Glad to see The Mountain is moisturizing - see how young he looks!

Not as mean looking as Conan, but not as lanky and awkward looking as Ian. It's unfortunate that Conan Stevens wasn't asked back for the role, I feel like there must be more to that story than his role in "The Hobbit."

I'm not too worried about it though, I can always super-impose Conan's face over Hafthor's in my head-canon.

I think the casting is fine. I didn't get cuddly at all from the guy. Unfortunately, something was lost in the writing, directing, and makeup for his introductory scene.

For starters, going shirtless was a big mistake. Here's an almost identical picture of a different "strong man" shirt less: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MNEaGb1GB3s/Tt0BUd2g30I/AAAAAAAAA20/wTrFh-lCylI/s320/kevin+sorbo+6+as+hercules.jpg .

They are pretty similar looking. That's right, shirtless Halfthor make viewers think of Kevin Sorbo's Hercules, a character and show famous for camp. I get that they wanted to show off how well muscled he is, but unfortunately "body building" competitions have focused on the well defined muscles and easy to see muscles. So, this has conditioned viewers to not equate Hafthor's bulk with immense strength. Instead, he should have worn some kind of armor or other costume that denotes intimidation.

I also think the show wanted an "over-the-top" re-introduction to the Mountain and in doing so... went over the top in a bad way. His first scene is him screaming while holding his sword above his head with another man impaled upon it. That isn't violent, that is "video-game"y. Plus, without any context all we saw saw a man other men who had literally just picked their weapons from a pile on the ground. He might as well have been practicing killing goats. In season 1, watching the Mountain butcher a horse had a lot more impact because we know it was his own horse that had just failed him.

He doesnt have that scary face. It is too round. He obvioulsy is not one of the better actors but he did his job which was to look huge and make the audience go "wow, how the hell is tyrion going to find someone to kill that guy!".

But the dude is a tank. If you get a chance look him up on wikipedia, 2nd place in worlds strongest man, he can lift massive amounts of weight and he actually performed most of his stunts (according to an interview with him) and he looks good in full suit for the episode so I dont mind it at all.

I thought the peasant killing scene was just odd, and unnecessary. The Mountain doesn't need an introduction. He has been talked of and recognized as THE big bad guy for three seasons. It would have been much cooler if we never saw him before the actual fight. Just hearing about him and how everyone fears him would cause suspension enough. Everyone thinks he's invincible, Brann refuses to fight him, his old sins recapitulated, Sandor talks about his wound....and then, when the fight if about to commence, Oberyn stands ready, we see him enter in all his towering glory. What isn't shown is sometimes more terrifying than what is.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind his baby face, what about his VOICE, sounded like some weird Jamaican pastiche 'oooa mah fightin?'

The dialogue during the fight is going to be really jarring if he speaks like that. I guess he doesn't speak much English...couldn't they have dubbed him?

Agreed. Ugh. Truly terrible casting.

Archived