Andrzej Sapkowski II

Larry.

On 10.04.2017 at 11:01 PM, Maelys I Blackfyre said:

What a great ending.

Really? Care to elaborate? I have originally finished the series almost 20 years ago, so my memory might be slightly clouded, but I do remember being seriously pissed off.

Spoiler

Mostly for killing off almost every member of the rescue team.

And Season of Storms is definitely not on the same level, so I wouldn't expect much.

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Really? Care to elaborate? I have originally finished the series almost 20 years ago, so my memory might be slightly clouded, but I do remember being seriously pissed off.

Hide contents

And Season of Storms is definitely not on the same level, so I wouldn't expect much.

I was sad about that, but I still thought it was a strong ending.

Although I'm uncertain if it'll ever be released in English translation, I am happy that I finally have enough spare money to justify importing the final Hussite Trilogy novel, Lux perpetua, as well as the Spanish translation of Season of Storms.  Both should arrive from Spain by month's end.  After those, I might actually re-read the English translations of the first five Witcher books and then read the final two in English at last.  Been a while since I last read Sapkowski.  Weird to think that once those two Spanish-language translations arrive, I will have read virtually everything fictional he has written in translation.  Only taken about 15 years since someone first made me aware of his work.

On 4/12/2017 at 9:00 AM, 3CityApache said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Emhyr arriving at Stygga, confessing to Ciri that he is her father, killing Vilgefortz and Bonhart, glorious deaths for the whole hansa, the death of Geralt and Yennefer. Just all came together very satisfactorily for me.

What is clear is that Metro author Dmitry Glukhovsky thinks Sapkowski is not only “totally wrong” but also an “arrogant motherfucker”, because he says that flat out.

:lmao:

God, as good as the Witcher books are,that Sapkowski guy has a Goodkind like ego. 

31 minutes ago, redeagl said:

:lmao:

God, as good as the Witcher books are,that Sapkowski guy has a Goodkind like ego. 

I suspect Sapkowski's irritation is due to the whole fact he asked for a lump sum and not royalties.

That and no author wants to be less famous than the fanfic made about his story.

19 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I suspect Sapkowski's irritation is due to the whole fact he asked for a lump sum and not royalties.

That and no author wants to be less famous than the fanfic made about his story.

Makes sense. Sapkowski himself dosen't.The guy is NUTS.The games made him lose sales!! Wtf. He isn't even trying to arguing about a point, just childish anger because he made the wrong deal.

Having just read the original article/interview, it sounds like some of Sapkowski's earlier interviews (I think somewhere on the first iteration of this thread, I posted a link to a translation I did of a 2008 Spanish interview of him).  But he does have a point in that he was relatively popular in several countries outside Poland well before 2007 (I was first made aware of him by 2003, when I was sent a link to a fan translation of "The Witcher" (or "The Hexer," back then).  I know there were multiple translations before then (I started buying the Spanish editions about ten years ago), so it isn't a stretch for Sapkowski to claim he was internationally known before the first game.  After all, why would there be a game made of an "obscure" series?

That being said, it is rather refreshing (and occasionally amusing) to see someone so openly not giving a crap about whatever others might made of their opinions.

I haven't played The Witcher games, but it has drawn my attention to the book series and I have bought all seven of them, as soon as they were translated to Serbian so there definitely are cases of games boosting sales.

It's hard to believe that the games haven't boosted book sales in English-speaking countries.  I don't play games, but heard of the book series through people who do, and then looked for reviews on this forum, and bought all seven books.

Sapkowski simply can't stand the fact that the games has become more succesful than his books. I can even partly understand him: someone else is making much bigger money on his own creation than he does. I can imagine I would be pissed off too, and signing wrong deal with the game producers obviously played a role in it. But that doesn't change the fact that he is indeed an arrogant, narcisstic jerk, always has been. Not to the extent of Goodkind though, let's preserve proportions here. ;)

Creating a video game (or dare I say TV show ;) ) is a process that is so different from writing a book that comparisons regarding money made from both make no sense.

Writing a book is mainly author's job, with editors getting involved in later stages but not in huge numbers (please, correct me if I'm wrong on that). On the other hand, making a game requires a lot of hours from game designers, script writers, visual artists, game developers etc.

In the end, publishing and the marketing is pretty similar for both game/TV show and the book. Once again, that's just my impression, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally finished it. Enjoyed all the books, with my favorite being the fourth book (second novel).

I am also glad that the games continued the story, and they continued it well.

And finally, very happy to have chosen Yen in the third game. A much better character than Triss, in addition to being a better person. Triss did feck all to help Geralt and Ciri after the fourth book, and she set the Lodge above them.

41 minutes ago, TheRevanchist said:

Finally finished it. Enjoyed all the books, with my favorite being the fourth book (second novel).

I am also glad that the games continued the story, and they continued it well.

And finally, very happy to have chosen Yen in the third game. A much better character than Triss, in addition to being a better person. Triss did feck all to help Geralt and Ciri after the fourth book, and she set the Lodge above them.

I think Triss' whole storyline is her association with Geralt made her a better person.

But she did some pretty unforgivable stuff.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, Sapkowski is supposedly a big Moorcock fan isn't he? I can't think of a more arrogant motherfucler than Moorcock.

And the semi-non sequitur of the night goes to... ;)

Two very different personalities here, to be honest.  Moorcock is pretty much lauded by quite a few fantasists writing today, but why bother mentioning him here?  Few are going to dispute that Sapkowski is...cantankerous, so why drag in another author, especially one you seem to cite whenever there is any disagreement about a writer's personality?  Might as well go full Goodkind here :P

Archived