Videogames: Who Are You Buying This For?

Jace, Extat

There is a review of the game floating around, and it's just ok according to that. Of course Ubisoft came out and told people to ignore it, but there wasn't anything to make me think it was bs (although the guy has a bad rep). I can't seem to find the link, it was like wddtech or something.

And Conan reviewed the game yesterday as well lol:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6OnFKxdi4

Damn, went into Gamestop today in order to pick up Wolfenstein for the 360 for my long holiday weekend and they were out of copies. Thats the first time since Madden in 2000 that I had that happen.

Ended up trading in 4 games for like 60 bucks, interesting thing was if I put five of it down on a game(chose watchdogs) it increase my trade in to 90, so I have watchdogs pre ordered, lol.

Ended up picking up Bound by flame, Dynasty warriors 8 and Warriors Orochi 3. Its gonna be a fun weekend. :)

I was watching a stream of Watch Dogs on PS4's share network (or whatever that's called). I guess somebody got a copy early. Maybe it was a developer stream, but it didn't really seem that way. Anyway, it looked pretty boring, and just confirmed that I don't want it. I dont care about the whole 1080p/60fps nonsense, it just looked way too GTA for my tastes.

Ended up picking up Bound by flame, Dynasty warriors 8 and Warriors Orochi 3. Its gonna be a fun weekend. :)

Yay! WO3 is so good. Except for the no English voice track.

I'm still trying to get a handle on DW8. The game absolutely refuses to give me weapons for any of the characters that I want to use. Due to that I started Ambition mode with different character and now I can't change to anybody I want to use until I unlock them.

Let us know how you like Bound by Flame. It's getting a lot mixed reviews. I might have given it a shot, but Totalbiscuits comments on the combat makes me very hesitant. I may end up waiting until it hits the budget bin, or is PS+ freebie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNzqAQzTFjc

Skip to 15:30 for combat.

I was watching a stream of Watch Dogs on PS4's share network (or whatever that's called). I guess somebody got a copy early. Maybe it was a developer stream, but it didn't really seem that way. Anyway, it looked pretty boring, and just confirmed that I don't want it. I dont care about the whole 1080p/60fps nonsense, it just looked way too GTA for my tastes.

Yay! WO3 is so good. Except for the no English voice track.

I'm still trying to get a handle on DW8. The game absolutely refuses to give me weapons for any of the characters that I want to use. Due to that I started Ambition mode with different character and now I can't change to anybody I want to use until I unlock them.

Let us know how you like Bound by Flame. It's getting a lot mixed reviews. I might have given it a shot, but Totalbiscuits comments on the combat makes me very hesitant. I may end up waiting until it hits the budget bin, or is PS+ freebie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNzqAQzTFjc

Skip to 15:30 for combat.

Yeah, watched TBs video and that made me hesitant, but I ended up getting all three games for like 15 bucks so figured why not, lol.

So here's something I didn't think I'd be saying, but I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC. I wouldn't, but I had a significant improvement in my finances recently, and there's quite a few PC-only games coming out that I'm interested in (including Wildstar, which most of my gaming friends are jumping into). If I do get one, I won't even bother with a monitor, I'll be keeping it permanently connected to my TV via HDMI and playing wireless. I wouldn't need to use it for anything else at all, since I've got this MacBook Air from work that I'm allowed to use for personal stuff as well. I need to think about it some more though, and I had a few questions I was hoping ya'll could assist with as well.

Firstly, I know a lot of PC games can be played with a 360 controller (and soon a Xbone controller), but what's the selection available? Is it every console game, some console games, console games and PC-only games, etc.? And how does setting it up work? I saw the instructions on Microsoft's website about installing the controller, but is there software I need to download for each and every game, or will it just work once its been installed?

Secondly, what the hell is good in a PC? What are the components I need to keep track of, what are some good specs, what sort of price am I looking at, what's some good brands to look at? For context's sake, I don't need the absolute best graphics available, if the games just look as good as they do the new consoles, and will continue to do so for the next several years, that's fine by me. I'm not interested in something absurdly overpowered. And I'd like to keep the price under $1,000, quite a bit if possible, but at the same time I want something that I won't need to upgrade for a while.

Thirdly, does Windows 8 still suck (I'd been told it used to at least, I've never used it)? If so, is it possible anywhere to get a PC installed with Windows 7? And if that's a no, how hard is it to replace 8 with 7 myself?

Strange. That's almost never been an issue for me (at least in story mode, I haven't really touched Ambition mode that much). Anytime I pick a character for a battle who doesn't have any good weapons unlocked, there's always been at least something decent at the blacksmith in camp.

Oh shit, TB has cancer. That's horrible. I really like that guy, hope he gets through it okay.

Yeah man I was so sad when I read that today. He thought he had avoided cancer until they went in to get rid of the 'growth' and found it was just hiding the cancer. That must suck. On the plus side: it's apparently one of the more treatable forms of cancer and the doctors are optimistic. Plus he sounds determined as fuck to beat it: if this isn't the right attitude to getting cancer I don't what is "I hope you realize just how insufferable I'm going to be when I beat this thing. Just giving you advanced warning."

So if there's weird stuff happening with your ass go see a doctor, a little embarrassment won't kill you; cancer might.

Firstly, I know a lot of PC games can be played with a 360 controller (and soon a Xbone controller), but what's the selection available? Is it every console game, some console games, console games and PC-only games, etc.? And how does setting it up work? I saw the instructions on Microsoft's website about installing the controller, but is there software I need to download for each and every game, or will it just work once its been installed?

Secondly, what the hell is good in a PC? What are the components I need to keep track of, what are some good specs, what sort of price am I looking at, what's some good brands to look at? For context's sake, I don't need the absolute best graphics available, if the games just look as good as they do the new consoles, and will continue to do so for the next several years, that's fine by me. I'm not interested in something absurdly overpowered. And I'd like to keep the price under $1,000, quite a bit if possible, but at the same time I want something that I won't need to upgrade for a while.

Thirdly, does Windows 8 still suck (I'd been told it used to at least, I've never used it)? If so, is it possible anywhere to get a PC installed with Windows 7? And if that's a no, how hard is it to replace 8 with 7 myself?

I built a PC a year ago knowing nothing about it before hand - its all about the research.

You literally just plug the controller in. You don't need to install any software for certain games, pretty much any game you would play with a contoller is already set up to be compatible.

There's loads of websites dedicated to the second part, where you're also encouraged to post proposed builds and people will give you guidance, such as Newegg or Tom's Hardware. Try reading other people's builds who are going for a similar budget to yours to get an idea of what you need. Also I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable forumers here would be happy to help you.

Windows 7 is widely available.

So here's something I didn't think I'd be saying, but I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC. I wouldn't, but I had a significant improvement in my finances recently, and there's quite a few PC-only games coming out that I'm interested in (including Wildstar, which most of my gaming friends are jumping into). If I do get one, I won't even bother with a monitor, I'll be keeping it permanently connected to my TV via HDMI and playing wireless. I wouldn't need to use it for anything else at all, since I've got this MacBook Air from work that I'm allowed to use for personal stuff as well. I need to think about it some more though, and I had a few questions I was hoping ya'll could assist with as well.

Strange. That's almost never been an issue for me (at least in story mode, I haven't really touched Ambition mode that much). Anytime I pick a character for a battle who doesn't have any good weapons unlocked, there's always been at least something decent at the blacksmith in camp.

Go to reddit.com/r/buildapc. Just tell them your story, and they'll pick out the best parts for your budget. As for Windows 8, it no longer sucks. Windows 8.1 fixed that. If you don't like the UI, you can change it. Some games (I think BF4 is one of them) perform a lot better with W8, and some only get minor performance boosts. So it's all up to you.

Finished up Arrival last night on ME2. So I'm 2/3 of the way through my Noobtastic Mass Effect Playthrough.

As I said, I'm going to take a brief hiatus to finish up Stick of Truth. I had played it for a few hours when it first came out and thought it was hilarious. So the Reapers and Shephard potentially going on trial for killing a few billion Batarians will have to wait.

The game just hates me. I did end up fing some decent weapons for Yuanji from the Blacksmith, on the last Jin story battle. :rolleyes:

I'm playing through Lu Bu's story now, and damn is it fun. He is comically overpowered. I don't even have a good weapon for him and he still just wreck everyone.

You should visit reddit.com/r/buildapcforme. You can explain your situation (budget, uses, etc) there, and they'll put together a build list for you. I personally would recommend going with the mITX form factor, as there won't be an unsightly tower sitting next to your TV (itx cases are very small). Once you get all your parts together, as others have said watch some build videos (Linus Tech Tips is my favourite, but Newegg is just as good).

Also if you have a ps3 controller, you can make it work as a 360 controller on PC, but with the added benefit of being able to connect via Bluetooth. The ps4 controller doesn't work quite as well via Bluetooth yet.

Oh and get windows 8. It has better features for gaming. You can install things like classic shell and startisback which pretty much turn it into an enhanced version of w7. If you already have 7, then there's no point in switching.

The 360 controller just needs to be plugged in, Windows will install the appropriate drivers and most games will detect it right off the bat. I've gotten pretty lazy lately, so I use it to play a lot of games on my PC, even FPS's. I know, I know, the collective gasps of disapproval by the PC Master Race crowd is drowning out the sun, but I find the controller much more comfortable than being hunched over the mouse and keyboard nowadays.

Personally, I'd pump as much of that money into getting a really good motherboard because a motherboard is the biggest pain in the ass piece of hardware to swap out and replace. Swapping out ram, a graphics card, a power supply or even a processor is not that difficult, but replacing a motherboard means you'll likely ave to format and reinstall windows afterwards. Get something with a lot of room to upgrade. I haven't done any upgrades in 2 years so I won't be able to give any advice on specific ones to look out for, but I quite like Gigabyte and Asus brand mobos. I've used them almost exclusively and I haven't had any (or many) issues. I have a friend that really likes Gigabyte. Under $1000 should net you a fairly robust and powerful PC.

Alright, thanks for the tips y'all; I appreciate it. Good to hear about Windows 8 and especially the controller (which really would've been a deal-breaker if it was hard to do. I hate using keyboard and mouse for any games, except strategy games where there's simply too much for a controller to deal with).

As what exactly to be putting in the PC, I looked at the suggested sites and they all look too intimidatingly technical to me. I'll need to think some more about if this what I want to do before working up the courage to deal with any of them. I will say this though, I'm absolutely, 100% no-way-in-hell putting together a PC myself. I don't even like having to install software, I'm definitely not going to deal with hardware. If I buy, I'm buying something prebuilt from somewhere.

I remember back in high school people raved about Alienware, but I've been told they haven't been that great ever since Dell bought them.

I remember back in high school people raved about Alienware, but I've been told they haven't been that great ever since Dell bought them.

Most stores will just charge an extra $50 or so to put the PC together for you.

After decades of playing countless shooters, strategy games and rpgs with keyboard & mouse I finally got myself a controller.

Decided to take Saints Row 4 for a trial and HOLY BALLS is it difficult to aim with that thing. How do people stand this control scheme?!

Most stores will just charge an extra $50 or so to put the PC together for you.

Okay, that's good to know. That'd definitely be worth the money to me.

Alienware is insanely overpriced for what you get. If you're 100% set on not building one yourself, there are better places to get prebuilt computers from.

Right, like I said, I've heard Alienware went downhill. But yes, there's not a chance I'm building a PC myself. I don't trust sales people at places like Best Buy, and I would assume there's better places to buy from, but that's the only reasons I didn't just head to a box store. That and that I'm going to sleep on this for another couple weeks.

When I see something like this:

Intel Core i7-3820 Processor

16GB DDR3/1600MHz RAM

NVIDIA GTX670 2GB Video

Intel Extreme X79 USB3 & sata3 Motherboard

2TB SATA 7200 RPM HD

LG 12X Blu-Ray Combo Drive

I don't know what that all means, and I don't want to know what all those things are. I just want to know if it can play AAA games at least as well as console can, will it be able to for at least the next few years, and what's a reasonable price for that.

I don't understand enough about electronics in general to go into any more detail than that.

Archived