Dorne and Iron Islands chapters

Aldark

For the first time , in this book we got a glimpse of how are things going in Dorne and in the Iron Islands. With characters like the Greyjoy uncles or Arianne Martell and her father(plus Oberyn's daughters) coming to the surface , i was never disapointed or bored like i was sometimes in a Brienne or Sansa chapter. Seeing the plans of Euron Greyjoy or Doran Martell coming to light , without people in the main land of Westeros being aware of them , made me very happy and excited! The game of...thrones that is being played in Westeros for me became more intense with the presence of these two "kingdoms"/areas . But as i recall some people here seem to not even care about these people like Airon Greyjoy , the kingsmoot events or Arianne and her friends...Thus finding the chapters boring and the book kinda dull compared to the others. I never thought this way , i found Martin's new revelations and characters (we FINALLY saw Dorne , after Oberyn's entrace i knew the guys were the best) pretty good and well-handled. So what was your opinion on these POVS? Did you like it? You don't even care about what happens in these areas? You disliked the chapter names (well i did , why the Princess in the Castle and not Arianne? wtf) ? You disliked the whole idea and wanted back Jon and Dany chapters? :lol:

I kinda had the opposite reaction. Damphair's chapters kinda dragged but Victarion was awesome. The Dorne chapters did a lot to advance the plot I think, but I certainly didn't find them that exciting,

barring the chapter where Arys dies

On my first read through feast I wasn't interested in them, I wanted to read about my favorite characters. But on my first re-read I really loved Dorne. Not so much for the Iron Islands, but I liked the Kingsmoot, especially when someone (can't remember who) told Asha that Balon made a mistake putting an axe in her hand and let her think she was a boy and she replied that his father made the same mistake with him.

Well, I liked the Dorne chapters especially, I like the interesting dynamics in the Martell family. And the Damphair characters weren't my favourites, but I liked to see a bit of their culture, because it is so much different from the rest of the Westeros. I think they are kind of uncilized in their own way because of their isolation.

I missed Tyrion and Jon, but I can't see the read was boring or dragging. I actually liked the book very very much!

I think the chapter names are about identity, most POV's have a strong personality, bit I think the minor ones have a bit of a crisis, however you do see it with Sansa whose chapters are called Alayne and Arya's who is Cat of the Canals. So the princess in the tower, is because Arianne is locked away and knows why but is away from the world and her real position as princess of Dorne and the Damphair sees himself more as Damphair than as his own personality.

This is also in ADWD where Arya is still with the faceless men and Theon has lost his identity to become Reek after he is tortured by Ramsay, but after a time he grows back to being Theon.

• 2 weeks later...

On my first read through feast I wasn't interested in them, I wanted to read about my favorite characters. But on my first re-read I really loved Dorne. Not so much for the Iron Islands, but I liked the Kingsmoot, especially when someone (can't remember who) told Asha that Balon made a mistake putting an axe in her hand and let her think she was a boy and she replied that his father made the same mistake with him.

Yeah, in hindsight the Dorne and Iron Island chapters weren't as boring as I thought they were. I think when I first read those chapters coming right out of ASOS I was just pissed off I wasn't reading anything about Daeny or Tyrion (two of my favorite characters), so I wasn't receptive to reading dozens upon dozens of pages about these new characters, in Dorne especially. However, now that I finished AFFC, I find myself going back to some of those Iron Island chapters and really enjoying them. The whole Kingsmoot was especially interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing that whole plot play out on screen in GOT.

• 2 weeks later...

I like what happens in those chapters, especially the kingsmoot. And I like some of the characters well enough (Asha, Euron, Arianne, Myrcella), but my problem is that the POVs that show us those storylines are terrible. I only like Asha's and Arianne's POVs, basically

Archived