GOODKIND X: Lemmings of Discord

Moosicus

I love how Terry Goodkind present Richard with some moral dilemmas and makes him solve them.

1. Step One: Describe an enemy of foe and make it look evil.

2. Step Two: Have Richard arrive there and be forced to witness this said evil.

3. Step Three: This enemy is not just evil but it's also stupid which gives Richard a chance even though he is completely outnumbered.

4. Step Four: Richard seizes his chance and then manages to take revenge against this enemy that it's evil and because the enemy is evil hi has a very good reason to be angry.

5. Step Five: have Ricard have his way even though in a normal situation he would never had.

Terry Goodkind loves to have Richard foes give him "reasons" to justify Richard's terrible revenge. Richards's diplomacy could be called "Ribbentropean": create a casus belli and then crush the enemy using the reason that this incident has given you. The good thing for Richard is that he doesn't need any secret organization to create the diplomatic incident because Terry does it for him. I suppose that Hitler would envy him.

The case of the diplomat that tried to kill Kahlan describes this method very well. We have an embassador or something like this that is trying to kill important people in the place where he has been send to represent his country. This does not make sense, either he is mad (and in this case he does not represent his country when he does this terrible acts or he and his superiors are absolutely stupid, the same results could be achieved by assassins whose alliance could not be traced back to the ambassador.

The final result is that Richard has a very good excuse the demand the surrender of yet another country. Just like Hitler.

Finally. The part about the spirits talking to him in the last QotD is absolutely lame. Any reasonable writer would have made sure that after Richard left the Queen Mother acused him of lies and blasphemy and ordered him to be hunted down and killed.

The day Richard comes up against an intelligent adversary he will be in big trouble. It will be like the scene in Waynes World 2 where Wayne tries the "A sphincter says what?" line only the creepy talent agent dude knows the joke and trumps Wayne making him look childish and dim-witted.

Question: Annerinas: Will you, Mr. TG, actually ever go write a non-fiction book exploring fully your ideals and philosophy, getting it out of your system. So that it's not being presented in the next book at the expense of the actual story?

Answer. Translation: Will you please change that way you think and write, stop using your mind, stop being an individual and instead start writing books like every other hackneyed Tolkien clone on the fantasy shelves. Answer: NO

Query: Does anyone wonder if there was a follow up question that wasn't answered/transcribed? Does no one ever call TG out when he makes a statement like this? "TG, you just contradicted yourself that you don't write fantasy! You earlier stated that you don't wrote it, you've changed the face of it, yet if given an opportunity to write in such a way that you'd get off the fantasy shelves and away from the 'hackneyed clones' you wouldn't do it? Or is it the fact you wouldn't make as much money if you were on the regular literature shelves?"

Man, I'd love to see an interview that actually called him on some of his BS. :sick:

Several mini-quotes from the QoTD:

"Rage surged into him."

"His chest heaved with wrath."

"He loosed the magic within himself."

"Inside, storms of anger thundered though him. "

"Magic burned through him at full fury."

"The force of rage pounded through his veins."

I think that "wrath","rage", "anger" and/or "magic" may be either code-words for black tar heroin, or possibly homoerotic lust. Just replace the words above with either of these, and they make perfect sense.

And now, for a song!

"I gasp

You laugh

We all gasp

When they laugh

The crowds gasped

The men laughed

The chicken gasped

The goat laughed

Shota gasped,

Zedd laughed!

Six gasped,

Kahlan laughed!

I think we heard the whole world laugh,

When Richard molested Gratch! Hey!"

Query: Does anyone wonder if there was a follow up question that wasn't answered/transcribed? Does no one ever call TG out when he makes a statement like this? "TG, you just contradicted yourself that you don't write fantasy! You earlier stated that you don't wrote it, you've changed the face of it, yet if given an opportunity to write in such a way that you'd get off the fantasy shelves and away from the 'hackneyed clones' you wouldn't do it? Or is it the fact you wouldn't make as much money if you were on the regular literature shelves?"

Man, I'd love to see an interview that actually called him on some of his BS. :sick:

I found his comment about how the fans who don't like his later books aren't really fans and actually hate life to be particularly entertaining. He's so... umm... profound. Yeah. And completely willing to engage in an actual debate and stuff.

It would be nice to see an interview where a person could respond to his BS and call him out, yes. Like that essay does. They're really fairly eloquent in their complete destruction of his points. I particularly like how they point out that he knows nothing about any literary terms.

Just how much formal education has TG had, anyway?

Terry Goodkind's education is hard to tell. According to his battleground page in Wikipedia he dropped out of college but anyone could tell us that education does not start neither it ends in college. Thanks to this Terry Goodkind has studied and excelled in several subjects:

1. Carpentry (15 skill ranks, Coffin shaped doors: 16 rank)

2. Marine and Wildlife paintings (10 skill ranks)

3. Fantasy Serious things Writing (5 skill ranks)

4. Formula 1 driving (1 skill rank)

5. Philosophy (Ayn Rand, 6 skill ranks)

As a good powergamer he managed to play very well his defect points to increase his skills.

I swear, Moose...you've gotta do either the scene of Drefan killing a hooker or when Kahlan's brother does...hilarious scenes. Truly

No matter how much you beg, you're still only getting one QotD per day. I'll get to those soon enough.

No matter how much you beg, you're still only getting one QotD per day. I'll get to those soon enough.

Indeed, Moose. You do such a self-sacrificing job already by reading this stuff and then retyping it. I still think it must be pretty damaging to your psyche. Irish whisky, you say? :)

This line kills me: The Queen Mother gasped. The women in black gasped. The crowd gasped.

I cannot believe how fond of rape Terry (BBHN) is. I think he portrayed this character in the epic western Blazing Saddles:

Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?

Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.

Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.

Applicant: I like rape.

This line kills me: The Queen Mother gasped. The women in black gasped. The crowd gasped.

Maybe TG is trying to use repetition as a literary device here. We're drawn into the gasp by its repetition, feeling ourself gasp more each time since it is a mildly onomatopoetic word, thus pulling more fully into the action and allowing us to be drawn into the scene in a more complete way. It immerses the reader in the setting. It is almost as if we're standing there, feeling Richard's rage inside him, feeling his rising thing. Feeling it with all the articulateness of a fifteen-year-old high school student with a thesaurus. Feeling the magic welling inside us, the need to hurt something or someone. The need to hit a target dead-on.

I just think you guys are envious that you didn't write this kind of stunning prose.

I just think you guys are envious that you didn't write this kind of stunning prose.

Its true. Its a brilliant device that he's figured out here. It has so many possibilities.

Jagang unleashed his most horrible weapon, the Brown Noise. Suddenly, Richard shit his pants. Zedd shit his pants. Kahlan made a mad dash to the chamber pot, but quickly shit her travelling pants. Everybody shit their pants.

Its true. Its a brilliant device that he's figured out here. It has so many possibilities.

Jagang unleashed his most horrible weapon, the Brown Noise. Suddenly, Richard shit his pants. Zedd shit his pants. Kahlan made a mad dash to the chamber pot, but quickly shit her travelling pants. Everybody shit their pants.

Wait one chicken-cackling moment. They wear other kinds of clothing besides war wizard outfits and travelling pants?

(I don't think I missed this anywhere upthread)

:rofl:

MinDonner won the Phantom contest over at Pat's Hotlist!

:rofl:

:wideeyed:

MinDonner winning that copy of PHANTOM was ironic, to say the least! :P

You can imagine my surprise when I opened up the winning email, only to realize who had won the prize! Sometimes fate works in mysterious ways. . . :D

Patrick

Pat, you are one sick cookie. Maybe Mystar was right all along... ;)

I love these threads. I truly do.

I think your title would benefit from a removal of the definite article, though, Wert. THE lemming of discord sounds awfully, I don't know, unique and individualistic?

Correct. But I am unique and individualisticismic. I take my custom title from TRUTH, TRUTH that cannot be denied by etc etc etc etc blah blah which is why the US government should ban pudding blah blah blah the Netherlands is a repressive police state where ducks have been placed in concetration camps blah blah blah...

Also, someone has reopened the briefly resolved conflict. For the love of God!

Archived