Season Five Casting

Skywarpgold

Huge news from WiC.net! They are casting for a ton of new roles next season:

• Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.

• Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.

• Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.

The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):

• Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.

• Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.

• Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.

• High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.

• Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.

• Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.

• Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.

• Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.

• The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/05/23/characters-confirmed-game-thrones-season-5-new-details/

ETA: Note that the article states that this is not a complete list, just what they were able to obtain at this time.

Yeah, looks like they are going full blast on Dorne. I can admit that I was wrong about that one. I wonder though if Greyjoy casting news just hasn't leaked yet, or if that's a place that is getting cut back?

I'm very excited about the Lollys casting, Bronn's not leaving the show!

I think the biggest news on that list though is Maggy the Frog. Are flashbacks finally going to be a thing?

Though interesting approach. No Sarella, so might have to wait till 6 for Oldtown. Some very minor characters there, interesting Trystane is so aged up too. I assume that's not the full list? If it is I am exceedingly disappointed .

All 3 sand snakes is a bit surprising

maggy the frog more so unless we go flashback for the first time, which will be annoying given the missed opportunities

Very interested to see where Maggy the Frog is going to fit in. I never liked that part of the books and figured it would be cut from the show as Cersei's motivationsa re clear enough without adding a prophecy into the mix. Given that up until now the show has avoided prophecies and flashbacks (except in Bran's storyline) then I wonder how she will be included.

The two options I see are that either Bran has the flashback himself, or that Maggy is reworked to has some kind of appearance in the present. She may appear to give some cryptic prophecy about the valonquar (Cersei could then hire assassins to give Tyrion some conflict in his story) or about the young princess, giving her some extra fuel to add to the Margaery fire.

Lollys's casting has made me wonder if she might be s substitute for some Qyburn nastiness too.

Areo doesn't really surprise me, I always though he would make it as some kind of bit part. Kind of like Doran's own Jory Cassel.

The article said that the cast list was by no means complete, so let's not freak out about characters being cut yet. ;)

Well, I don't see anyone freaking out...

I'm waiting to see if they're going to cast Darkstar. I already feel sorry for the actor that gets that part--if they have him say his famous lines, fans all over the world are going to burst into mocking laughter.

Considering the Griffs aren't on the list, the list clearly is not complete. Relax everyone :P

:agree:

Also, I think Trystane = Quentyn now...

Minus the traveling to Essos part. But agreed.

I'm really hoping that religion is going to play a big subplot. I loved the Faith stuff from AFFC/ADWD. And so much Dorne! Beautiful. We're going to be swimming in attractive ladies next season.

I think that it's a real possibility that Arianne will be cut, and that Trystane will be Doran's sole heir and will have Quentyn's role. Thinking about it, Arianne's role can easily be filled up by the Sand Snakes: complaining that Doran doesn't move a finger, trying to crown Myrcella (one of them could be the one who harms Myrcella, cuting Arianne's crew too), ending in prison, and finaly being revealed by Doran that he is working against the Lannisters. Then, in the finale (or early next season), Trystane dies and one of them becomes heir to Sunspear as Arianne was.

I think it works.

Well, I don't see anyone freaking out...

I'm waiting to see if they're going to cast Darkstar. I already feel sorry for the actor that gets that part--if they have him say his famous lines, fans all over the world are going to burst into mocking laughter.

:lol: poor Darkstar.

I can't wait to.see who they cast for Hotah and i wonder who Obara will be fighting.

Archived