This book is quite boring....

Kaguya

Yes.

It is much easier to combine the eBook into one book. There is a list of the chronological order of the chapters on the Boiled Leather website. I edited my eBooks and created one new book with the chapters in the correct chronological order...it makes it MUCH easier to read that way. Plus I edited my Audiobooks (thanks to sj4iy for the suggestion) so that each track was a separate chapter. So I just created a playlist with the correct chapter order and it became A Feast with Dragons!

Also, I now have playlists for specific characters so I can do a character re-read.

Ah, that sounds awesome. Thanks for the link! I see what you mean though about rejigging the chapters. Alas I only have the actual books. But I think I might try the recommended chapter reading order on the Boiled Leather site. If I could somehow get a print out of the list and ticked them off as I went I bet it wouldn't be *too* difficult to do this with the actual books.

Also thrilled to discover the Boiled Leather Audio Hour podcast! Damn I can't wait to start listening to that.

A Feast with Dragons! Do you mean as in, read a chapter of Feast, then a chapter of Dragons, and alternate with a chapter from each book or something?

Don't do alternate chapters, it's jarring that way. There's better sequences than just simple alternating, but others have already done the work for you - google "boiled leather", or "a ball with beasts" and you will find good sequences.

Don't do alternate chapters, it's jarring that way. There's better sequences than just simple alternating, but others have already done the work for you - google "boiled leather", or "a ball with beasts" and you will find good sequences.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, now I think about it, just simply reading a chapter of each in turn probably would be awful! And thanks for the heads up about 'A Ball with Beasts'. I've found it and added it to my bookmarks. I guess I'll decide which one to follow when I actually get around to re-reading the two books.

Cersei's chapters are the highlight of the book - I thought her POV was hilarious and really entertaining, even before I read the entire AFFC and ADWD and realised that she had basically self-destructed. Her thought process is quite interesting. And I'm a massive fan of the council meetings - they're always my favourite chapters in the book, so I couldn't help but really enjoy her chapters.

• 8 months later...

I don't know about you guys, but Cercei is my least favourite character and chapters about her give me no satisfaction. She disgusts me. Her humour is nothing but mean arrogance, serving only to show how whirled up in her own lack of wit for rulership she is. She constatnly compares herself to men who had power in her life and tries to overcome them. She is far less equipped with what it takes to make a proper rule than any of them. 
On the other hand, I like Samwell (although I can barely tolerate his whining), Arya and Jamie chapters, and I am starting to like Sansa's as well since she grows so much in this book.

I really disliked the paranoid chapters of Cersei. And yeah, i agree that this is the most boring book of them all. I read the rest of the books in a week or two each, but I've been reading this one for two months now, and I'm still only halfway through.

My favourite PoVs were Samwell(braavos chap), Areo Hotah, Jaime (especially when he goes to Riverrun), and Sansa. Loving the way LF is revealed :D

When compared to the previous 3 books in the series Feast is definitely lacking in action and there are some repetitive chapters. But we have to consider that the War of the Five Kings is winding down and we read more about what's going on in the Red Keep and the Iron Islands. In Feast we get to read about the political intrigue in KL and we learn more about the Ironborn as a people.

There are a few chapters set in Braavos ( through Sam and Arya POV chapters). So in Feast there is more world building and court intrigue to read of. Not a lot of action or war in this book but we sure do get to read about the repercussions and political fallout of it.

Feast is a "slow burn" while ASOS is more of a rollercoaster. After the intense plot twists, it was not what people were probably expecting.

I feel its a very strong narrative with Cersei's psychological journey after the deaths of her son and father. It's my favourite of the 5 published books.

• 2 months later...

I read the first 3 books in about 2 months. I started reading this in February and still have yet to finish it (on the home stretch now). Did this happen with anyone else? I only enjoy Cersei's chapters really because they are entertaining and suspenseful, while the other are Zzzzzzz........

Please be better ADWD

I kinda felt like that too on my first read through. The I reread it because I had questions. And upon my reread I found a ton of info that I missed the first time around. After doing some interweb searches I came across this and it opened a beautifully crazy new door for me, the Great Northern Conspiracy 

http://radiowesteros.com

and then I found this site. Amazing listens that are well worth your time. If you are in AFFC then episodes 9, 13, 19 are going to help you most right now. They are podcasts and you should listen to them in the car, cooking, folding clothes, feeding the dog, etc because it will connect a lot of dots. Hop this helps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed The Greyjoy chapters with Vicky being such a badass and Aeron being crazy but most of all Euron being awesomely evil.

Samwell was hard except for when he finally threw a punch at that singing prick but especially the last few with the Summer Islanders and seeing Oldtown and Marwyn.

The Lannisters - They were fun as usual, seeing Jaime and the wool slowly coming off his eyes, Cersei was hard to read, so many fuck ups in such a short rule...i went from hating her to just...pitying her..

It was good seeing Dorne where your either crazy or a nympho.

Felt a serious Jon and Tyrion lack though..and Brienne was a tough read,...

• 1 month later...

Are you sure you're reading the right book? :lol:

On the contrary, FEAST was one of my favourites in the whole series. It takes a different approach than the other books, and though the pace is somewhat slowed, its done so very well. We have time to explore the world of Westeros at previously unimaginable levels and got POVs from new characters, it sufficed only to enrich ASOIAF overall IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked Feast my first time through, but felt Brienne, Arya and Sam dragged a bit. Upon re-reading, I don't know how I ever thought that.

A Feast For Crows is truly something else, a real literary work. The characterization is so deep, and each chapter is full of so much pain after the events of the last couple books... Some really deep stuff to read if you keep your eyes open.

With that said upon re-read I'm liking all the books more. Bran, Catelyn, Sansa and Arya always dragged a bit for me in the first few books, but I really appreciated them this time around as well. By far though I love Feast and Dance the most, they're just on a whole other level compared to the first books.

I actually dreaded reading this and Dance with Dragons because of their reputations in being hard to get though and being boring reads basically. 

So I was pleasantly surprised with Feast for Crows, I really enjoyed it despite the missing POV's and the overload of the new ones. I've only read all the books once but at most they took me a week or two to finish individually. 

Feast it took me a day and a half. I loved it and it's my favourite in the series. 

• 2 months later...

Brienne.Oh God,I hope that ugly cunt is dead!Reading her chapters was a torture.Everytime I saw her chapters I was like:Do I skip this or read it?I will read them for the sake of not losing important details,but geez I hated them.

14 hours ago, ȘâcâL said:

Brienne.Oh God,I hope that ugly cunt is dead!Reading her chapters was a torture.Everytime I saw her chapters I was like:Do I skip this or read it?I will read them for the sake of not losing important details,but geez I hated them.

To be honest I found all things Dorne (Except the Darkstar chapter which was awesome) to be worse than Brienne.

3 hours ago, Esa1996 said:

To be honest I found all things Dorne (Except the Darkstar chapter which was awesome) to be worse than Brienne.

Dorne is next on my list of „Chapters I hate” after the Brienne ones.

Archived