he climbed into the bed his face was scarred only on one side. "I'll have a song from you," he rasped, and Sansa woke and found the old blind dog beside her once again. "I wish that you were Lady," she said.
  • When Sansa is lonely, she misses hounds: There were no horses on the mountain, no hounds to bark and growl, no knights training in the yard.
  • After Sansa pretends she kissed the Hound and thinks of him when asked what goes on in a marriage bed, she thinks of dogs barking: I will dream a sweet dream, and when I wake there will be dogs barking, women gossiping beside the well, swords ringing in the yard.
  • Dog the dog is a beastly stand-in for the Hound; Dog is big, fierce, protective, and bored at the QI, just like the Hound: "You're Joffrey's dog." "My own dog now."... The dog barked and wagged his tail. He was a huge, shaggy creature, ten stone of dog at least, but friendly. "Who does he belong to?" asked Podrick. "Why, to himself, and to the Seven. As to his name, he has not told me what it is. I call him Dog."... "Dog keeps me safe upon the roads, even in such trying times as these... Dog has killed a dozen wolves."... "A brief but furious struggle ensued before the dog came trotting back, wet and mud-spattered, with the crab between his jaws."... The gravedigger lowered his head. When Dog went to sniff him he dropped his spade and scratched his ear. From the way he moved, it was plain to see that he was lame. As he flung a spadeful of the stony soil over one shoulder, some chanced to spatter against their feet... Even Dog was bored... “There are bloodstains on the floor over there where Dog is sniffing." [where the Hound was injured at the inn]...
  • Another beastly stand-in, Stranger, is bored at the QI, too: Way down at the far end, well away from the other animals, a huge black stallion trumpeted at the sound of their voices and kicked at the door of his stall... “A handsome beast.”... "You may have seen a big black stallion in our stables. That was his warhorse, Stranger... I fear he has his former master’s nature.” The horse. She had seen the stallion, had heard it kicking, but she had not understood. Destriers were trained to kick and bite. In war they were a weapon, like the men who rode them. Like the Hound; and one day, Sansa will be "singing to the Stranger, begging for his kiss"

Little bird

• Sandor calls Sansa little bird, a pet name, many times throughout the story, and she tells him she will sing for him gladly one day
  • Sandor often asks Sansa to sing and says she can fly; he catches her before she can fall, over and over, when she's not ready to fly yet.
  • "Some septa trained you well. You're like one of those birds from the Summer Isles, aren't you? A pretty little talking bird, repeating all the pretty little words they taught you to recite."
  • The Hound threw back his head and roared. Sansa stumbled back, away from him, but he caught her arm. "No," he growled at her, "no, little bird, he was no true knight."
  • The Hound was right, she thought, I am only a little bird, repeating the words they taught me.
  • Sansa caromed into him and lost her balance. Iron fingers caught her by the wrist before she could fall, and a deep voice rasped at her. "It's a long roll down the serpentine, little bird. Want to kill us both?" His laughter was rough as a saw on stone. "Maybe you do." (callback to when he saved her from killing herself along with Joffrey)
  • "And what's Joff's little bird doing flying down the serpentine in the black of night?... You look almost a woman . . . face, teats, and you're taller too, almost . . . ah, you're still a stupid little bird, aren't you? Singing all the songs they taught you . . . sing me a song, why don't you? Go on. Sing to me. Some song about knights and fair maids. You like knights, don't you?"
  • "Do you like wine, little bird? True wine? A flagon of sour red, dark as blood, all a man needs. Or a woman." He laughed, shook his head. "Drunk as a dog, damn me. You come now. Back to your cage, little bird. I'll take you there. Keep you safe for the king." The Hound gave her a push, oddly gentle, and followed her down the steps.
  • "A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face." He cupped her under the jaw, raising her chin, his fingers pinching her painfully. "And that's more than little birds can do, isn't it? I never got my song."
  • The longer you keep him waiting, the worse it will go for you,” Sandor Clegane warned her... The Hound was always rough-tongued, but something in the way he had looked at her filled her with dread... The Hound snorted. "They trained you well, little bird."
  • A stab went through her so sharp that Sansa sobbed and clutched her belly. She might have fallen, but a shadow moved suddenly, and strong fingers grabbed her arm and steadied her... "The little bird thinks she has wings, does she? Or do you mean to end up crippled like that brother of yours?"
  • "The little bird still can't bear to look at me, can she?" The Hound released her. "You were glad enough to see my face when the mob had you, though. Remember?"... She could still feel the cruel pinch of fingers on her wrist as she lost her balance and began to fall. She’d thought she was going to die then, but the fingers had twitched, all five at once, and the man had shrieked loud as a horse. When his hand fell away, another hand, stronger, shoved her back into her saddle.
  • Sandor wears his heart on his sleeve: Clegane lifted her to the ground. His white cloak was torn and stained, and blood seeped through a jagged tear in his left sleeve. "The little bird’s bleeding. Someone take her back to her cage and see to that cut."
  • "Tell me, little bird, what kind of god makes a monster like the Imp, or a halfwit like Lady Tanda's daughter?... I'm honest. It's the world that's awful. Now fly away, little bird, I'm sick of you peeping at me."
  • Sandor calls Sansa little bird six times when he comes to rescue her: "Little bird. I knew you'd come." ... . "Don't you want to ask who's winning the battle, little bird?" ... "The little bird repeats whatever she hears. Going, yes." ... "You promised me a song, little bird. Have you forgotten?" ... "Sing, little bird. Sing for your little life."
  • And finally, before he leaves: Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers. The room was too dark for her to see him, but she could feel the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood. "Little bird," he said once more, his voice raw and harsh as steel on stone. Then he rose from the bed.
  • Later, Sansa misses "hounds to bark and growl" and wishes she could fly away from the Eyrie: "Would that I had wings as well."
  • She bonds with Sweetrobin over the story of a winged knight: "The Winged Knight could fly."
  • When Sandor tries to bring Sansa's sister home: He must have seen something in her face then, for he leaned closer. "Sansa. That's it, isn't it? The wolf bitch wants to kill the pretty bird."
  • When Sandor learns Sansa escaped the forced marriage: "The little bird flew away, did she? Well, bloody good for her. She shit on the Imp's head and flew off."
  • And Sandor's dying thoughts are of Sansa, the little bird: He made a queer sound, and it took her a moment to realize he was sobbing. "And the little bird, your pretty sister, I stood there in my white cloak and let them beat her. I took the bloody song, she never gave it."

Sansa compares Sandor positively to other men

• Sansa often remembers what Sandor said and did, comparing him positively to other men; she replaces other men in her thoughts and dreams with Sandor
  • Meryn (beats her) - later, she remembers what Sandor said
  • Joffrey (torments her, gropes her breast) - later, she remembers what Sandor said
  • Slynt (remembers what he did) - later, she remembers what Sandor said (hears his voice)
  • Kingsguard (beats her) - later, she notes that Sandor never beat her; later, she remembers what Sandor said
  • Rapists (attack her) - later, she remembers Sandor rescued her (repeatedly)
  • Ilyn (after Cersei scares her about rape) - she wishes Sandor was there to protect her instead
  • Tyrion (orders her to strip, gropes her breast) - she refuses to kneel for his cloak, but she clutches Sandor's cloak to her breasts and thinks no velvet felt so fine, and puts on Sandor's cloak herself, and keeps it, and thinks of it (and him) often; when she is forced to kiss Tyrion, she thinks of Sandor instead; later, she remembers what Sandor said (hears his voice), then dreams of Sandor in the marriage bed with her instead
  • Marillion (gropes her breast) - she imagines Sandor is there to rescue her instead (once again, hears his voice)
  • Littlefinger (forces kisses, also touches her breast, and tells her older men make the best husbands) - later, she pretends to kiss Sandor instead, and she places Sandor in the marriage bed because of how he'd kissed her instead
  • Loras (forgets her) - the rose leads to the beast, she remembers Sandor was the champion at her father's tourney instead; when she fantasizes about a kiss, she thinks Loras never kissed her, but Sandor did, so she gives Sandor the kiss instead
  • For Beauty, the Beast always wins (back to the tourney symbolism that's repeated throughout the story)

Extra - GRRM Commentary

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: And I do know there's all these people out there who are, as they call themselves, the SanSan fans, who want to see Sandor and Sansa get together at the end. So that's interesting, too.
TOM MERRITT: The TV show has sort of played with that a little and probably stoked those fires, I would think.
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: Oh, sure. And I've played with it in the books.
TOM MERRITT: Yeah, yeah.
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: There's something there. But it's still interesting to see how many people have responded to it.
VERONICA BELMONT: I'm not going to say that that hasn't crossed my mind. Maybe I need to go join one of those fan sites and learn more...
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: And what I take pride in as a writer, what gives me great satisfaction is that people are reacting to all of these characters... So that's what I'm striving for is to make these characters as real as I can. And so I like the complexity of the reactions. I like the fact that my readers debate who are the good guys, who are the bad guys, which characters they want to kill and which characters they want to marry and so forth and so on.

"You will see, in A STORM OF SWORDS and later volumes [there's only been one so far], that Sansa remembers the Hound kissing her the night he came to her bedroom... but if you look at the scene, he never does. That will eventually mean something, but just now it's a subtle touch, something most of the readers may not even pick up on."

"In A Storm of Swords, there is a chapter early on where Sansa is thinking back to the scene at the end of A Clash of Kings when The Hound came into her room during the battle. She thinks in the chapter about how he kissed her, but in the scene in A Clash of Kings, this actually didn’t happen. Was that a typo or something?"
"It’s not a typo. It is something! [Laughs] "Unreliable narrator" is the key phrase there. The second scene is from Sansa’s thoughts. And what does that reveal about her psychologically? I try to be subtle about these things."

"The night of the Blackwater. Well, I'm not going to give you a straight answer on that [laughs]. But I will say that a television show and a book each has its own strengths and weaknesses. There are tools that are available to me as a novelist that are not available to people doing a television show. And of course there are tools available to them that are not available to a novelist. They can lay in a soundtrack, they can do special effects, they can do amazing things I can't do, I just have words on paper. What can I do? Well, I can use things like the internal narrative, I can take you inside a character's thoughts, which you can't do on a TV show, you just have the words they speak, you see them from outside, because a camera is external, while prose is internal. And I have the device known as the unreliable narrator, which again they don't have. So think about those two aspects when you consider the night of the Blackwater."

"Getting to write words for Ron Perlman was one of the best parts of the three years I spent as a writer and producer on BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. We had a great team on that show; terrific writers, a top-notch crew, and a superb cast. Ron was twice nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of Vincent. If anyone ever makes a film of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, I wanted him to play the Hound."

"The 1946 French version, perhaps better known by its original French title, La Belle et la Bête. Written and directed by the legendary Jean Cocteau, this classic remains the definitive take on the tale, and helped to inspire Ron Koslow when he created his television version. In an era when depicting actual blood on screen was frowned upon, Cocteau had the Beast's hands smoke whenever he returned from a hunt, a lovely and poetic image that remains powerful today. The Beast's spooky castle, with human arms poking from the walls to grasp torches, lingers in the memory as well. And Jean Marais makes a great Beast. Second only to Ron Perlman as Vincent, I'd say, but then, I'm prejudiced."

"George thought it would be fun to consider the scene where the Hound encounters Sansa in her darkened chamber while the Battle of the Blackwater rages outside. When I think about Sansa and the Hound, I think about Beauty and the Beast. I don't mean any specific incarnation of that storyline, but just a perverse version of it. However, if there was one version that did come to mind, it was Jean Cocteau's 1946 film La Belle et la Bête... Still — I figured, because of the relatively odd composition, it was a longshot that George would go for this. I submitted my sketches and ideas. He selected this one almost immediately." [Here is the La Belle et la Bête poster art that the Sansa and the Hound calendar art parallels.]

"There were battles over censorship, how sexual things could be, whether a scene was too “politically charged,” how violent things could be. Don’t want to disturb anyone. We got into that fight on Beauty and the Beast. The Beast killed people. That was the point of the character. He was a beast."

• Beauty and the Beast on CBS (1987, Mailing List)  

"Television -- like virtually ALL art -- operates on the assumption of the implied ellipsis. That is to say, we assume that you know or can infer certain that certain things took place, even if they are not shown on the screen or referred to in dialogue...

"The bestiality thing was a concern with certain network execs, and some crazed viewers out there, but it was not the reason for the "no-kissing" rule. Koslow, Witt-Thomas, and CBS were all afraid of going too fast and losing the sexual tension.

"Many of us felt there should have been a real kiss at the end of "A Happy Life," but we lost that fight. Howard and Alex finally got a kiss into "Orphans," of course... but actually, I never felt that was the best place for it. I desperately wanted a kiss for the end of the chess scene in "A Kingdom by the Sea," after Catherine tells Vincent that she wished it had been him instead of Elliott, but Ron wouldn't hear of it.

"You'd be surprised how many scripts had kisses in them early on...

"A television show in active production is a huge on-rushing monster that must be fed. Yes, those of us who worked on B&B did our damndest to make it a good show, and tried to put all sorts of wonderful things into the episodes; literary allusions, foreshadowing, symbolism, you name it. But we also had deadlines, and we were doing a television show, and sometimes things happened for much for, ah, practical reasons...

"If Catherine and Vincent had ever married, it would have been in the final episode of the show after a ten-year run, ala M*A*S*H. Our show was a mythic adventure/romance, not a domestic drama. No doubt there are amy many misadventures and challenges after marriage, but that was not what we were about. BEAST KNOWS BEST is a whole different show...

"Violence... We were determined that if we were going to depict violenece (or "action" as the network likes to call it), we were going to show it as it really is -- nasty, ugly, painful, with _consequences_ to its victims and perpetrators alike. Too much TV violence is bloodless is all senses of the word; not only don't you see any blood, you don't _feel_ anything. The violence is sanitized, cheap, easy; death is reduced to an act break.

"Yes, we fell into that trap too from time to time, but for the most part, we tried to show violence as ugly, gut-wrenching, painful.

"In the first draft of "A Kingdom by the Sea," I wrote in a kiss. I felt the scene demanded it, and it was about time. Alas, Kos insisted it come out. Not unexpected. There were other kisses in other episodes -- some times we writers got carried away too -- but Ron was the boss, and he always yanked them. Part of it was the network; not just the bestiality concern, although that was there, but the fear of dissipating the sexual/ romantic tension and seeing the show go the way of MOONLIGHTING and REMINGTON STEELE after they consummated their relation[ship]. Ron and the network both wanted the relationship to progress V*E*R*Y slowly. Also, I think Ron wanted to save The First Kiss for a. a season ending finale, and b. one of his own episodes...

"The end-of-second-season trilogy was intended to lead into a beginning-of- third-season trilogy that we've referred to as the "Land of the Dead" storyline... Catherine supposedly screams in the final moment of the second season because she finds Vincent dead in the cave. In the third season, Vincent would have been interred in the catacombs, a grieving Catherine would have tried to get on with her life, and we would have followed Vincent through a bizarre, haunted streets of a city of darkness, where he would have faced many of the men he had killed. Thematically, this was meant to be the resolution of the Trilogy and its themes.

"We wanted to use actors from previous episodes, playing characters that Vincent had killed... but he would also meet friends there. We hoped to bring back James Avery as Winslow. Ultimately, he would come face to face with the King of the Dead, who would of course be Paracelsus... again, resolving the Trilogy. And meanwhile his bond with Catherine would reach him even beyond the boundaries of life, and ultimately pull him back to the world of the living. He would wake up and burst free of his crypt, alive again, and we would never know if he had really been dead or not, if the adventure in the Land of the Dead had been true or just a very vivid dream...

"Then... well... then came what you call Black Thursday, and Linda, and you know the rest. We never got to do it...

"I think that B&B's exploration of the nature and morality of violence begins much earlier than some of you are acknowledging, although I will agree that it was not until late second season and third that these themes were explored in depth. The seeds were always there, however.

"Look at the pilot, at the look on Catherine's face as she watches Vincent rip the bad guys to pieces, and at the look on Vincent's face when he sees her watching him. They are, respectively, looks of horror and shame. Now tell me another action show where the hero was ashamed to kill bad guys. We were never HUNTER, not even from the first.

"Look at the second show: TERRIBLE SAVIOR. That's one of my own, and I know damn well that the heart of it is an examination of morality of violence. In many ways, Jason Walker is a precursor to the Dark Vincent of later episodes. He too is killing bad guys, but it is scarcely presented as a unquestioned good. The extent to which it is good or bad, the extent to which Jace is like or unlike Vincent... these are precisely what that episode is about."

(added more quotes)

Edited by Le Cygne

Extra - Sansa and Sandor ~ Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester (from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë) Parallels ---

A little bird

• Jane/Mr. R: "I see at intervals the glance of a curious sort of bird through the close-set bars of a cage: a vivid, restless, resolute captive is there; were it but free, it would soar cloud-high." ... "Gentle, soft dream, nestling in my arms now, you will fly, too, as your sisters have all fled before you: but kiss me before you go - embrace me, Jane."
  • Sansa/Sandor: "You're like one of those birds from the Summer Isles, aren't you? A pretty little talking bird, repeating all the pretty little words they taught you to recite." ... "You promised me a song, little bird. Have you forgotten?" ... "The little bird flew away, did she? Well bloody good for her."

A beast

• Jane/Mr. R: "Am I hideous, Jane?" "Very, sir: you always were, you know." "Have you a pocket-comb about you, sir?" "What for, Jane?" "Just to comb out this shaggy black mane. I find you rather alarming, when I examine you close at hand: you talk of my being a fairy, but I am sure, you are more like a brownie."
  • Sansa/Sandor: "Look at me. Look at me!" Sandor Clegane put a huge hand under her chin and forced her face up. He squatted in front of her, and moved the torch close. "There's a pretty for you. Take a good long stare. You know you want to." ... She found his massive shoulder with her hand. "He was no true knight," she whispered to him. The Hound threw back his head and roared.

He gives her his cloak

• Jane/Mr. R: "Not at all: just be still. You have a shawl on. If you are not warm enough, you may take my cloak yonder; wrap it about you, and sit down in the arm-chair: there, -- I will put it on." ... "Rain and wind, indeed! Yes, you are dripping like a mermaid; pull my cloak round you."
  • Sansa/Sandor: Sandor Clegane unfastened his cloak and tossed it at her. Sansa clutched it against her chest, fists bunched hard in the white wool. The coarse weave was scratchy against her skin, but no velvet had ever felt so fine... She found his cloak on the floor, twisted up tight, the white wool stained by blood and fire... She shook out the torn cloak and huddled beneath it on the floor, shivering.

She compares him to other men, and prefers his beastliness

• Jane/Mr. R: I compared him with Mr. Rochester. I think (with deference be it spoken) the contrast could not be much greater between a sleek gander and a fierce falcon: between a meek sheep and the rough-coated keen-eyed dog, its guardian.
  • Sansa/Sandor: I wish the Hound were here... When the appointed night arrived, another of the Kingsguard came for her, a man as different from Sandor Clegane... as... well, as a flower from a dog.

... and his ferocity

• Jane/Mr. R: And, reader, do you think I feared him in his blind ferocity? -- if you do, you little know me.
  • Sansa/Sandor: And yet, some part of her wished that Ser Dontos had a little of the Hound's ferocity.

Harsh as he was...

• Jane/Mr. R: And was Mr. Rochester now ugly in my eyes? No, reader: gratitude, and many associations, all pleasurable and genial, made his face the object I best liked to see... I believed that his moodiness, his harshness, and his former faults of morality (I say former, for now he seemed corrected of them) had their source in some cruel cross of fate.
  • Sansa/Sandor: I would be gladder if it were the Hound, Sansa thought. Harsh as he was, she did not believe Sandor Clegane would let any harm come to her... I wish the Hound were here... But Sansa understood. She knew the secret of his burned face.

He laid a heavy hand on her shoulder

• Jane/Mr. R: He laid a heavy hand on my shoulder, and leaning on me with some stress, limped to his horse.
  • Sansa/Sandor: The Hound laid a heavy hand on her shoulder... From the way he moved, it was plain to see that he was lame.

Innocence and experience

• Jane/Mr. R (he's 20 years older than her): "Then, in the first place, do you agree with me that I have a right to be a little masterful, abrupt, perhaps exacting, sometimes, on the grounds I stated, namely, that I am old enough to be your father, and that I have battled through a varied experience with many men of many nations, and roamed over half the globe, while you have lived quietly with one set of people in one house?"..."I don't think, sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience."... "Mr. Rochester was about forty, and this governess not twenty; and you see, when gentlemen of his age fall in love with girls, they are often like as if they were bewitched. Well, he would marry her."
  • Sansa/Sandor (he's 15 years older than her): "You look almost a woman... face, teats, and you're taller too, almost... ah, you're still a stupid little bird, aren't you? Singing all the songs they taught you... sing me a song, why don't you? Go on. Sing to me. Some song about knights and fair maids. You like knights, don't you?... Do you like wine, little bird? True wine? A flagon of sour red, dark as blood, all a man needs. Or a woman." ... As they were winding their way up the steps, she said, "Why do you let people call you a dog? You won't let anyone call you a knight."

A climb and a view from the roof

• Jane/Mr. R: Anybody may blame me who likes, when I add further, that, now and then, when I took a walk by myself in the grounds; when I went down to the gates and looked through them along the road; or when, while Adèle played with her nurse, and Mrs. Fairfax made jellies in the storeroom, I climbed the three staircases, raised the trap-door of the attic, and having reached the leads, looked out afar over sequestered field and hill, and along dim sky-line -- that then I longed for a power of vision which might overpass that limit; which might reach the busy world, towns, regions full of life I had heard of but never seen -- that then I desired more of practical experience than I possessed; more of intercourse with my kind, of acquaintance with variety of character, than was here within my reach.
  • Sansa/Sandor: Sansa could go where she would so long as she did not try to leave the castle, but there was nowhere she wanted to go. She crossed over the dry moat with its cruel iron spikes and made her way up the narrow turnpike stair, but when she reached the door of her bedchamber she could not bear to enter. The very walls of the room made her feel trapped; even with the window opened wide it felt as though there were no air to breathe. Turning back to the stair, Sansa climbed. The smoke blotted out the stars and the thin crescent of moon, so the roof was dark and thick with shadows. Yet from here she could see everything: the Red Keep's tall towers and great cornerforts, the maze of city streets beyond, to south and west the river running black, the bay to the east, the columns of smoke and cinders, and fires, fires everywhere.

A moody black horse named for death

• Jane/Mr. R: Mr. Rochester's black horse: Mesrour, named for the Arabian Nights executioner (and he has a black dog, Pilot): I heard a rush under the hedge, and close down by the hazel stems glided a great dog, whose black and white colour made him a distinct object against the trees... I put down my muff on the stile, and went up to the tall steed; I endeavoured to catch the bridle, but it was a spirited thing, and would not let me come near its head; I made effort on effort, though in vain: meantime, I was mortally afraid of its trampling fore-feet. The traveller waited and watched for some time, and at last he laughed.
  • Sansa/Sandor: Sandor's black horse: Stranger, named for the death aspect of the Seven: Stranger, the Hound called him. Arya had tried to steal him once, when Clegane was taking a piss against a tree, thinking she could ride off before he could catch her. Stranger had almost bitten her face off. He was gentle as an old gelding with his master, but otherwise he had a temper as black as he was. She had never known a horse so quick to bite or kick.

Look at me

• Jane/Mr. R: I both wished and feared to see Mr. Rochester on the day which followed this sleepless night: I wanted to hear his voice again, yet feared to meet his eye... "Tell me now, fairy as you are - can’t you give me a charm, or a philter, or something of that sort, to make me a handsome man?" "It would be past the power of magic, sir;" and, in thought, I added, "A loving eye is all the charm needed: to such you are handsome enough; or rather your sternness has a power beyond beauty."
  • Sansa/Sandor: "The little bird still can't bear to look at me, can she?" The Hound released her. "You were glad enough to see my face when the mob had you, though. Remember?" ... The Hound leapt at them, his sword a blur of steel that trailed a red mist as it swung. When they broke and ran before him he had laughed, his terrible burned face for a moment transformed.

Fire

• Jane/Mr. R: Tongues of flame darted round the bed: the curtains were on fire.  In the midst of blaze and vapour, Mr. Rochester lay stretched motionless, in deep sleep... "It is a pity to see it; and a pity to see your eyes—and the scar of fire on your forehead: and the worst of it is, one is in danger of loving you too well for all this; and making too much of you."
  • Sansa/Sandor: But Sansa understood. She knew the secret of his burned face. It was only the fire he feared. That night, the wildfire had set the river itself ablaze, and filled the very air with green flame. Even in the castle, Sansa had been afraid. Outside... she could scarcely imagine it.

A caress of his scarred face, and manly tears

• Jane/Mr. R: I caressed, in order to soothe him. I knew of what he was thinking, and wanted to speak for him, but dared not. As he turned aside his face a minute, I saw a tear slide from under the sealed eyelid, and trickle down the manly cheek. My heart swelled.
  • Sansa/Sandor: Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers. The room was too dark for her to see him, but she could feel the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood. "Little bird," he said once more, his voice raw and harsh as steel on stone.

He stooped towards me as if to kiss me

• Jane/Mr. R: Suddenly he turned away, with an inarticulate exclamation, full of passionate emotion of some kind; he walked fast through the room and came back; he stooped towards me as if to kiss me; but I remembered caresses were now forbidden. I turned my face away and put his aside... “Jane! will you hear reason?” (he stooped and approached his lips to my ear); “because, if you won’t, I’ll try violence.”  His voice was hoarse; his look that of a man who is just about to burst an insufferable bond and plunge headlong into wild license.  I saw that in another moment, and with one impetus of frenzy more, I should be able to do nothing with him.  The present—the passing second of time—was all I had in which to control and restrain him—a movement of repulsion, flight, fear would have sealed my doom,—and his.  But I was not afraid: not in the least.  I felt an inward power; a sense of influence, which supported me.  The crisis was perilous; but not without its charm: such as the Indian, perhaps, feels when he slips over the rapid in his canoe.  I took hold of his clenched hand, loosened the contorted fingers, and said to him, soothingly— “Sit down; I’ll talk to you as long as you like, and hear all you have to say, whether reasonable or unreasonable.”
  • Sansa/Sandor: "I could keep you safe," he rasped. "They're all afraid of me. No one would hurt you again, or I'd kill them." He yanked her closer, and for a moment she thought he meant to kiss her. He was too strong to fight. She closed her eyes, wanting it to be over, but nothing happened. "Still can't bear to look, can you?" she heard him say. He gave her arm a hard wrench, pulling her around and shoving her down onto the bed. "I'll have that song. Florian and Jonquil, you said." His dagger was out, poised at her throat. "Sing, little bird. Sing for your little life." ... Some instinct made her lift her hand and cup his cheek with her fingers. The room was too dark for her to see him, but she could feel the stickiness of the blood, and a wetness that was not blood. "Little bird," he said once more, his voice raw and harsh as steel on stone. Then he rose from the bed... When she crawled out of bed, long moments later, she was alone. She found his cloak on the floor, twisted up tight, the white wool stained by blood and fire... She shook out the torn cloak and huddled beneath it...

Dreams of him

• Jane/Mr. R: At this period of my life, my heart far oftener swelled with thankfulness than sank with dejection: and yet, reader, to tell you all, in the midst of this calm, this useful existence - after a day passed in honourable exertion amongst my scholars, an evening spent in drawing or reading contentedly alone - I used to rush into strange dreams at night: dreams many-coloured, agitated, full of the ideal, the stirring, the stormy - dreams where, amidst unusual scenes, charged with adventure, with agitating risk and romantic chance, I still again and again met Mr. Rochester, always at some exciting crisis; and then the sense of being in his arms, hearing his voice, meeting his eye, touching his hand and cheek, loving him, being loved by him - the hope of passing a lifetime at his side, would be renewed, with all its first force and fire.  Then I awoke.  Then I recalled where I was, and how situated.  Then I rose up on my curtainless bed, trembling and quivering; and then the still, dark night witnessed the convulsion of despair, and heard the burst of passion.
  • Sansa/Sandor: That night Sansa scarcely slept at all, but tossed and turned just as she had aboard the Merling King... And she dreamed of her wedding night too, of Tyrion’s eyes devouring her as she undressed. Only then he was bigger than Tyrion had any right to be, and when he climbed into the bed his face was scarred only on one side. “I'll have a song from you,” he rasped, and Sansa woke and found the old blind dog beside her once again. "I wish that you were Lady," she said... As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

Missing her

• Jane/Mr. R: "Who can tell what a dark, dreary, hopeless life I have dragged on for months past?  Doing nothing, expecting nothing; merging night in day; feeling but the sensation of cold when I let the fire go out, of hunger when I forgot to eat: and then a ceaseless sorrow, and, at times, a very delirium of desire to behold my Jane again."
  • Sansa/Sandor: The Hound no longer troubled to hide his face. He no longer seemed to care who knew him... His eyes opened. "You remember where the heart is?" he asked in a hoarse whisper.... He made a queer sound, and it took her a moment to realize he was sobbing. "And the little bird, your pretty sister..."

A quiet island

• Jane/Mr. R: "My little friend!" said he, "I wish I were in a quiet island with only you; and trouble, and danger, and hideous recollections removed from me."
  • Sansa/Sandor: "Why do they call it the Quiet Isle?" asked Podrick. "Those who dwell here are penitents, who seek to atone for their sins through contemplation, prayer, and silence."

An elder brother

• Jane/Mr. R: "He lost his elder brother a few years since." "His elder brother?" "Yes. The present Mr. Rochester has not been very long in possession of the property; only about nine years." "Nine years is a tolerable time. Was he so very fond of his brother as to be still inconsolable for his loss?" "Why, no—perhaps not.  I believe there were some misunderstandings between them."
  • Sansa/Sandor: "A woodcarver set up shop in the village under my father’s keep, and to buy favor he sent us gifts. The old man made marvelous toys. I don’t remember what I got, but it was Gregor’s gift I wanted. A wooden knight..." ... "He is at rest." The Elder Brother paused. "You are young, child. I have counted four-and-forty name days … which makes me more than twice your age, I think."

An irreligious dog

• Jane/Mr. R: "Jane! you think me, I daresay, an irreligious dog: but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now."
  • Sansa/Sandor: The gravedigger lowered his head. When Dog went to sniff him he dropped his spade and scratched his ear... "Wolves are nobler than that... And so are dogs, I think."

No ruin, but a safe prop

• Jane/Mr. R: "I am no better than the old lightning-struck chestnut-tree in Thornfield orchard," he remarked ere long.  "And what right would that ruin have to bid a budding woodbine cover its decay with freshness?" "You are no ruin, sir—no lightning-struck tree: you are green and vigorous. Plants will grow about your roots, whether you ask them or not, because they take delight in your bountiful shadow; and as they grow they will lean towards you, and wind round you, because your strength offers them so safe a prop."
  • Sansa/Sandor: On the upper slopes they saw three boys driving sheep, and higher still they passed a lichyard where a brother bigger than Brienne was struggling to dig a grave. From the way he moved, it was plain to see that he was lame... When Dog went to sniff him he dropped his spade and scratched his ear.

I heard a voice... Where are you?

• Jane/Mr. R: The craving to know what had become of him followed me everywhere... I sought my bedroom each night to brood over it... I saw nothing, but I heard a voice somewhere cry - "Jane! Jane! Jane!" - nothing more.. And it was the voice of a human being - a known, loved, well-remembered voice - that of Edward Fairfax Rochester; and it spoke in pain and woe, wildly, eerily, urgently. "I am coming!" I cried. "Wait for me! Oh, I will come!"... "Where are you?" I exclaimed.
  • Sansa/Sandor: A dog can smell a lie, you know, the Hound had told her once. She could almost hear the rough rasp of his voice. Look around you, and take a good whiff. They're all liars here, and every one better than you. She wondered what had become of Sandor Clegane... "Singer," a rough voice said, "best go, if you want to sing again." The light was dim, but she saw a faint glimmer of a blade... It was Lothor Brune's voice, she realized. Not the Hound's, no, how could it be? Of course it had to be Lothor.

An heiress staying with cousins under an alias

• Jane/Mr. R: "My name is Jane Elliott."
  • Sansa/Sandor: "Alayne... Stone, would it be?"

An unwanted suitor who wants another woman

• Jane/Mr. R: St. John, who wants Rosamond: "fair, blue eyes, a Grecian profile"
  • Sansa/Sandor: Harry, who wants Saffron: "sandy blond hair, pale blue eyes, an aquiline nose"

She wants to marry for love

• Jane/Mr. R: "Marry! I don't want to marry, and never shall marry... No one would take me for love; and I will not be regarded in the light of a mere money speculation."
  • Sansa/Sandor: She did not want to wed again, not now, perhaps not ever... It is not me she wants her son to marry, it is my claim. No one will ever marry me for love.

(added more quotes)

Edited by Le Cygne

• 2 weeks later...

“Do you remember where the heart is?”

Sandor Clegane and Sansa Stark represent the ‘love song’ of A Song of Ice and Fire. Theirs is an enduring relationship that begins from Sansa’s first chapter. Their interactions highlight where the heart is. Do we remember, in such a sprawling story, that there is a heart to it? The songs and stories of future generations are being written by the characters in this generation. And I do believe that Sansa and Sandor will be glorified in a love song. Sansa’s favorite song and story is that of Florian and Jonquil. She liked the kissing stories best, says Bran.

Sansa’s narrative is about marriage. From the beginning, to the latest (as of this posting) Alayne I sample The Winds of Winter chapter, it has been marriage as the important plot points for Sansa. Her betrothal to Joffrey brought her south; her forced marriage to Tyrion kept her in King’s Landing to be used by Littlefinger to facilitate killing Joffrey. Once in the clutches of Littlefinger, she is poised to be married by him to Harrold Hardyng. Will she marry him, submit yet again to a husband picked out for her by someone else? I doubt it - that blood and fire stained cloak in her cedar chest says otherwise. So does her singing a song that hopes for a "better day" and a "kinder way." Sansa, like Beauty (wonderfully outlined above by Le Cygne), will make her own choice in marriage. And I have no doubt there will be a third cloak of Sandor Clegane’s.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Karmarni said:

And I have no doubt there will be a third cloak of Sandor Clegane’s.

The cloaking custom, with it's symbolism of the wife moving from one household to another by being covered with the grooms cloak, is one that has always captured my imagination.  The characters in the love stories so far haven't had the weddings where the giving and receiving of the cloak has been done in a joyful situation. 

Sansa showed the hypocrisy and deceit of her forced marriage to Tyrion by refusing to kneel at the cloaking.  This act caused quiet giggling by the gathered congregation and continuing resent for that act of defiance from Tyrion.  While there is much cloak symbolism swirling around Sam and Gilly, they haven't gone through a proper wedding ceremony yet.  Jon Snow and Ygritte of course had nothing even coming close to the cloaking ceremony.  No way would Ygritte ever stand for that as her wilding values would reject that idea right off. 

And so many, myself included, look forward to the upcoming scenes of a Sansa and Sandor wedding.  If as Karmarni says about that much of Sansa's arc is about marriage, then marrying the husband of her choice is part of that arc.  If Sandor's arc is about redemption, it would also be about the redeeming values learning to be able to love and care for another, and love and care for himself.  That part of his redemption started with Arya.  So an on page wedding of the pair with a full cloaking scene would really be welcome to read.

Sandor showed love for Sansa from the start, I think the turning point in their story is that Sansa shows her love for Sandor. Now it's her turn to show her love for him, and I think she will in a big way, it's the next beat of the Beauty and the Beast story.

In Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy showed his love for Elizabeth Bennet by looking out for her sister, and she was very moved by that. I think we will see a similar scene in this series, Sandor showed his love for Sansa by looking out for her sister.

10 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sandor showed love for Sansa from the start, I think the turning point in their story is that Sansa shows her love for Sandor. Now it's her turn to show her love for him, and I think she will in a big way, it's the next beat of the Beauty and the Beast story.

In Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy showed his love for Elizabeth Bennet by looking out for her sister, and she was very moved by that. I think we will see a similar scene in this series, Sandor showed his love for Sansa by looking out for her sister.

Yeah, I could see that as well

21 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Ohhhhh, nice, didn't see that parallel there.  Really, really like it.

On 12/1/2017 at 11:03 PM, Karmarni said:

Sansa, like Beauty (wonderfully outlined above by Le Cygne), will make her own choice in marriage. And I have no doubt there will be a third cloak of Sandor Clegane’s.

Great points! And this is what it comes down to, she wants to make her own choices!

(I put the quote on the next page!)

Edited by Le Cygne

Just wanna say I read through the whole thread and really enjoyed all the analysis and discussion! I never cared for Sandor/Sansa as a couple, I always saw him just as a figure of her imagination, playing a part on her personal development from girl to young woman, but now you've got me hoping a few more interactions between the two. I wouldn't go as far as hoping for a marriage, but I definetely abandoned the idea I had that their story was over on page already.

Arya and Gendry always stood out for me as a possible romantic couple, I think it's obvious they have strong feelings for each other but don't acknowledge it (Arya) or don't know how to act about it (Gendry). The articles about those two in the thread are a delight to read, but I got the impression they were "speaking to the converts". I'd love to go through a chronological re-read of their chapters to highlight how Martin gives us so many hints of their underlying feelings, even if some readers choose to overlook them. 

Thank you for this Le Cygne, You have provided a really good summary of the way SanSan follows B&TB. Their story parallels it so much and given GRRM's well-publicised love of the story I'd say that the chances of this being a coincidence are zero! GRRM has also shown in his back catalogue that he is well versed in romantic fiction and the themes, symbolism, & motifs used in that genre. He's explored romance over and over in his work, so the fact that ASOIAF contains various romances too seems obvious. But of course, we all know how reluctant to acknowledge this many fans are.  SanSan is imo one of the strongest romances in ASOIAF. The story flows throughout the entire book series and involves one of the most prominent POV characters. Which indicates that this is an important sub-story within the overall narrative. The idea of dismissing this seems absurd to me. I love how you point out the symbolism of the bloody white cloak, the fact that she dons his cloak herself pointing to the importance of autonomy in her story, and the cedar chest mirroring a hope chest. I know I mentioned this already but it struck me in one of his short stories that he includes a cedar hope chest, revealing that he absolutely knows the symbolism in having her place his cloak in one! The story he uses a hope chest in is also a sort of B&TB story, though as it is planned as a first in a series of shorts the beast fancies the beauty but she does not reciprocate, one is left wondering had he continued this tale would she have eventually fallen for our werewolf hero in this noirish take on the B&TB story?  I think so. Sansa's story is so wrapped up in marriage, love, and autonomy. The logical conclusion for her is marriage to a lover of her own choosing. And right from the start, the Hound has been set up to be her choice.