X-Men Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

I thought it was great, but not quite as good as First Class. Quicksilver, of course, was excellent as were most of the mutants. The only exception being Bishop, who I thought was way under-utilized.

I really liked First class, but I think DoFP was a far better movie.

First class was a pretty shitty movie imo. Better than the Wolverines and X-3 but that's not very hard. It started very strong, Fassbender hunting Nazi's was very good, but it fell flat on his face when they started to assemble a team.

DoFP was leagues ahead of it. DoFP is a very good movie. And I say that as someone who doesn't like superheroes, so it's pretty rare (from my perspective) when a movie about superheroes is this good.

This really seems like a good year for superheroes to be honest. Normally, I avoid them like the plague when they are in the theatre and watch them when they are broadcast on TV here. This year however, I was first outvoted to go and see Cap 2 (which had a nonsensical plot, but the smaller action scenes and the talk scenes between BW and Cap were great) and then my Fassbender bias (mixed with favorable review) kicked in and made me go see DoFP.

And GotG looks great as well from the trailers. A very good year indeed.

How were Dinklage's Trask and Tatum's Gambit?

Also... am I mistaken in thinking that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is playing Quicksilver in the next Avengers film? Is that just because they're separate universes and didn't want to conflate them?

Dinklage was good, he didn't have as much screen time as I thought he would, but I liked him in the role.

Gambit wasn't in this one, that casting is for a future X-Men movie.

Fox owns the rights to all mutant characters, so Avengers Quicksilver will never be referred to as a mutant. I'm not sure how they will get around that. The other guy has his work cut out for him to top DoFP Quicksilver.

Fox owns the rights to all mutant characters, so Avengers Quicksilver will never be referred to as a mutant. I'm not sure how they will get around that. The other guy has his work cut out for him to top DoFP Quicksilver.

Definitely. Dofp quicksilver is going to be very hard to top. For the small amount of screen time he had it was impressive how developed his character was. Didn't hurt that the actor had huge charisma. Never seen him before

Quite possibly the best X-Men movie so far, continuity issues be damned. In fact I'm glad they just threw everything out the window, and the entire band is back together at the end.

Also, a lot of people were saying this is just another Wolverine movie. Could not be farther from the truth. Other than bringing the future to the past, he plays a fairly small role, especially in the final fight. This movie is about quite a few characters, but especially Xavier and Mystique.

The fight scenes with the future Sentinels were awesome and heart wrenching. (Colossus ripped in half, Iceman decapitated, etc.)

Quicksilver is a testimony of the old "appearances can be deceiving" saying: yes his costume sucks, but the character was very well portrayed. That slow motion scene was both hilarious and brilliant.

I liked that they teased us after the credits with Apocalypse, though I don't remember the guy every looking as a human. The four horsemen watching was cool.

Edit: I suppose the only thing that needed explaining (because Xavier's survival was in the after credits of X3, minus the body) is Kitty Pride's power of sending someone back in time.

I think this was the most fun I had with an X-Men film so far. I'm actually genuinely interested in seeing another one now, and it seems to have wiped X3 and the Wolverine movies out of continuity. That alone is probably worth the price of admission.

Post credit scene: Apocalypse and the four horsemen, I presume?

Yes. Apocalypse looks odd here, a blue skinned human, but we'll see how that turns out.

I am certainly very excited by the idea of them finally moving toward Apocalypse, especially considering how good this film was.

Anyway, just back from seeing this, this was a great film. Is it the best X-men film so far? Well it is the most ambitious, it is better than First Class ( which I liked but is simply not as great a story as this, or as epic) but I think this feels pretty much on par with X2 as a really great X-Men film.

What did I really like?

1) The future Sentinels were the definition of awesome. I was astounded by how exciting and versatile they were, truly massive robots that made it believable that even powerful mutants fell to such enemies. The opening scene was stunning. The final fight in the future was also very good. They reminded me of The Destroyer in Thor 1, very menacing.

2) Fassbender was again just great as Magneto, flawless really. And he gets good stuff to do.

3) There was some funny stuff in this film, especially the Quicksilver scenes which were obviously a total success with everyone in the audience. He was great.

4) Wolverine was alright in this film, had some good scenes with Beast. Also Stewart nails it again as Xavier.

Stuff I was less keen on and made the film fall just short of a complete success for me:

1) I wish there had been more scenes in the future. The setting of this film is basically the 70's and I found parts of the story happening there lacking in excitement. The story seemed to halt somewhat sometimes. I'm usually not one to cry for more action but when the action is as good as in these X-Men films, I could have more of it. I think Singer tried to hard to give every party involved a believable reason for what they were doing, that he sometimes elaborated too much on those reasons, and it turned a bit dull to me.

2) Basically comes down to the same thing, I wish Old Xavier and Old Magneto did more in this film.

But all in all this is a must see film. 8 out of 10 for me. And a girlfriend who loved the film as well and forgave me for taking her to Godzilla last week.

Edit: I suppose the only thing that needed explaining (because Xavier's survival was in the after credits of X3, minus the body) is Kitty Pride's power of sending someone back in time.

I'm guessing they gave her that power as a nod to the original DoFP comics. She didn't have said power in the comics, but she was the one who went back in time, not Wolverine. It just felt like a way to make a relatively small movie character more important to the story.

Wait how? Magneto was about 35ish in the movie right? How he had a 20 yo son? I am confused. That is the result of spoilers before seeing the movie.

I don't think Quicksilver was supposed to be that old in the movie. I'd guess more like 16 or 17, and Fassbender is 37, so the math adds up for it to work. There is a scene where Quicksilver mentioned his mom dated a man that could control metal.

One of the producers said that the little girl is not Wanda, but he did they they deleted a scene which referenced Wanda. "Peter's" mother tells him to go upstairs and bother his sister -- referencing Wanda. The scene was cut, though.

Time travel is usually my pet peeve in films, as it's rarely gotten right. But, if the movie had holes, I think it did a good enough job in not making me consider them. I think the only thing that I pondered was why Quicksilver wasn't used to resolve the whole movie, as he was portrayed to be speed-of-light kinds of quick. While Joss should be inspired by the awesome sequence in this film, I'm not so sure Quicksilver should be this fast in Avengers.

Loved the movie a lot, though. I thought the future sequences were executed so well. The incoming Sentinels always felt dark, foreboding, and pretty frightening. The Blink effects were fantastic, yet disorienting -- in the best way possible. Magneto coming in as thee ultimate reinforcement gave me goosebumps. Just really great stuff. I still think certain effects, like Colossus steeling up, Sunspot firing up, and Iceman icing up, look a little too cheap. Just in the sense that their powered forms look too one note.

The stuff in the past had the great performances. McAvoy and Fassbender were perfectly cast. Wolvie didn't feel as forced down my throat as he's been in past films -- even if I saw more of his ass in this movie than I thought I ever would. Literally.

The end felt like a great bow. I'm ready for a new era, with new younger versions of these characters.

I friggin loved this movie....

from the get-go, FOX screwed up the francise.... and I think that this was the best anyone could do at this point in time

I get why they needed to have wolverine and not kitty go back in time... I liked that she was able to "time phase" so that she remained a vital part of the story.... I love that Halle Berry barely spoke... I was glad that it wasn't the mutant overload that I thought it would be... I love that they fixed the Kitty /Bobby romance and put her back w/ Colossus ....the guy who played Nixon was great...

I have my nitpicks, sure.... but overall, I loved it.

Time travel is usually my pet peeve in films, as it's rarely gotten right. But, if the movie had holes, I think it did a good enough job in not making me consider them. I think the only thing that I pondered was why Quicksilver wasn't used to resolve the whole movie, as he was portrayed to be speed-of-light kinds of quick. While Joss should be inspired by the awesome sequence in this film, I'm not so sure Quicksilver should be this fast in Avengers.

Because just like the eagles in Middle-earth, Quicksilver can only be used sparingly. ;)

Just saw the movie. I liked it except that it tied up a little too neatly at the end.

In the movie universe, does Magneto only have the power to control metal, or is he a god of electromagnetism?

Previous movies suggested the former, but the scenes in this movie where he makes his own movie projector, uses his hand to hack a card-swiper and obviously, controls the Sentinels imply the latter.

I really enjoyed the future scenes. Blink and Bishop were friggin awesome. Warpath and Sunspot were pretty cool. Kitty and Ice gel really good together. Colossus was meh, but I've always thought Colossus was meh, so the movie even got that right.

Quicksilver was epic. I don't get all the comments on his clothes...it was the 70s...leave it be...

I ended up enjoying this movie even more than Avengers...and the next one looks so...En Sabah Nur!

Archived