GOODKIND X: Lemmings of Discord

Moosicus

We all thought Richard With The Temper had become crazy. We thought he might kill us all. We were all very afraid.

Well, the Mud People seem to be the most sensible I've seen yet in these QOTD's.

I'm trying to understand exactly what happened here. Did Richard shoot an arrow through the innocent guy and kill the guy with the spear? Or did the innocent guy duck or get out of the way somehow?

Well, the Mud People seem to be the most sensible I've seen yet in these QOTD's.

I'm trying to understand exactly what happened here. Did Richard shoot an arrow through the innocent guy and kill the guy with the spear? Or did the innocent guy duck or get out of the way somehow?

Richard shot the arrow at such precision (from a hundred yards away) that it caught the bad guy square in the forhead. But he had no choice (due to the angle) but to nick Chandalen's shoulder when he did.

Sorry, I spoiled a major plot twist in the final novel. Terry Goodkind told me about it personally, whilst he was baptising me and others in the River Jordan.*

Actually, the PRC is broadly in favour of this continuing, but female members of the PRC have tabled it for discussion at their forthcoming annual convention.

*May be bullshit.

Damn. I have to get to those meetings, and I envy you, Werthead. I wish I was there to be baptised as well.

Xray The Enforcer's request to take a peek at "Debt of Bones" intrigued me, and as it happens, I own a copy. I read it today at work (it was a short story originally in Legends I, I believe), and I bought as a book by itself.

I found that story weird and gory (the way TG (BBNC) luridly descriped how the hag sawed the head off a kid made me flinch). Not to mention confusing. I thought Zedd's daughter, Richard's father, was raped by Rahl, and to protect her, she was shrouded in a death spell. But in Debt of Bones, she's just a kid, and she's already shrouded in a death spell. I might have misread things, but that just boggles my mind.

The first one shot a ten-step arrow <this is an arrow treated with ten-step poison. It kills you before you can take ten steps. Get it?> at Richard before his own arrow even reached Chandalen.â€...

What is this, TG (BBNC)'s version of curare? (the South American tribes tested it on monkeys, though)

Savidlin’s voice was low, and trembled slightly. “He would not have missed. But Richard spun, pulling his last arrow from his quiver, a bladed arrow, and shot. I have never seen anyone do such a thing so fast.†He hesitated, as if he didn’t think whew old believe him. “Richard’s bladed arrow met the other in the air and split it in half. Each half went to one side of Richard.†<Oh. Kay.>

Someone has obviously been watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights. And a bladed arrow? WTH is that?

What I don't get is how El Magnificante does not kill Chandalen's henchman. The bowman shoots at Richard, who, acting with inhuman speed, shoots his own arrow to split the one coming at him. But if he does so, his arrow goes straight through to where the other one's arrow came from. Which means that he should also have killed Chandalen's little helper.

Or maybe he willed it to the side.

It would have been even cooler had Richard caught the arrow and threw it back at the guy, piercing his skull, or something like that.

Wait, isn't there a scene later in Stone of tears, or in blood of the fold, where R.R. (richard rahl) does this?

My morning routine is now cook some eggs, butter the toast and read the newest QotD. It makes my morning complete.

I found this passage illuminating. It established Richard’s character and foreshadows his psychotic behavior that will happen in future books.

Richard is really stupid. Knowing he only had one arrow left, he should’ve grab both of them. That way he would’ve had 3 in case the mudman got uppity again. Alas, this lack of foresight is only a glimmer of his inability to plan that will happen in the future.

Richard’s blood soaked future is just beginning There was no need to kill the invader. A single man, in the open, armed with only a spear is no match for several people that are carrying bows and arrows. Richard could’ve alerted his companions and

They could’ve interrogated their prisoner to find out his plans.

But Richard had to kill the guy instead. We find this behavior repeated later on. Maybe it was the positive reinforcement here that started Richard on his “kill first, ignore the evidence later†path.

My wacky theory. It’s really the mudmen that are the true master’s pulling everyone strings from the shadows. They are guiding Richard and making sure his lame plans succeed.

Richard’s blood soaked future is just beginning There was no need to kill the invader. A single man, in the open, armed with only a spear is no match for several people that are carrying bows and arrows. Richard could’ve alerted his companions and

They could’ve interrogated their prisoner to find out his plans.

But Richard had to kill the guy instead. We find this behavior repeated later on. Maybe it was the positive reinforcement here that started Richard on his “kill first, ignore the evidence later†path.

Bah! Richard doesn't need to interrogate people! he just tortures them. It's against his moral clarity.

more like 'kill first, never ask questions or you die'

He nodded slowly. “And then the other man shot. Richard had no more arrows. He stood, his bow in one hand, and waited. It too was a ten-step arrow. I could hear it ripping the air.â€

~Terry Goodkind, Stone of Tears

Wow. Descriptive. "Ripping the air". It's almost a good use of descriptive action. Almost.

I think if we put our heads together we could come up with much better slogans for the backs of those shirts.

On another subject, I think in the movie version of SoT, Jagang should be played by Ron Jeremy, the original Jagangbanger.

Some alternatives for the back of the shirts:

"Kicking Kids in the Jaw Since 1994!"

"Communists are Pussies!"/"Hippies are Pussies!"

"Kahlan is a Slut!"

"Love Life or I'll Kill You Myself"

"What Would Richard Rahl Do?"

"Hot and Sweaty Yeard Love"

"I'll Salt Your Fields, Bitch."

"Please Don't Beat Me Up"

"Delightfully Truthy, yet Uneducated"

"Richard Happens"

"It's Not Fantasy! It's Really NOT!"