Edge of Tomorrow [Spoilers]

Veltigar

Damn, this was the best blockbuster in years

It's up there certainly :)

This has been a great year for Blockbusters so far. X-Men, Cap 2, EoT, even Godzilla was pretty decent. And GotG could really knock it out of the park to.

Saw it the other day and it was a lot better than I expected - I'd definitely recommend it. It wasn't the exact plot I was expecting it to be so I think that helped, I thought it would be simulations not time travel. Tom Cruise didn't feel like he was just Tom Cruise which is what usually happened. He felt like his character.

When Tom Cruise disappears in his role, he can really be phenominal.

Just got out, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I like Tom Cruise -- he's great if the material is good, and the guy always puts in his all, no matter what. Emily Blunt was awesome and super badass (and ultra hot as always), though her character was slightly underdeveloped for me.

Overall it was quite good though. Interesting basic premise, good amount of humor, and nice action -- it never felt too over-the-top or anything. I also really liked the aliens and their design. It was something different.

Only gripe is the ending, which I was somewhat lackluster:

I don't know what exactly I would have preferred, but it to me the ending sequence became a pretty generic and predictable action movie, which contrasted badly with the rest of the flim. I'm not even sure what I'd change -- maybe make it a little darker? I don't know. Still an enjoyable experience overall, but so far it hasn't topped Captain America 2 as my blockbuster of the year).

Only gripe is the ending, which I was somewhat lackluster:

I don't know what exactly I would have preferred, but it to me the ending sequence became a pretty generic and predictable action movie, which contrasted badly with the rest of the flim. I'm not even sure what I'd change -- maybe make it a little darker? I don't know. Still an enjoyable experience overall, but so far it hasn't topped Captain America 2 as my blockbuster of the year).

The simple alternative would have been to simply end it after the death of the Omega. All the main characters are dead, but you would have been left with the assumption that they did end the threat. However, I can understand them wanting to spell out that humanity won, lots of people wouldn't like just ending there with the team all sacrificed for victory.

Great movie. I enjoyed everything, from the beginning to the end to the bits through the middle. Really well done. Perhaps my favorite sci-fi of the last ten years? Not sure. Have to review the list. But it had the right elements of everything. And Bill Paxton.

Great movie. I enjoyed everything, from the beginning to the end to the bits through the middle. Really well done. Perhaps my favorite sci-fi of the last ten years? Not sure. Have to review the list. But it had the right elements of everything. And Bill Paxton.

I had no idea someone had already started a thread about this. Anyway watched it today and it was awesome. They'd obviously spent plenty of time in developing the script, the acting was great even Tom was bearable. Best sci if movie of the year so far.

Awesome to see that so many people share my opinion. It really is a great blockbuster, I just hope it doesn't tank.

It was very good. Agreed. Looks like it's going to tank though. $10 mil on Friday is terrible for a movie that cost $175M. Hope the word of mouth gets strong and it improves.

Awesome to see that so many people share my opinion. It really is a great blockbuster, I just hope it doesn't tank.

I'll join you. Really good sci-fi movie. Loved the power suits, loved the references to both World Wars, great acting and characters.

Really hope it does well. Went to Rotten Tomatoes - its getting a really high rating. Read some of the professional negative reviews, and left scratching my head. I get when they just don't like a film, but they all got bits of it wrong. They tended to refer to the Normandy invasion as a suicide mission, or humanity's last foothold. Did they not see the film? The humans expect it to win. The General expects the beaches to be lightly contested. Or saying the first time he lands there that he's killed almost instantly.

Its very weird.

Matt Zoller Sitz's article implies he completely misunderstood how the alien time travel technology worked with the Alpha's vs. the humans as well...

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I liked this movie a lot. I normally hate bloodless PG-13 cartoony action, but the writing, acting, pacing, camerawork, fx, and everything else was just smart. I saw echoes of Groundhog Day (of course) but also Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix, War of the Worlds (the classic one). Best movie of the year so far.

Just got back, this was great, I really enjoyed both the action, plot and dark humor throughout. It was well worth the price of the ticket, popcorn, drink and Milk Duds.

Tom Cruise did great job showing Cage's evolution as the story unfolds. Emily Blunt was great, kicking ass (especially resetting Cage) and smoking hot. Paxton was a riot and the rest of the cast fit tight in.

My one quibble isn't with the movie exactly:

I wish they had gone another way than the "magic bullet" ends the war. Saw this in Oblivion, Independence Day and others where you kill the queen and everything else just stops dead.

Preferred if they could have had killing the Omega took away their time travel ability and left the humans and mimics on equal footing with the humans having the advantage in numbers. Similar to Starship Troopers, catching the Brain bug didn't end the war, it just gave humans the upper hand.

edit: actually Independence Day isn't a good example, but you get the point ;)

It was very good. Agreed. Looks like it's going to tank though. $10 mil on Friday is terrible for a movie that cost $175M. Hope the word of mouth gets strong and it improves.

Yeah I don't think it's been marketed that well. It deserves to take in big numbers especially given the shit I've sat through this year.....eww Spider-Man ...

It's a pearl amongst mountains of pig shit, how bad is the next transformers movie going to be? I bet that will take in a billion.

Saw it an enjoyed it very much. It was exactly what I hoped it would be, a very entertaining Sci-Fi Action movie. It doesn't seem like that should be hard to make yet often it seems to be. In all if you like Sci-Fi action movies, you will probably like enjoy this movie, and seeing it in theaters is a treat. If you do not enjoy sci-fi action movies you will probably not enjoy this and should catch it on Netflix.

Really hope it does well. Went to Rotten Tomatoes - its getting a really high rating. Read some of the professional negative reviews, and left scratching my head. I get when they just don't like a film, but they all got bits of it wrong. They tended to refer to the Normandy invasion as a suicide mission, or humanity's last foothold. Did they not see the film? The humans expect it to win. The General expects the beaches to be lightly contested. Or saying the first time he lands there that he's killed almost instantly.

Its very weird.

Matt Zoller Sitz's article implies he completely misunderstood how the alien time travel technology worked with the Alpha's vs. the humans as well...

I also take issue with his take on the - in his opinion -

unnecessary lovestory between Cage and Rita. I thought that was developed quite well. Cage grow to care for her in the long time he spend with her (possibly years) and she came to care for him because, by the time they got to Paris, she had basically rebuilt Cage into her perfect match

however since he gave the movie a 3,5/4 stars I'm willing to let it go :D

Yeah I don't think it's been marketed that well. It deserves to take in big numbers especially given the shit I've sat through this year.....eww Spider-Man ...

It's a pearl amongst mountains of pig shit, how bad is the next transformers movie going to be? I bet that will take in a billion.

Yeah, it's a shame that random dinobots will make a hack like Bay millions while a film like this get's shafted :(

I hope the word of mouth on this one get's to make up for a bit of the shitty marketing.

Best new movie i saw in a long time. Can not wait to rewatch. I watched it a week ago.

I agree with everyone on both Blunt and Cruise being awesome and that the alien design was new and very cool. Also, yes, a movie that treats you like an adult.

All the more or less minor character were great too.

This movie shows well that there is nothing wrong with with using some farmiliar concepts if you make something out of them.

The premise of the reset made for some realism in the aspect of the amount of days with tries and errors needed for Cage to grow and for them to overcome the enemy. It also produced good humor. And it did not feel annoyingly repetetive at all!

There are so many good things about this movie.

A lot of it was due to:

1. Zero time lost to family stuff

2. Minimum time spent on destruction of landmarks and civillian screaming

3. Minimum time spent on romantic stuff, and the stuff that was done was done well

4. Great overall pace

I hope a lot of movies take after ones like this but i am afraid they will not.

It hurts to hear it is not doing well in the box office. It just reinforces producers to make sequels, prequels, spin offs and alternate timelines of well known franchizes filled with cheap fuck-yeah moments like the favourite robot riding a t-rex and wielding a sword.

Though it's a very good film, it makes sense. I mean the only reason I saw this film was because my mate had already seen X-men DoFP without me and he suggested this instead. I just don't think these standalone sci-fi's are very popular at the moment. They build up these settings, characters, creatures and technology within a couple hours and then when it's over that's all discarded never to be seen again. With all these superhero franchises and triple A television series I think most audiences want a bit more to invest in when it comes to serious films.

Thoroughly entertaining and probably the best movie I've seen in theaters this year. Loved the mix of humor and action. I was caught off guard with Cruise's initial cowardice and thought we were headed for the standard boy turns into man type of storyline. It worked quite well.

Emily Blunt was pretty and the best part of the movie.

My only problem with the movie was

the ending and the way everything was wrapped up with a nice pink bow. The time travel aspect of it didn't fit either How does he go back even further in time but with the alien defeat still occurring? That seemed way too much like a Hollywood exec needed a happily ever after family movie to pitch for the summer audience (as opposed to a movie like Looper which I felt ended in a 'complete' manner).

Archived