This book is quite boring....

Kaguya

ASOS was by far the longest book and I read it in half a month. But with FFC it took me 2 months as I became disinterested. But towards the end I quite enjoyed it and I became more and more interested. It does take a while to get into but it got better for me.

I loved Crows! The Cersei chapters were the best in that book and watching the slow decent into madness.

The best thing about Cersei chapters is the re-read.

At first, you start and she's "oh, I'm a lion, I'm my father's daughter, I'm the Queen, I will control the Realm"... and damn, you want to believe it.

Then, you read the whole thing.

And you read again... "Oh, I'm a lion, I'm my father's daughter...:" and you can't help but LOL.

Either way, I like Feast. I like the pacing, really. Just because it lacks the action we had in the other books doesn't mean it's bad.

I have to admit the Feast of Crows was my least favorite book, but I still enjoyed it a lot. My favorite storylines was actually the Greyjoys and the Martells. Cersei was okay, their were a couple chapters I got bored with at time. I just loved the whole Greyjoy brothers fighting and meeting all the Martells and Myrcella storyline! Plus its the first time the book goes to Dorne! Sam, Cersie and Jamie, Brienne were just okay to me.

The best thing about Cersei chapters is the re-read.

At first, you start and she's "oh, I'm a lion, I'm my father's daughter, I'm the Queen, I will control the Realm"... and damn, you want to believe it.

Then, you read the whole thing.

And you read again... "Oh, I'm a lion, I'm my father's daughter...:" and you can't help but LOL.

Either way, I like Feast. I like the pacing, really. Just because it lacks the action we had in the other books doesn't mean it's bad.

Yes, especially when she starts choosing her various allies; its like you foresee the problems she is going to have... :)

Yes, especially when she starts choosing her various allies; its like you foresee the problems she is going to have... :)

It's more the consistent and rude rejection of good advice from Jaime and Kevan and then even her poorly chosen advisors that make it clear where she's gonna end up

It's more the consistent and rude rejection of good advice from Jaime and Kevan and then even her poorly chosen advisors that make it clear where she's gonna end up

that as well but then again they were trying to take away her power.

I thought the same exact thing as the original poster but I started reading this again when I saw the series was jumping ahead on some story arcs. I didn't really pick up on the importance of the Martel family in the first run through because I kept confusing Martel's with Tyrell's and Tarly's. The Dorne story arc was really not interesting to me. However, it has been a blast in the 2nd read since I have a new found love for the Sand Snakes and my belief that they are going to have a huge impact before it is all said and done. Before, I hoped they would ax the Dorne story line, now I can't wait for it to come to life on the HBO screen.

ASOS was by far the longest book and I read it in half a month. But with FFC it took me 2 months as I became disinterested. But towards the end I quite enjoyed it and I became more and more interested. It does take a while to get into but it got better for me.

Basically me

Food........... So much talk about food.

I've never read a book or books that describe so much food. Why?

Ok there's a feast and people are eating, do we really need to have every dish described in detail?

How many times do I have to be told about Trout encrusted with almonds?

Ok there's a feast and people are eating, do we really need to have every dish described in detail?

This has been a theme in all of the books. GRRM describes battle scenes well, human emotion spectacularly, sex scenes fairly vividly, but food.... the man knows how to describe food. Half the time I'm reading ASOIAF, i have to put the book down because I'm so damn hungry.

"What It's Like to Read the Game of Thrones Books":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KocHhWTwMw

I read the first 3 books in under a month (each). I started reading this in February and still have yet to finish it (on the home stretch now). Did this happen with anyone else? I only enjoy Cersei's chapters really because they are entertaining and suspenseful, while the other are Zzzzzzz........

Please be better ADWD

It was pretty boring for me too. It felt like a chore reading it.

But... I will say this. As time went by, I found myself thinking about some parts in aFfC. And some of my favorite parts are in this book. I definitely think it will be a good reread, but I will have to omit some of the boring PoV characters that bored me the most.

I didn't really like Cesei's chapters. And I hated Brienne's. Both of their chapters had a lot of fluff. But that's just my opinion of course.

I definitely think it is the red-headed stepchild of the series.

aDwD is better. I was glued during the beginning. But towards the middle, I hit a rut with the book (I got the same feeling when reading most of aFfC). Then I got into it again.

I know it seems boring at first but stick with it.

I think Feast and Dance are actually the best written books of the entire series. Theirs a lot of exposition, world building and foreshadowing happening in this book. I think when the series is all done and written, everyone will have a whole new appreciation for Feast and Dance.

Storm of Swords is an amazing book and probably my favorite as far as consistent action/entertainment. I have reread it countless times. But I really think you appreciate Storm so much more when you reread the books leading up to it. AGoT and ACoK. IMO

I think when TWOW comes out everyone will see how important Feast and Dance really are to the overall story.

I highly reccomend reading Feast and Dance together as one super book.

It's all technically one book that runs concurrently. Its just separated geographically and Dance extends past Feast for a bit. I think it makes the story much more interesting and easier to follow as well.

Here's a link for the order to read the 2 books combined if you're interested.

http://ballofbeasts.weebly.com/chapters.html

Disagree. Best book in the series by far. The writing is excellent, especially in the Brienne and Dornish's chapters. Martin really knows how to explore and build up the atmosphere exquisitely well. Some characters like Cersei, Jaime, Arya and Sansa are incredibly multilayered and Brienne is quite a compelling figure. I also enjoyed that this book spends much of its length exploring the political machinations and its consequences than the supernatural and mystic aspects. Yes, the lack of Tyrion, Dany and Jon is a problem, but the storylines here more than made up for it.

Disagree. Best book in the series by far. The writing is excellent, especially in the Brienne and Dornish's chapters. Martin really knows how to explore and build up the atmosphere exquisitely well. Some characters like Cersei, Jaime, Arya and Sansa are incredibly multilayered and Brienne is quite a compelling figure. I also enjoyed that this book spends much of its length exploring the political machinations and its consequences than the supernatural and mystic aspects. Yes, the lack of Tyrion, Dany and Jon is a problem, but the storylines here more than made up for it.

I dispute this.

I thought the same thing, it took me longer than the other books to read but I don't think it's THAT boring. I'm halfway through the book and I always thought that all the books are quite boring in the beginning as the story is still developing but now it's getting better! I really like that he expanded the chapters to more than just the main characters and shows also characters from Dorne and the Iron Islands.

Cersei multi layered? I guess if you could say she wasn't 100% evil for praying not to get nightmares about the dungeons, lmao...

AFFC is so boring, I mean 800 pages is too much. It's only about quantity than quality. I didn't find any interest in some characters such as Sam (!!), Brienne, Arys. Fortunately, 1/3 of the book is about Jaime and Cersei and their chapters are closer (on the quality aspect) to ASOS. However, I really enjoyed reading the story in the Iron Islands with Euron, Victarion and Asha.

6 months to read AGOT+ACOK+ASOS... and 1 year to read AFFC, I hope that ADWD is better.

Archived