Larry.

Andrzej Sapkowski II

247 posts in this topic

The Witcher is really a 7-book series (now with a stand-alone prequel). The first two story collections (The Last Wish aka The Witcher and Sword of Destiny) really set up the characters and story that the novels follow in greater detail. Sword of Destiny is also a really important part of the series, and it was very silly that it wasn't published in English until years after most of the rest of the books.

As for the series title thing, that was Sapkowski's fault. The first book was called The Witcher (actually The Hexer would be a better translation - I believe - but for some reason "Witcher" stuck) and then at some point whilst writing Sword of Destiny Sapkowski seems to have realised that this was a mistake and had it withdrawn and reissued under the title The Last Wish, with a couple of new stories added and one old one about Geralt's mother that he didn't like anymore removed. That doesn't seem to have worked and everyone just kept calling the overall series The Witcher. Any chance of that being undone was swept away by the video games.

Is that the story of Geralt's mother and (alleged father) fighting against Vrans? Would love to read that. The story of Geralt's mother healing him is one of my favourites, so it would be great to read more of her.

On 2/13/2018 at 9:15 PM, SeanF said:

[/Spoiler] She was trying to save Yennefer's life by surrendering.  Not that it was a wise decision.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

My point was that after so many books in which she was exposed to the evil and treachery of the world, you would think that she would know this was a particularly bad idea.

2 hours ago, Andorion said:

My point was that after so many books in which she was exposed to the evil and treachery of the world, you would think that she would know this was a particularly bad idea.

I love Ciri to death but she's suicidal and kind of stupid at various points in her life.

Rarely is a heroine suffering PTSD and also a person who committed war crimes as a teenager.

Edited by C.T. Phipps

On 14.02.2018 at 1:03 AM, Werthead said:

The Witcher (actually The Hexer would be a better translation - I believe - but for some reason "Witcher" stuck) 

I have always believed that The Witcher is actually a perfect translation, as Sapkowski intended it to be a male version of the witch, just like in Polish original (female "wiedźma" and male "wiedźmin"). It's the author to blame for the fact that the witcher has very little in common with your average witch, not the translation.

10 hours ago, Andorion said:

You would, but I think she'd lost the will to live by that stage.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:20 AM, 3CityApache said:

I have always believed that The Witcher is actually a perfect translation, as Sapkowski intended it to be a male version of the witch, just like in Polish original (female "wiedźma" and male "wiedźmin"). It's the author to blame for the fact that the witcher has very little in common with your average witch, not the translation.

Witcher is the perfect word. It's unique in that it gives Geralt, the world, and novels their own identity. Plus Witcher is just a cool word. Wish I had thought of it first