[Book Spoilers] The Duel

^In the promo we see that Gregor has a squire who gives him his sword. Maybe he'll chop his own squire in half for some reason or another. And if anyone could think of a reason to chop in half his own squire, it's Greg.

The previews have me concerned the fight will be too theatrical with needless flips and twists. Something that feels real and visceral will suffice... and I expect that I'll be disappointed if Oberyn isn't head-crushed but potentially an alternative could suffice. We'll see.

^Well it is based on wushu, which I assume means that there's some practical basis for him to be dancing around like that. He's tiring the Mountain and showing off simultaneously, that seems to be in character at least.

My favorite TV fight scene is still Thirteenth! scene in Rome, but in GoT I really liked Hound and Beric. I think this one will top Hound/Beric, maybe even Rome scene, but that would be difficult.

I hope Oberyn's demise is left the same as in the books. The horrific way in which it happens adds so much to the shock and we saw Mountain cut down some random people already - killing Oberyn with a sword would be dissapointing, and it also has the potential of looking ridiculous if he cuts him in half. So they may as well just attempt to recreate book events, it may be hard to pull it off but not impossible.

I do hope at least some of Oberyn's lines were kept mainly the chase you through all seven hells line and Say her name!

Never speak ill of the Thirteenth. I hope the keep the head bashing in, I got a dark chuckle on the "Like this"

I'll be very disappointed if they leave out Oberyn's chant concerning Elia and her children. Even so, I don't have much hope that they'll manage to do the scene justice, as their fight scenes in the show have been very underwhelming so far (though I did like Ned and Jaime's).

Just found this thread and really don't have time to do the whole thing, I just did want to say that I hope they keep the line about all Oberyn's noise making The Mountain's Head hurt. Since we do learn that he was a migraine sufferer and hence, has too high a tolerance to the poppy juice thanks to that, I think the line would make sense. Besides, then I might be guaranteed some of that after action suffering on his part, LOL Plus, as a migraine sufferer (my daughter has one right now, poor thing), I did totally understand that line. Well, I understood it once I learned the migraine part of the tale.

On a quick side note; rewatching the coming attraction clip, I did notice that Mountain 3.0 gave a pretty good rage scream, I was encouraged when I noticed that. Mountain 1.0 had the boiling rage thing down well, and the clip made me see, or hear, the new guy in a better light. The idea he has basketball skills sounds hopeful, too.

ETA: This was in reply to: @Konradsmith and the post about The Mountain's line about You're making my head hurt, sorry, wrong browser. :blushing:

Two small details I want to see is that random person in the crowd who gets killed or seriously wounded (can't remember the exact details) and Tyrion throwing up.

The person ends up getting chopped in half. But I hope they include these two key points, feel like it adds an extra kick to the already iconic fight.

Just re-read the chapter and I hope they include the talk before the fight between Oberyn and Tyrion about their mothers. Also really looking forward to how they show the ending of it and how they will make it happen. They have to include the whole "raped her, murdered her, killed her children" "No I did this_______"

^I hope we get the Dornishman's wife too (and it would be a perfect fit), but I think we would've heard something by now about it being recorded, wouldn't we?

I actually think we might learn of The Dornishman's Wife during this episode, so maybe hear it for the first time as, for example, Oberyn/Ellaria has it played for Tyrion and explains the story of the song or something.

Considering what is to come, The Dornishman's Wife has to become the new Rains of Castamere for the viewers. I also think it is a bit of a cop out to have two versions of Rains as their 'band songs' for two seasons. So there may come a slow and melancholic version of the Wife that is used at the end of the next episode.

I know, wishful thinking and all, but let's hope they show the increased budget over the years in more than just visuals!

Now.. when it comes to fights and the OP:

I am hoping this will be the best fight in the series so far, it surely has the potential to and it also is in the books.. When it comes to personal favorites so far;

In the show I really liked Jon vs the Halfhand. It did not disappoint me as it did seem like a real fight, even if every viewer already knew it was a mock fight. My favorite aspect is the small moment of hesitation in Jon after he disarmed him, it was very subtle but I loved that little detail.

One of my problems with the duel is I don't think TV watchers know just how great of a warrior Oberyn is, he's had his opening scene where he stabed the Lanister in the wrist, but that's about it. Would have been good to have some stories told about how he actually got the name Red Viper, and other fights he has had.

Another is how it's going to end, I think the TV watchers like Oberyn too much for him to just lose fairly, perhaps sacrifice himself somehow or lose to dirty tricks but just not fairly.

I gathered from the book (It's been a couple of years since I've read it mind) that after catching the mountain a few times Oberyn could have ended it at any time he wanted, but he wanted to draw out the confession, as long as they keep something like this in I'll be happy

I actually think we might learn of The Dornishman's Wife during this episode, so maybe hear it for the first time as, for example, Oberyn/Ellaria has it played for Tyrion and explains the story of the song or something.

Considering what is to come, The Dornishman's Wife has to become the new Rains of Castamere for the viewers. I also think it is a bit of a cop out to have two versions of Rains as their 'band songs' for two seasons. So there may come a slow and melancholic version of the Wife that is used at the end of the next episode.

I really hope you're right. One of my biggest gripes has been the fact that they've only included two songs (unless you found the Hymn of the Mother for that hot minute). I'm assuming we won't get Last of the Giants, but I have been excited for Dornishman's Wife all season. If the duel credits end with Rains, I'm going to throw things.

One of my problems with the duel is I don't think TV watchers know just how great of a warrior Oberyn is, he's had his opening scene where he stabed the Lanister in the wrist, but that's about it. Would have been good to have some stories told about how he actually got the name Red Viper, and other fights he has had.

Normally I'd agree but most non book readers seem to think that Oberyn will win. I think there's more to right/wrong thing here. They just can't imagine something like RW happening again where good people are slaughtered. Especially that Gregor was just set up last ep, really, and Oberyn was hyped so much in promos. They don't think it's possible they'll lose him next ep. Oh my this is gonna be interesting to watch.

Tyrion did mention something about Oberyn being a skilled warrior in premiere as well as Cersei when they spoke in the gardens. I'm sure we will get a reminded of his knowledge of poisons before the trial.

I really hope you're right. One of my biggest gripes has been the fact that they've only included two songs (unless you found the Hymn of the Mother for that hot minute). I'm assuming we won't get Last of the Giants, but I have been excited for Dornishman's Wife all season. If the duel credits end with Rains, I'm going to throw things.

We really hear Rains far too often. I hope Ramin came up with a lot of new music for the last 3 eps.

I'm sure they are going to make this scene amazing.

So far, the huge scenes the show has had to tackle have been are:

- Red Wedding

- Ned's death

- Dracarys

- Wildfire explosion

- Joffrey's death

They have aced all of them. I have complete trust in the quality of the scene, especially after how seeing confident D&D are about it.

I'm sure they are going to make this scene amazing.

So far, the huge scenes the show has had to tackle have been are:

- Red Wedding

- Ned's death

- Dracarys

- Wildfire explosion

- Joffrey's death

They have aced all of them. I have complete trust in the quality of the scene, especially after how seeing confident D&D are about it.

I'd add

-Viserys' "Golden Crown"

-Birth of the Dragons

-Mutiny at Craster's

-Hound vs Beric duel

-Ned vs Jaime

-Jaime's bathhouse speech

-Theon executing Rodrik

-Robb executing Karstark

-Bran getting tossed out the window

-Arrival of the Walkers/Wights at the Fist (even though we didn't get the subsequent battle)

-Wildling climb up the Wall

The only "big" scenes they haven't quite nailed (although I do like elements of them) are:

-House of the Undying (the imagery is masterful but they could have done even more if they weren't planning on including the book prophecies)

-Bear Pit (limited by the choice of working with a real bear)

-Jaime vs Brienne duel (good but could have been better)

-Ramsay's betrayal of Northmen and Theon/Ironborn and sacking of Winterfell (weakened severely by choice not to have Ramsay cast at that point in the story)

-Jon's fight with Halfhand (truncated and not set up adequately beforehand)

Regardless, it's a great batting average and as I said, even when they don't completely stick the landing, there are still things to admire about the scenes.

Archived