The Drowned God

PG-13

I just started AFfC, and I'm confused by this somewhat minor thing.

The religion of the Drowned God, in the Iron Islands, LITERALLY DROWNS people and then gives them CPR. This seems like it achieves nothing, and they aren't even actually drowning them. To drown, you have to die. These people are very nearly drowning, but luckily, none of them ever die.

This is just very confusing. Why do they risk dying for something that ultimately achieves nothing?

I completely agree with you, the ritual achieves absolutely nothing. However, in their eyes they think that it LITERALLY makes them stronger and more pious. You achieve oneness with the Drowned God, and you'll find his favor.

It's like any religious ritual; they just happen to have a very serious and stupidly dangerous one :)

The religion of the Drowned God, in the Iron Islands, LITERALLY DROWNS people and then gives them CPR. This seems like it achieves nothing, and they aren't even actually drowning them. To drown, you have to die. These people are very nearly drowning, but luckily, none of them ever die.

This is just very confusing. Why do they risk dying for something that ultimately achieves nothing?

Damphair seems to proud that none of his ever died. So, I assume it isn't without risk.

The "What is dead may never die" line is the Ironborn way of "What does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Damphair seems to proud that none of his ever died. So, I assume it isn't without risk.

That's true that Damphair has never lost anyone, but that's not true for everyone else. Damphair has gotten lucky/really good at CPR, but apparently others have lost people when trying to drown them, so apparently there is some risk to it.

Archived