PhD research: The Early Days of the Westeros Forum and the ASOIAF Fandom

Inevittable

Not even close, it's all the way down at #89. (In Firefox when you hover over a username, you can see the member number in the link to the profile page.)

Oh God. Oh God. I'm a fraud.

(I'm using Chrome, but I see nothing about member numbers when I mouse over names.)

Oh God. Oh God. I'm a fraud.

(I'm using Chrome, but I see nothing about member numbers when I mouse over names.)

Hmmm... when I mouse over your name, "asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/user/89-minaku/" appears in a gray line right above the windows-button in the lower left corner. Can't say what your computer does, though.

The user number talk made me curious about how many users we have and how many there were before the show, etc. So I did a little searching and its kind of fun (if you like numbers) to see the rate at which the board has grown in numbers by year.

Starting with the end of November 2005 (the end of the first month of the board) and then the end of each subsequent November you find the user numbers as such:

November 2005 1,923 users

November 2006 6,785

November 2007 10,672

November 2008 13,453

November 2009 16,741

November 2010 19,302

November 2011 32,665 (year tv show first aired)

November 2012 56,348

November 2013 82,049

And then as of a few minutes ago, we are up to 93,282 users.

On the eve of the debut of the tv show, April 16, 2011, we were at 20,725 users.

Of course, thousands of these users are not actually users and have never posted a single post on this board and thousands more have only posted 20 or less posts. And I'm not sure if people are ever deleted from the user list so I don't know what effect, if anyone, that has on the numbers.

So Inevittable, if you want to include some numbers and statistics about the board and its users in your research, you might want to spend some time (if you haven't already done so) with the searchable Members list which you can sort by join date and post count and the all important profile view count.

Sincerely,

User Number 15,176

Inevittable,

Not sure if you are aware but some of the old boards exist as mirror sites. Here is a link with a nice argument between me and Ran about whether Brienne is a "realistic" character. God i was such a misogynist back then :) Ran was right as usual.

Some legendary posters on that thread - Ken, Dirjj, Jeff... There is no date but I am guessing 1999.

http://community.fortunecity.ws/healthclub/rowing/100/clashkin/thread12/thread121.html

Holy Schnikes, I remember that thread. Wow.

I just remembered another thread where I compared The White Bull to Cal Ripken, Jr. My point was that he wasn't such a great fighter at his age, but was still considered great based off his reputation alone. Then a lady from Baltimore chastised me for ripping Cal, which prompted me to immediately back down and say that he was still one of the best shortstops in the game. To which Jeff replied that I didn't know what I was talking about because Cal was a 3rd baseman at the time. Which started a huge baseball conversation in the middle of a Tower of Joy thread, which ultimately led to the first baseball thread on these forums.

Anyway, I read AGOT in '97, and found the old eesite board shortly after ACOK came out in '99. I posted a good bit on that forum, but tailed off considerably after the move to ezboard, and even moreso when it moved again to this site. Now I just post on the college football thread (I'm think that I started the first college football thread on these forums, but I wouldn't put any kind of money on that claim).

This thread is making me kind of sad. :(

Anyway, I don't really consider myself an old-timer, but I was here before the show. I joined in January 2007, I was 19 and a sophomore in college. I found the site by Googling once I had finished reading the books.This is something I do with most books I read, as I like to read other people's opinions. (Goodreads FTW!) I ended up getting sucked into the book threads because I am not one of those readers who puts pieces together and R+L=J was a horrible bombshell for me. I would sometimes read through Gen Chat but it was very intimidating and a bit cliquish (not in a bad way), especially as I felt much younger than the average poster. Eventually I began to post more and more in Misc and it's been years since I've ventured "north". Actually, I have read a couple show threads, but I don't bother engaging, I just want to get a quick gauge on how other people read the episode.

This board has been a constant source of comfort, diversion, and intellectual stimulation for me. For a couple years, back in college, I was a regular on chat which helped me to feel much more comfortable posting on the board. I remember getting to my 1000th post and being able to change my custom title, finally! I have met several board members (although not GRRM) and they were all so lovely and fun. This board has probably heard more about my life over the past 7 years (including my deconversion, my commissioning, my marriage, my divorce, my writing career, my running milestones and whatever random thoughts pop into my head) than any single person I know IRL.

As the show became popular, the forum became bogged down with server problems, and the community became so large that it doesn't always feel like a community at all. Everyone is welcome, of course (provided following basic decency/forum rules), but it's hard not to miss what it was. I still read the board almost every day but some of the quirky unique charm has worn off.

This thread makes me nostalgic.

I miss some of the posters and friends who don't post here anymore or have passed away ... too many to mention. I also think that the forum has always been the same, despite its size back then and now. There are always disagreement and severe personality clashes and people forming their own cliques based on some shared commonality. Wait, there's something different now vs. back then, the moderators are more numerous now and they're much faster with the editing and post removal.

I met George once at a convention in Anaheim. He seems quite jovial and love the companies of the ladies. No other interaction other than that.

Long live the LADL!!! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck me, that you Lev?

I started hanging out back round 99 or so. Young, full of piss and vinegar, smart [yet kind of simple in a way] The board has changed, certainly, so have many of the posters. I phased out prior to the floob, yet its effect is not easily missed whenever I peruse the Literature Forum-- where it's much less pronounced than others. There are some great [and I mean really fucking great individuals on this board; I've made friends here I know I'll yet have even deep into my dotage] and while I wouldn't say the level of discourse hasn't necessarily dropped, the quality may have. I've been hanging out reading a lot threads I haven't really bothered with in years and got to say, back in Ye Olde Days, I never felt like I was wasting my time engaging. Regarding the Board itself, although I'll never say I'm a fan of the heavier control [even all growed and shit, I still enjoy the occasional dust up] I do understand the necessity of it when comparing the many facets of its population now to then. Every now and then though, I really miss the old days. Kinda brings a tear to the eye, old friends getting together.

I've met George twice. The man amazed me then and amazes me now. I'm hardly surprised with the charm and aplomb he's brought to bear, handling superstardom-- yet, that juvenile me that's still in there [albeit now reduced to the occasional whine instead of kicking an screaming] really wishes the man would just fucking write. I mean, it's got to be oppressive having this big monster on your back, but how he doesn't have his Publisher's routinely breathing fire up his ass is beyond me. Guess he's reached that Untouchable level.

Oh, and I've quit watching the show.

The wife has been relegated to someone I used to know as I discovered I'd missed a potential calling as a divorce attourney, having out-lawyered her quite expensive representation on 3 occasions.

The girls are great however. It's amazing how well young children can adjust to that kind of a change when dad doesn't essentially disappear except for every other weekend.

How are you? Still married, I imagine? Any sprats?

There's a high intellectual level to the community

One reason I liked this forum in the beginning was because if you made an assertion, you were expected to back it up with facts and reputable links. (The beginning being lurking briefly on eesite then joining ezboard in February of 2001, for which datum I thank Aoife's sleuthing skills.)

A number of us are inveterate drunks who are forced to support England sports sides, either due to accident of birth or malevolence of the random-country-picker.

:P

Alas...I just saw the EHK thread - it still affects me, to this day. His death, more than any other, is what will always keep me coming back here. I will always wonder how he would have felt about the show, and I'm sure he'd have more than a few choice words to share.

When the Things were tiny tots, the board was one of the few ways I maintained my sanity while working from home, because the conversations stretched my brain in ways it needed. EHK on early 20th-century Japanese militarism sticks in the mind particularly.

The user number talk made me curious about how many users we have and how many there were before the show, etc. So I did a little searching and its kind of fun (if you like numbers) to see the rate at which the board has grown in numbers by year.

This is a good example of a post with solid data being de rigueur. (That lady n made it speaks to why I am a fan of hers too.) That disproportionately big bump between 11/2005 and 11/2006 is due, I'm guessing, to the release of A Feast for Crows in late 2005.

the moderators are more numerous now and they're much faster with the editing and post removal.

The report button is our friend. :)

Wait, what the...

Where's my post count, my title. The fuck, Westeros.

PM Ran about it. The password snafu was rough on that stuff.

ps. Yes, I met GRRM in Chicago in 2012 and promptly fangirled Alan Garner at him as they were both awarded a prize in the UK that year. I had met other boarders before then too, and have seen some since. I count some of them among my dearest friends.

The wife has been relegated to someone I used to know as I discovered I'd missed a potential calling as a divorce attourney, having out-lawyered her quite expensive representation on 3 occasions.

The girls are great however. It's amazing how well young children can adjust to that kind of a change when dad doesn't essentially disappear except for every other weekend.

How are you? Still married, I imagine? Any sprats?

Thanks for the update buddy ...... always good to see your presence around here.

Still married, no brats yet. Maybe next year.

I endorse this endorsement, even though I can't my member number. I think it's #85.

#74 Represent!

Totally agree with Zray. The fl00b has absolutely negatively impacted the community feeling but we have picked up a few good ones here and there.

Although, I always enjoy when some fl00bs first appear and are all brash and trollish and we get to watch them get "assimilated" into our Group Think.

Bwahahaha!

From a long, long time lurker, I would just like to say that this place has always been one of the few places I check consistently. I picked up A Game of Thrones back in 98 when I was a freshman in high school. Promptly devoured it. Didn't really have the Internet back then so I had no idea when the next one was coming out. I randomly found A Clash of Kings at a bookstore one day and was quite happy. Same thing happened with A Storm of Swords a few years later. When I started college in 2001, I had broadband internet in the dorms! Stumbled across the ezboard sometime around there and the rest is lurking history.

I'll occassionally dive into the Winds of Winter section (usually when a new sample chapter crops up). Usually I stick to General (the politics discussions are great), Literature (thanks for the Lynch and Abercrombie suggestions and the Goodkind threads, curse you for the Erikson recommendations...) and Entertainment (shows/video games/sports).

People are just nice here and it's just an enjoyable place to read up on people's perspectives of current events, follow some debates and get some great recommendations for things. It is definitely a lot harder to attach personalities to posters since the fl00b deluge. Still the board has kept motoring along and I keep coming back. It must be doing something right.

As for meeting GRRM, sadly it has never occured. Currently, I'm roadtripping through the west and I missed seeing him give a reading in Santa Fe this past week by a day which was disappointing. As others have said, he seems like a really cool guy. Damn him though for making me a hipster...but...I was totally into ASOIAF before it was cool...and now GRRM pops up on Conan!? So weird...

So from the lurkers to the posters I say, thanks for letting us creepily watch your online interactions from afar.

Sincerely

Archived