Biggest Mystery in the Entire Series is in chapter one.

Mdoggy

I've never understood how Gared came from beyond the wall, - might have missed it from the reading. But the least interesting answer is that he simply went to Castle Black and then left the NW. However, the direwolf would not have accompanied him through Castle Black so something else needs to explain that fact.

Two questions:

1. The direwolf in question died from a failed attempt at killing a Deer (right?) and upon them discovering the antle in its wound brought silence to the group, - is that a foreshadowing of Baratheons causing the death of a Stark? "A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared to speak."

2. Ghost (white fur, red eyes AND open eyes) is said to be born from the dead: “Maybe she didn’t,” Jory said. “I’ve heard tales... maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came.” “Born with the dead,” another man put in. “Worse luck.” Is this a reference to Jon's "birth" by a dead Lyanna?

Feel free to shoot this down.

Gared is a desertor of the Night Watch. If i remember correctly, the Benjen Stark crew was on their way to find out what happend to the young Lord Royce (who we know it was killed by The Others).
I belive that Gared passed the wall the same way Bran did, but the other way around

Gared is a desertor of the Night Watch. If i remember correctly, the Benjen Stark crew was on their way to find out what happend to the young Lord Royce (who we know it was killed by The Others).
I belive that Gared passed the wall the same way Bran did, but the other way around

He could've gone around it, too. The direwolf as well. I mean, wolves were extinct in Switzerland until a couple of years ago and now they're all over the place for some reason, and noone did anything to support that, they just decided they wanted to live somewhere else so they came here from Italy or wherever. So maybe the direwolf lived in the Frostfangs, became pregnant, had some animal instinct about the coming winter and just started walking south.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived