Anti-Dragon tactics

Waters Gate

The Dragon would be the aggressor, unless I'm darkstar. As Darkstar I creep up one night and rechristen Dawn as "Nightbringer" in dragon blood. But to reply in earnest, the Dragon would have to be lack wit to attack a northern lord in the deep of winter. I live in northeast so I'll just take White Harbor as my theoretical seat.

I see the snowfall and cold from events around Winterfell being a magnitude more severe by the time a dragon touches this side of the narrow sea. If you have seen the YT vids of people tossing boiling water in the air and the snap change from water to ice than my plan is easy to visualize. The port is south of the city so 60% of solders mass in scattered battalions north of the city. Sizeable trebuchets flinging boiling water towards the Dragon. 20% manning the ships, equipped with catapults and stored fresh water to boil. 20% left to just use as distraction if necessary but with the cold weather and winds I literally cannot imagine a dragon surviving the first volley. The change being too quick and the area of effect too large to avoid.

Some good ideas there

I wonder if Dragons Mouthwater. Maybe if you surround youre army with roasted beef delicatly preppared by the greatests chefs of Westeros, then the Dragons their flame will be neutralized by their mouthwatering.

Do dragons drool? Though i guess putting up sexually oriented pictures of dragonmating might actually make them more hot, hmmm? Ah well as long as they are "distracted". How to get a dragon in the mood on an ackward moment?

Fight the dragons in the neck.
Once in the neck use a variety of methods- surprise attacks, old goods magic, crannogman tactics, poisoned darts, obsidian arrows and try and warg the dragons as well. Flank them constantly and retreat as soon as they pursue us so the bogs of the neck can damage them as well.

Fighting in the rain makes dragonfire less letal. Maegor the Cruel found that out during the uprising of the faith militant. The drafon is still deadly though!

The tactic to destroy. The dragons is guerilla warfare. Hit and run. If you chance upon a dragon and you can't bolt out of there than aim for the rider.

The dragons are here?

Good, now go attack the enemy somewhere else that is now vulnerable.

Unfortunately I think Dragons move faster than men.

The best way to deal with Dragons in the original Dance was to take out their riders outside of battle

The best way to deal with Dragons in the original Dance was to take out their riders outside of battle

Tactical mobility is not the same as strategic mobility.

Dragons cannot be everywhere at once.

Tactical mobility is not the same as strategic mobility.

Dragons cannot be everywhere at once.

Yeah, I suggested spreading out in an earlier post. No one can conquer Westeros with nothing but 3 dragons.

This counts also for the Dragonrider's own troops though.

Systematic attack on the wings, or force the fight in conditions or area where they can't fly. Once it can't fly, you can at least aim arrows at it, mass attack it and out manoeuvre it. When it's airborne, it may as well be invincible

Sounds quite correct, know where to face youre oponnent, don't allow him to use his strenghts.

Fighting in the rain makes dragonfire less letal. Maegor the Cruel found that out during the uprising of the faith militant. The drafon is still deadly though!

The tactic to destroy. The dragons is guerilla warfare. Hit and run. If you chance upon a dragon and you can't bolt out of there than aim for the rider.

Some good input. And thx for the information to confirm that dragons fight worse during rain. Apparently the faith militant there had chosen the right moment to attack even if they didn't have a chance.

What about trying to blind the dragons? Like, on a very clear and sunny day, make youre army wear chrome'd armor and shields that reflect light as good as mirrors would. And let them orient their shields so that the sunlight reflects on it and into the dragons eyes. That might blind them temporarely, throw em off course, or make it difficult for the dragons to actually target youre army and breathing flame on it withought closing it's eyes or turning its head away as it comes in.

Yeah, I suggested spreading out in an earlier post. No one can conquer Westeros with nothing but 3 dragons.

This counts also for the Dragonrider's own troops though.

Sorry, didn't mean to overlook you.

I guess in my mind I equate dragons to tanks, in a sense. There's a saying, "armor conquers, infantry occupies" - to actually hold anything you've taken, you need boots (human ones) on the ground.

Similarly, another tactic that's highly successful in dealing with armor is to suppress or eliminate its infantry support.

I guess in my mind I equate dragons to tanks, in a sense. There's a saying, "armor conquers, infantry occupies" - to actually hold anything you've taken, you need boots (human ones) on the ground.

Similarly, another tactic that's highly successful in dealing with armor is to suppress or eliminate its infantry support.

It's ok, just wanted to say I agree with you ;)

I guess the best bet would be to coop up at Storm's End. A giant castle where everything is situated and centralized in a huge drum tower (no open buildings that are spread out or flammable), that is protected by thick anti-magical walls and is situated at Shipbreaker's bay and ravaged by constant heavy storms. There's nothing more anti-dragon than that.

Some good input. And thx for the information to confirm that dragons fight worse during rain. Apparently the faith militant there had chosen the right moment to attack even if they didn't have a chance.

Well, the Dragons fire is not as effective when it rains. Teeth, claws, tail and so one are still very dangerous though. In the sample from TWOIAF we see that Balerion still killed many, many soldiers.

What about trying to blind the dragons? Like, on a very clear and sunny day, make youre army wear chrome'd armor and shields that reflect light as good as mirrors would. And let them orient their shields so that the sunlight reflects on it and into the dragons eyes. That might blind them temporarely, throw em off course, or make it difficult for the dragons to actually target youre army and breathing flame on it withought closing it's eyes or turning its head away as it comes in.

I don't think that's a very good idea. You would need an awful lot of shields and they should be grouped together in order to blind the dragon (and the light has to be right, etc). If your very lucky that might work once, but the chance is bigger that the dragon just burns your ass off.

Dragons really aren't like tanks though. If they are like anything it is attack aircraft.

Hit and run also sounds like a pretty unfeasible strategy, since the dragon will be able to pull off hit and run attacks against you far easier than your troops will against it (or its supporters).

Nah. It's either magic, assassinating the rider or dragon outside of combat, or getting your own dragons. Everything else relies on blind luck.

Dragons really aren't like tanks though. If they are like anything it is attack aircraft.

Hit and run also sounds like a pretty unfeasible strategy, since the dragon will be able to pull off hit and run attacks against you far easier than your troops will against it (or its supporters).

Nah. It's either magic, assassinating the rider or dragon outside of combat, or getting your own dragons. Everything else relies on blind luck.

The Dornish strategy was hit and run. They were the only ones who defeated the dragons. Case closed.

The Dornish strategy was hit and run. They were the only ones who defeated the dragons. Case closed.

And wildlings shot arrows straight up a 700 foot tall wall. Sometimes even a great series like ASOIAF doesn't make logical sense.

Guerilla warfare in reality is something you resort to once you've tried and failed with every real plan, but surrender for some reason just isn't acceptable. Some people have a romanticized picture of it, however, probably because "reprisals against civilians" is something that never crosses their minds when they think about how the enemy would react.

If you melt away into the deserts/forests with all your troops and refuse to give battle, what's stopping the dragon-armed enemy from simply torching every town and castle in your country that doesn't immediately surrender and switch sides to theirs*? You won't protect them since you are hiding somewhere together with your men, so their only chance of survival is to yield.

*And maybe give the dragonriders some information about where the guerillas have their bases, too...

Archived