For those who have been with the books since the beginning

Hey everyone,

As someone who watched Season 1 of the TV show and immediately turned to the books to see where things were heading, I am curious about the experiences of those of you who have been with A Song of Ice and Fire since the first book came out in 1996.

My roommate has been reading since the mid-90's and now loves how "everyone is a nerd" and that the show and books have become so incredibly popular.

But on the other hand, I can imagine there may be some bitterness when something you love is suddenly discovered and adored by the masses (for example, it might not feel like it's "yours" as much).

So, any opinions or thoughts or stories you have to share would be much appreciated. I am considering writing an article about this for my blog, so let me know if you don't mind being quoted.

Thanks so much.

-Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I've only got into it the last few years, but that was because I was -1 years old when AGOT was published. Even so, it still irks me when people only know it from the TV show. I'm glad it's so popular, but I know what you mean. For example, I bought Bastille's first EP when they were exceptionally small. I tried to tell people about them and no-one cared, now they're massive and everyone likes them. Ah well... I still have a signed copy of their first vinyl. :P

...it still irks me when people only know it from the TV show. I'm glad it's so popular, but I know what you mean.

No matter what the medium -- books, music, art, dance, whatever -- there's always some folks who are early adopters, and some who catch on later.

The only ones worth getting pissed off at are those who drop something they love just 'cause it's become popular.

Come to LonCon, and you'll discover that the old hands and the newbs get along just fine...especially after proper lubrication has been applied.

No matter what the medium -- books, music, art, dance, whatever -- there's always some folks who are early adopters, and some who catch on later.

The only ones worth getting pissed off at are those who drop something they love just 'cause it's become popular.

Come to LonCon, and you'll discover that the old hands and the newbs get along just fine...especially after proper lubrication has been applied.

I mean people who are oblivious to the fact that there are books. I can hardly complain about the show since it's only because of that Waterstones had a display of the books to buy. :P

I mean people who are oblivious to the fact that there are books. I can hardly complain about the show since it's only because of that Waterstones had a display of the books to buy. :P

A lot of people are oblivious that there are books of a lot of films/TV shows. Fight Club is a pretty big example.

Some people just flat out don't like reading, personally I think it's great they can nerd out with all of us readers when the opportunity comes along :cheers:

A lot of people are oblivious that there are books of a lot of films/TV shows. Fight Club is a pretty big example.

Some people just flat out don't like reading, personally I think it's great they can nerd out with all of us readers when the opportunity comes along :cheers:

I guess so. After all, Brotherhood without Banners and all... :P Good point about Fight Club.

Of course, sometimes that "...nerd out with all of us readers..." situation has negative effects, too.

It's definitely one reason why GRRM lost a Best Novel Hugo to a Harry Potter book. (Not that I'm anti-Potter, but I didn't think the book was Hugo-calibre.)

Archived