Addicted

BastardlyRock

Oh, that would drive me nuts, how long have you been waiting for someone to get to Ned's death?

About 3 months! i read the entire series in less than 2. Driving me crazy. But she has a degree in English Lit and is a writer, so at least when we do talk she can actually discuss it properly and picks up on the things which are laced throughout the story. Unlike my brother for whom just about everything went over his head. :bang:

well not only did I have the most complicated/detailed (possibly nicotine patch induced) dream about Tywin Lannister the other night, but yesterday while I was getting my hair done the hair dresser said, "the things we do for love huh?" and i almost responded by saying "yeah like push little boys out of windows".

ETA: I also only know one person who read the books and I hardly ever see him, but I always store up various theories/ideas I've learned for when i do. our common friend watches but doesn't read so we have to talk in code to discuss.

I've had a few friends die recently and the phrase "And now his watch is done." keeps going through my head. Idk if it's morbid of me or not. The last time I became obsessed with a story like this was the Lost tv show but I'm way more into ASOIAF than I was to the tv show.

I think that's quite lovely actually. It is said in the books (and show) to honor the dead. It's far more poetic than some things people say when others die.

I think that's quite lovely actually. It is said in the books (and show) to honor the dead. It's far more poetic than some things people say when others die.

I agree, it is quite lovely.

I have another one I like, by way of GRRM from Byron and Fevre Dream:

So we'll go no more a-roving

So late into the night

:crying: and :wub:

well not only did I have the most complicated/detailed (possibly nicotine patch induced) dream about Tywin Lannister the other night, but yesterday while I was getting my hair done the hair dresser said, "the things we do for love huh?" and i almost responded by saying "yeah like push little boys out of windows".

ETA: I also only know one person who read the books and I hardly ever see him, but I always store up various theories/ideas I've learned for when i do. our common friend watches but doesn't read so we have to talk in code to discuss.

What happened in said tywin dream? Also did he look like show tywin or did he have bad ass mutton chops? I would have loved to see their response if you had actually said that to your hair dresser haha

I agree, it is quite lovely.

I have another one I like, by way of GRRM from Byron and Fevre Dream:

So we'll go no more a-roving

So late into the night

:crying: and :wub:

Thank you both and that quote is good, too.

Yeah.. I listen to the audio books whenever I am not talking to someone. Over and over...

My boyfriend will flip out if I say one word about these books, so sometimes I just sit and think about them and I know he's suspicious. He has only seen the shows and idk anyone irl to talk to about them. ><

Yeah.. I listen to the audio books whenever I am not talking to someone. Over and over...

My boyfriend will flip out if I say one word about these books, so sometimes I just sit and think about them and I know he's suspicious. He has only seen the shows and izk anyone irl to talk to about them. ><

I know that exact feeling - my wife gives me that "I've heard enough about it" look so I get quiet... but she knows I'm thinking about it. :)

I understand the addiction. What I don't understand is how someone could read these books and NOT be as obsessed as I am. As I stated earlier my husband read them also but he has no patience for my discussing them with him. At one point he did but that ship has sailed. I am delighted to know that there are others like me and that I'm not a lunatic

:lol:

"Winter is coming." Pops into my head a lot, usually in relation to the recession. I have actually used this in conversation.

Random bits of the story pop into my head unbidden. This can send me off on a hunt online or on the forum or in the books. Half hour disappears.

I check the release date on WoW every couple of months, even though I know we are looking at 2015.

I smirk nastily when I hear show-watchers getting attached to a character who I know buys the farm later.

I know a few people that are really into the show but they often aren't into the nitty gritty of the story. They like a character because the actor is cute! And they don't have a lot of the backstory and contextual. So you can't really pick apart the validity of R+L=J or theorise on the significance of minor characters etc. with them.

Only my sister has read the books. Actualy she introduced me to ASoIaF......reluctantly. She had already seen what happened when she introduced me to LOTR. I can talk to her in depth, thank goodness, but she remains unconvinced of obvious things like R+L=J...*deep sigh*. If she and I want minute examination of all parts of the books, major and minor with someone other than us, we have to come here. One of the reasons I love this forum!

Does anyone else find yourself saying "Oh, that is NOT what he/she is supposed to look like..." when you see the actors casted on the show. I only know a few of the actors but this happens with most that I have seen, latest example being Oberyn Martell...

I too have had some close calls with spoilers. I don't watch the show and didn't realise at first how the events were being ordered. It seems from listening to people talk that the show runs the storylines according to timeline and not the order in the books. I once asked someone if Jaime still had his hand and, yes, I almost gave away the Red Wedding!

<snip

Does anyone else find yourself saying "Oh, that is NOT what he/she is supposed to look like..." when you see the actors casted on the show. I only know a few of the actors but this happens with most that I have seen, latest example being Oberyn Martell...

<snip

First, I love your username! Second, yes! Like you I was surprised by Oberyn (couldn't they at least have faked a widow's peak?) but the one I've been bothered by most so far is Meera Reed. So not how she's described in the books. I've only watched part-way through season two but I've seen pictures.

I had another addiction moment today. I had a major crackpot connection that's either absolutely brilliant or utterly insane, and no one to talk it over with. :frown5:

First, I love your username! Second, yes! Like you I was surprised by Oberyn (couldn't they at least have faked a widow's peak?) but the one I've been bothered by most so far is Meera Reed. So not how she's described in the books. I've only watched part-way through season two but I've seen pictures.

I had another addiction moment today. I had a major crackpot connection that's either absolutely brilliant or utterly insane, and no one to talk it over with. :frown5:

Love crackpot theories

I am a massive Sean Bean fan, so I find myself imitating his fantastic accent, and practically everyone watches the show but hardly any have read the books so I only talk about stuff relatable to them, or reel off more popular quotes with friends (such as getting someone to lean in as though I am going to whisper in their ear and then saying "the Lannisters send their regards"), and I don't point out differences between book and show unless someone asks specifically. My only exception to that rule is to occasionally say that "Stannis ain't actually that bad," because I want them actually rooting for him by the time the battle of Winterfell rolls around. All this usually occurs once the booze has started flowing...

I've got like 2 people I can talk about the books with, and occasionally my Mum as well, but one of them has never read the books, he just wants me to tell him everything and go into very deep detail as to why I feel the way I do about characters and events, and I am happy to oblige though I encourage him to read them himself because my opinions shouldn't be his opinions. The other one is a total chatterbox, and I am one of natures quiet people, so I can't actually get a word in edge ways lol, pretty sure he couldn't tell you who my favourite character is.

Yeah, I'm also quite addicted. Especially every time when I start to re-read the books, I become utterly obsessed with everything of the asoiaf universe.

I alse realized during the last few months, that I start to become one of those "Hey, the didn't do that in the books" nags, whenever they change something in the series x3

My boyfriend also read the books and he did read them only once (so far). He thinks he can read them again when the publish TWOW. I cannot the believe this! xD

Archived