Addicted

BastardlyRock

I was walking up some stairs with my friends at my workplace, and one of them said, "Another client today? Ugh."

My friend walking next to me chuckled and said, "And so it begins."

Without thinking, I responded with "No. Now it ends." and I kicked him down the flight of stairs.

Needless to say, we don't talk much anymore.

:lmao: You win.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here! I chose this topic because this was exactly what I needed to read. I should be writing my master's thesis about postmodern poetry and I keep thinking, hell, I'm a literature student, why not study ASOIAF??? But seriously, I started as a show watcher and started reading the novels about a year ago, while watching season 3. English is not my native language, so I read pretty slowly. Since ASOIAF came to my life everything else seems so lame, my boyfriend hates me for this. :spank: I even stopped watching other tv-series, because Game of Thrones stole all my concentration.

Anyway, this topic is hilarious! In the city I live in, there's a parking house and a bus stop called "Iron Island" (in Finnish of course, I translated it in my head) and everything I can think of are those shit-stained rocks they call home. Another cool moment: I come from a small town from arctic circle, and there is a Stark family there, I mean their last name is Stark! There must always be Stark in Rovaniemi!

I envy you native english speakers so much for having an opportunity to use all those ASOIAF lines in everyday conversations. :thumbsup:

Hi everyone, this is my first post here! I chose this topic because this was exactly what I needed to read. I should be writing my master's thesis about postmodern poetry and I keep thinking, hell, I'm a literature student, why not study ASOIAF??? But seriously, I started as a show watcher and started reading the novels about a year ago, while watching season 3. English is not my native language, so I read pretty slowly. Since ASOIAF came to my life everything else seems so lame, my boyfriend hates me for this. :spank: I even stopped watching other tv-series, because Game of Thrones stole all my concentration.

Anyway, this topic is hilarious! In the city I live in, there's a parking house and a bus stop called "Iron Island" (in Finnish of course, I translated it in my head) and everything I can think of are those shit-stained rocks they call home. Another cool moment: I come from a small town from arctic circle, and there is a Stark family there, I mean their last name is Stark! There must always be Stark in Rovaniemi!

I envy you native english speakers so much for having an opportunity to use all those ASOIAF lines in everyday conversations. :thumbsup:

Hahahahahahaha PERFECT!! And Welcome, hope you have fun.

I think some of the lines we say about some of the characters probably sound great in Finnish.

Winter is Coming

the North Remembers

we do not Sow

idk.. something funny about Roose?

___

Oh! and I just saw the actor who plays Stannis in another movie called Spy Game. He looks very thin and different all except for how constantly annoyed he was in this movie too. I think he is awesome at looking completely over the top ticked off and yet unable to do much about it. It was funny... I hardly noticed the story I was staring at Stannis in a suit.

My boyfriend calls Game of Thrones my "Dragon Soap Opera", lol...

At least no one is here to eyeball me right now, as I am again roaring with laughter.

Dance is the gift that keeps on giving, I am going to miss him.

I totally agree. Getting the eyeball when you are laughing over something that you keep remembering is incredibly hilarious to me. It was such a little comment Charles Dance made but it shows he thinks he is Tywin or he could never have nailed it so well. Just picturing his face when getting slammed on the back by King Robert really kills me. I read an article that he is completely in character all the time on set and that just amuses me so much. Bringing him his lunch and he gives you that look.. lol

I totally agree. Getting the eyeball when you are laughing over something that you keep remembering is incredibly hilarious to me. It was such a little comment Charles Dance made but it shows he thinks he is Tywin or he could never have nailed it so well. Just picturing his face when getting slammed on the back by King Robert really kills me. I read an article that he is completely in character all the time on set and that just amuses me so much. Bringing him his lunch and he gives you that look.. lol

Hahahaha, when there is someone here to give me 'the eyeball,' I may try and share the explaination, but they just look at me as if to say: Continue if you must, just leave me out of it.

Dance IS perfection. Sometimes I think D&D love him too much, but I do understand why they do. The 'he used to pat me on the back' line had a combination of affrontary and a bit of boyish....bad touch connotations, LOL I will now forever think of Dance wandering the set with Tywinisms. No wonder they had him do that Long Story Short video as narrator.

Gotta love the King Robert guy they chose as well. I can totally picture him patting Tywin on the back and not even noticing the effect.

I think the line was something like..

"I never liked your first husband, Robert. He used to pat me on the back alot."

I'll have to replay it. :)

Gotta love the King Robert guy they chose as well. I can totally picture him patting Tywin on the back and not even noticing the effect.

I think the line was something like..

"I never liked your first husband, Robert. He used to pat me on the back alot."

I'll have to replay it. :)

Mark Addy was a PERFECT washed up Robert. Not as good looking as he could have been, but he still had the personality down pat.

Speaking of Addicted, and how it effects daily life, I was just out rocking and rolling to the radio in my car, and a song that's not my favorite came on and almost changed the station....but, it was Fire and Ice by Pat Benatar, LOL, so I left it on and gave more attention to the lyrics than I usually would. Hehe :dunno:

I think some of the lines we say about some of the characters probably sound great in Finnish.

Winter is Coming

the North Remembers

we do not Sow

idk.. something funny about Roose?

Actually Winter is coming sounds awesome expecially here in the north because winters are longer and colder. And the North Remembers is something I have found also elsewhere, it was stated in some modern Russian novel or short story that was about the Meryans, the Finno-ugric people, and their almost forgotten burial rituals. I also have studied the idea of northern collective cultural memory in Finnish Lapland in one of my essays. The North Remembers is totally something I can strongly identify with.

But there's a great problem with Winterfell. In northern Finland there's a huge and problematic nickel mine called Winterfell. It has had some serious environment hazards and it has effected very negatively the nature nearby. It is said that Winterfell destroys tourism and nature values of the area. :lol: Not funny for real though.

Actually Winter is coming sounds awesome expecially here in the north because winters are longer and colder. And the North Remembers is something I have found also elsewhere, it was stated in some modern Russian novel or short story that was about the Meryans, the Finno-ugric people, and their almost forgotten burial rituals. I also have studied the idea of northern collective cultural memory in Finnish Lapland in one of my essays. The North Remembers is totally something I can strongly identify with.

But there's a great problem with Winterfell. In northern Finland there's a huge and problematic nickel mine called Winterfell. It has had some serious environment hazards and it has effected very negatively the nature nearby. It is said that Winterfell destroys tourism and nature values of the area. :lol: Not funny for real though.

That is very interesting, I'm American but very interested in Russian and Scandinavian history/culture, etc. Actually, I find the entire world interesting, but that's beside the point that I do like reading and learning about the history of places, too. The Winterfell story is quite interesting, too, and as you say, not really, really funny, but I get what you meant. I would have never guessed that there was a Winterfell of any type somewhere, good or bad. I remember when I first started reading I had the idea that Winterfell was a lazy name for the Northern estate, and now, I LOVE IT, go figure, LOL

When people get too drunk around my dad he says they are 'in their cups' all the time. I have also had marital problems involving ASOIAF, my husband read book 1 and part of 2 then stopped. I encourage him to keep reading all the time so we can talk about it. I really dont understand why in the world he wont just do it!!! Maybe one of you could try and explain it to him lol?

I have this one friend, who is a lurker here but never posted, whenever we hang out ASOIAF is all he wants to talk about, so much so , that I have to tell him to shut up as no one else knows or cares what we are talking about. I told him he needs to just start posting here and gets some of it out, so he can focus on real life when it's happening around him.

But the biggest problems, of course, are when the books come out. I dont talk to anyone for days, cry sporadically. And when I read the last Jon chapter of Dance for the first time I was screaming and crying, then threw the book across the room and almost broke the TV. My husband was not amused at all. :blushing:

That is very interesting, I'm American but very interested in Russian and Scandinavian history/culture, etc. Actually, I find the entire world interesting, but that's beside the point that I do like reading and learning about the history of places, too. The Winterfell story is quite interesting, too, and as you say, not really, really funny, but I get what you meant. I would have never guessed that there was a Winterfell of any type somewhere, good or bad. I remember when I first started reading I had the idea that Winterfell was a lazy name for the Northern estate, and now, I LOVE IT, go figure, LOL

I'm also very interested in especially northern cultures, finno-ugric and Siberian people for example. In Finland there's of course the important issue of the Sami peolpe and their rights as an indigenous people in the most northern part of Finland.

The cultural variety and the variety of traditions is also very interesting in ASOIAF context. I love it when I find intertextual refences or references to real world cultures.

The case of the Winterfell nickel mine gets even more tragicomic when it was revealed that their first massive leak of toxic waste was caused by cold winter weather, ice and stuff. :stunned: Brace yourselves, winter is coming!

First, I love your username! Second, yes! Like you I was surprised by Oberyn (couldn't they at least have faked a widow's peak?) but the one I've been bothered by most so far is Meera Reed. So not how she's described in the books. I've only watched part-way through season two but I've seen pictures.

I had another addiction moment today. I had a major crackpot connection that's either absolutely brilliant or utterly insane, and no one to talk it over with. :frown5:

Crackpot theories also pop into my head unbidden...I work hard to control that. And characters. At conference this week and my brain drifted off. Instead of the presentation, I was contemplating if my redemptive views of the Hound and Jaime can stand in the face of Mycah's murder and Bran's fall....

Ok, this reminds me, I had two addiction/obssession moments yesterday, show and book related. First off, in the food store yesterday......I wound up stuck behind some smaller looking dude, head shaved, arms pumped, and I had to think to myself....OMG, I'm stuck tailing TVPolliver, as TV Arya said, he was a little dude.

Then........another person a bit later breezes by me and they are wearing a tvshirt with three lines of words on the front. First word was: Aero, and immediately I think: Oh.......Hotah, LOL It probably helps that we have the casting info now for next season, Dorne, and Hotah, and well, I am one of the few who likes Hotah.

• 4 weeks later...

So....

I've seen the word 'warmer' several times in the last couple of days (don't ask me why, lol) and everytime I see it I can't help but initially read 'warhammer' and then I'm like "Oh hell yeah!" -- before realizing it's actually just 'warmer' come to trick me again. I shared this with my wife yesterday and I got the typical eye roll :rolleyes: ...

I play this word game called word chums all the time. Sometimes I repeatedly put a word on there & can't figure out why it is telling me it's an invalid word & then I realize I'm putting in Rhaegar or some other word that only exists in ASOIAF

Archived