It's Time For A Theory

I just started reading the first book in the series and I’m a few chapters in and I theorize Jon was actually Eddard Stark’s sister's child. Like when he found her in her bed all bloody, it because she had given birth, and when she made him promise, the promise was to not tell anyone Jon was her child……just guessing. The years match up though, because Lyanna dies about 14-15 years before the books begin....and Jon is 14 at the beginning of the series. Plus it would make more sense that Ned treats it like a touchy subject. Anyways.....just wanted to know if anyone agrees with me.

I definitely agree with you, and in fact, it's a pretty popular theory. I think it totally makes sense, and from the beginning, I never really thought that Ned would be the type to cheat on his wife. Especially when it was just such a pointless hookup - or so it seemed to me if it were him. Have you had any thoughts on who the father would be? According to other theories on the internet, they believe that it was Rhaegar Targaryen. If so, that'd be quite a twist, I think, considering he'd be related to Daenerys. Of course, in the books, Robert makes him out to be a terrible guy who stole Lyanna away, when in fact, from other characters' points of view, Rhaegar would've never done anything against her will. They all made him out to be an amazing person. But in Robert's eyes, Rhaegery "won" and he lost.

Anyway, I thought the promise could also be to raise Jon as his own. At least, that's how I interpreted it. Either way, it made him lie to his own wife and children. I've thought quite a lot about it, and to me, most of the clues point to Lyanna and Rhaegar.

As said above, the R+L=J (Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon) theory is one of the most popular theories out there. I think it's nice that you picked it up so early in the books, it took a while for me to get it. But it's one of those theories that really makes sense and that I think there is a lot of things pointed out in the series that give us clues about Jon's real parentage.

In this topic: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109443-rlj-v-81/page-20 is a discussion about the whole theory, so if you want to talk about it, you can go there ^_^

And as I already said, I think it's really brilliant you've pointed this theory out so early.

BTW, I don't want to be a nitpick, but you're posting this in the ADWD subforum when you're just in AGOT, so there can be spoilers for the further books in the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived