GOODKIND X: Lemmings of Discord

Moosicus

Mad Moose, I think you have missed Verna, having her collared wizards raping slaves on the way to the palace of the prophets. The one where Richard encounter du chaillu. The killing of the blademasters later to fulfil prohepcy were pretty cringeworthy too.

If at all possible, remind me tomorrow morning. That is a good couple of scenes.

Richard turned a cold glare on Tristan. “You have white hairs on your knees. White goat hairs. You knelt behind that fence while you aimed the crossbow, and got the goat hairs on you.â€

Terry Goodkind, Temple of the Winds

Anyone else notice that it was the goat hairs that allowed Richard to "solve" the "mystery"? Is there nothing that these pure, noble creatures cannot do?

Good morning and welcome to the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. I hope everybody had a nice Terry-free weekend, I know I did. Moving along, I’d like to thank Enguerrand for his recommendations, one of which is today’s Quote. It follows Richard and Verna on their way to the Palace of the Prophets. They have to cross through the land of the Majendie and Verna takes some time to explain who they are and what they do, they decorate their borders with the skulls of their enemies for one. More to the point, she explains what Richard has to do to make the Majendie happy enough to let him and Verna pass through. Typically, the Majendie are savages who are completely lacking in moral celery and need Richard to show them the way. Poor blind bastards can’t even see the truth when it’s plainly written on a guy’s sword. So anyway, Richard and Verna enter the Majendie village and the local spirit woman rings a bell, summoning a bunch of warriors. Verna explains that if the woman rings the bell again, she and Richard will be killed. Yawn. The whole thing is way too long to quote in its entirety, the gist of it is that whenever the Sisters of the light bring a young wizard through, they have to take part in a Majendie ritual of sacrifice to please the spirits, blah blah blah. This usually entails blessing the dagger with which an enemy is executed. When the “Queen Mother†of the Majendie sees that Richard is a man, not a little boy as is usually the case, she decides that Richard has to kill the sacrifice himself. So she has some of her warriors take him to where the sacrifice waits.

“Careful now, lad. Don’t be too anxious. Keep your head about yourself, and you’ll have yourself a time with this savage.â€

They chuckled again with the private joke as they pushed the hanging aside and went through. Inside, the small, square room had a bare dirt floor. The ceiling was at least three stories high. A window near the top of one was cast the small room in dim light. The place smelled of the chamber pot off to the side.

Crouched to the far left was a naked woman. She tried to push herself farther into the corner when she saw the men. Arms around her knees, she pulled them tight to herself.

She was covered with dirty marks and smears, cuts and bruises. Her mass of long, tangled, black hair frizzed out, framing her filthy face. Her dark eyes narrowed with loathing as she watched the four men. By their leering smiles, she had cause to know them.

Around her neck was a thick iron collar connected by heavy chain to a massive pin in the wall.

The men spread out around the room, squatted, and leaned their backs against the walls. Their fists held their spears upright between their knees. Richard imitated them, squatting and leaning against the wall to the woman’s right.

“I wish to speak with the spirits,†Richard said. The four men blinked at him. “I must ask them how they wish it done.â€

“There is only one way to do it,†the man with the missing tooth said. “You must cut off her head. Now that the iron collar is around her neck, it’s the only way to get her out. Her head must be separated from her body.â€

“Even so, it must be done in the manner the spirits wish. I must talk with them. I must know exactly how to do this…to please them.â€

The all considered this. The man with the missing tooth pushed his cheek out with his tongue as he pondered. Finally he brightened. “The Queen Mother and her women drink juka to speak with the spirits. I could bring you some juka, and then you, too, could speak with the spirits.â€

“Then bring me this juka, so I may speak with the spirits and do as they command. I would not want to make a mistake, and ruin your planting sacrifice.â€

<Snip, they get him some juka, blah blah blah, he doesn’t actually drink it.>

The man closest to the woman, on the other side, seemed pleased that the Queen Mother had sent the juka. He gave Richard a knowing wink. Then he lifted his spearpoint to the woman’s face.

“The magic man has come to offer you to the spirits.†He smiled encouragement past her, to Richard. “But first, he would like to give you the spirits’ gift of his seed.†She didn’t move. His smile transformed into a sneer as he thumped the butt of his spear to the dirt. “Do not insult the spirits! You will take their offering!†His voice lowered to a growl. “Now.â€

Her eyes never leaving him, she uncoiled herself and obediently lay down on the dirt, on her back. She opened her legs and cast Richard a defiant glance. She obviously knew the consequence of denying these men what they wished.

The man sprang forward and stabbed his spear into her thigh muscle. She screamed out and flinched back.

“You know better than that! You will not insult us! We are not stupid!†He feigned another jab. “Do it properly!â€

Richard’s fingers curled around the hilt of his sword, but otherwise he did not move. The woman made no effort to tend the bleeding gash on her leg, but instead obediently turned over onto her elbows and knees, sticking her bottom up in the air.

The men chuckled to Richard.

“You would not like to lie with this one face-to-face,†the man with the missing tooth said. “She bits.†The others nodded their certain knowledge of that. “Mount her this way, and hold her by her hair. She will not be able to bite you this way, and you can have all you wish.â€

The men waited. Neither Richard nor the woman moved.

“Can you fools not see?†the woman said. “He does not wish to mount me like a dog in front of you!†Her face lying against the dirt, she gave Richard a mocking smile. “He is shy. He does not wish you to see how little his magic stick is.â€

Every eye was on him. Richard’s knuckles were white around the hilt. He strained to put an emotionless face over the rage of the magic searing through him from the sword. He struggled to maintain reason. <That’s a first.>

Letting the magic loose in here would accomplish nothing.

One of the men gave a playful elbow to another and laughed. “Perhaps she is right. He is a young one. Maybe he is not used to others watching his pleasure.â€

The seams around his control were strained near to bursting. Richard concentrated on keeping his free hand steady and making it move gracefully. He lifted the clay pot with the juka, showing it to them. He labored mightily to keep his voice even. “The spirits wish to speak to me of important matters.â€

The smiles all withered. They knew him as a magic man, but not a young one as they were used to seeing. They didn’t have any idea of his power, but were obviously worried about it, worried about his smoldering, too quiet smoothness. <???>

“We must leave him to his duty,†one of the men said. “we should leave him to be with the spirits, and to take his pleasure from the savage if he wishes before he gives the spirits this offering.†He bowed his shiny head to Richard. “we will leave you to your peace. We will wait in the room where you saw us first.â€

Solemn-faced, the four hurried off. After they were gone, and she could be sure they were a good distance away, the woman spat at him.

She arched her back like a cat in heat, sticking her behind higher in the air. “You may mount me now, like the dog you are. Come, magic man, prove you can mount a woman when she is held for you by a chain. You can do no worse to me than the other dogs.†She spat at him again. “You are all dogs.â€

Richard extended his leg and shoved a foot against her hip, tipping her over. <Ever a gentleman.> “I’m not like those men.â€

She rolled onto her back. She threw her arms and legs open and gave him a contemptuous glare. “So. You wish to have me like this, to prove you are better than they?â€

Richard gritted his teeth. “Stop it. I’m not here for that.â€

She sat up., She lifted her chin, but her eyes filled with sudden terror. “So, you will sacrifice me now?â€

Richard realized his hand was still gripping the hilt. He had forgotten to maintain a calm expression. He took his hand away, letting the magic recede and his rage cool. As she watched, he poured the juka on the dirt floor.

“I’m going to get you out of this. My name is Richard. What’s yours?â€

Her eyes narrowed. “Why do you wish to know?â€

“Well, if I’m going to take you out of here, I need to know what to call you. I can’t call you ‘woman.’â€

She surveyed him silently for a moment. “I am Du Chaillu.â€

“Do I call you Du? Or Chaillu? Or Du Chaillu?â€

Puzzlement wrinkled her brow. “Du Chaillu. That is my name.â€

<This stirring dialogue goes on for a while, Richard takes out the sword to free her from the collar.>

“Swords cannot cut iron!â€

Richard lifted an eyebrow. “Magic can.â€

<Oh Jebus, this just keeps going on and on. Basically they make a deal, Richard will free her and she’ll take them through her land to the Palace of the Prophets Of course Du Chaillu has the idea that she and Richard could kill Sister Verna and then he wouldn’t have to go to the Palace, resulting in one of Richards funniest lines….>

“I don’t kill people unless I’m forced to….†<HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA>

~Terry Goodkind, Stone of Tears

This was running too long and there’s quite a bit more to go, so we’ll see the exciting conclusion in tomorrows Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. Same Yeard time. Same Yeard channel.

I like the idea that unless he's actively seeking to repress it there's an air of menace and murderous intent around Richard. Maybe if he were portrayed as a psychopath rarely in control of himself or his emotions rather then the arbiter of reason some of this stuff might play better.

Richard the Master Thief:

"Excuse me, Mr Jeweller, I need to talk to the spirits, so could you step outside for a moment? I won't be long. Yes, just leave the keys to the safe there on the table, I'll keep an eye on them."

Regarding the previous QotD, do we know why Nicci cast the "maternity spell" (?!) on Kahlan if she was intending to torment her? Given that the only way to do that would be for Nicci to torment herself? Seems a bit daft to me. Unless it was, as I suggested, just a really really lame excuse for a bit of rough sex.

Regarding the previous QotD, do we know why Nicci cast the "maternity spell" (?!) on Kahlan if she was intending to torment her? Given that the only way to do that would be for Nicci to torment herself? Seems a bit daft to me. Unless it was, as I suggested, just a really really lame excuse for a bit of rough sex.

The purpose of the maternity spell was to control Richard by producing a constant threat to Kahlan's life. The rough sex was just a bonus.

Anyone else notice that it was the goat hairs that allowed Richard to "solve" the "mystery"? Is there nothing that these pure, noble creatures cannot do?

I know! I was amazed by that as well. It's just amazing what these creatures can do. Sheep hairs never helped anyone solve any mysteries, of course. And let's not even start to think about how useless chicken feathers would have been.

I think the "noble goat" thing is all about a reaction to hearing to how God will separate the sheep from the goats, combined with rabid despite for both Christianity and the sheeple who believe in it. That leaves the goats to idolize for their great virtue of not being sheep, and also because goats have an edgy flavor in them with their association of the lower half of Satan's body in some traditions.

It's much less funny when you realize it isn't really as arbitrary as it seems. Instead, the goat bit is just yet more preaching.

I think the "noble goat" thing is all about a reaction to hearing to how God will separate the sheep from the goats, combined with rabid despite for both Christianity and the sheeple who believe in it. That leaves the goats to idolize for their great virtue of not being sheep, and also because goats have an edgy flavor in them with their association of the lower half of Satan's body in some traditions.

It's much less funny when you realize it isn't really as arbitrary as it seems. Instead, the goat bit is just yet more preaching.

I had assumed that was the connection. But it's still innately hilarious to elevate one species of animal to being 'noble' in that way. It's certainly yet another way in which TG preaches at us, but then I'm not sure there's anything in his books that is not obvious preaching.

I had assumed that was the connection. But it's still innately hilarious to elevate one species of animal to being 'noble' in that way. It's certainly yet another way in which TG preaches at us, but then I'm not sure there's anything in his books that is not obvious preaching.

In all fairness, TG never actually said anything about the nobility of goats. I don't think that that's his message, no matter how funny it is to attribute it to him.

Really... some people are taking certain parts of this thread way too seriously.

:o

So the "hero" rapes two women. (Separately or at the same time? Never mind I don't want to know.) This causes the women to fall for him madly? And this guy created a cult religion? God (or human intelligence) save us. :leaving:

Let's just say it involved a bed and chains :sick: And making each watch in turn ( :sick: :sick: :sick: )

(goes off to be violently ill)

Fifty Million people can't be wrong... Mystar's secret source is revealed!

Yes, because his agent is such an unbiased source ;) No, Tor themselves have said 11 million worldwide including foreign editions in 20 languages. Goodkind's French publishers were also asked to investigate and they came back with the same number (and that's worldwide sales). That would also match his relatively moderate profile as well. It's still a hell of a lot of books (twice what Martin has sold, although understandable as that's 10 books compared to 4) and makes him Tor's second biggest-selling author (Jordan has sold 30 million+), but doesn't make him a phenomenon or anything.

In all fairness, TG never actually said anything about the nobility of goats. I don't think that that's his message, no matter how funny it is to attribute it to him.

Really... some people are taking certain parts of this thread way too seriously.

It's so hard to know what parts to take seriously and what parts not to, though! With TG I know to hang on his every word, but with you guys... suddenly there's all this doubt, uncertainty. I need objectivism with its clear answers and lack of ambiguity. All this relativity is just killing me. :cry:

I know! I was amazed by that as well. It's just amazing what these creatures can do. Sheep hairs never helped anyone solve any mysteries, of course. And let's not even start to think about how useless chicken feathers would have been.

I think we need to put together a comprehensive Goodkind animal mythology so we can sort all this out.

We know that goats are good. As are wolves.

Animals that serve the forces of Evil include Chickens, centipedes (I'm making an assumption here, since in one of the previous QOTDs the Imperial Order was described as fighting in a centipede like manner) and Jackals (in one book he thanked the CIA for defending America from the Jackals of Evil or some other moronic thing).

Is there anything else that I am missing? These animal teams are somewhat counterintuitive if you ask me. Wouldn't the wolf try and eat the goat? And it seems like the chicken would always be trying to eat the centipede- maybe the Jackal acts as a sort of mediator between the chicken and the centipede so they can concentrate their energies on evil.

Archived