[Book Spoilers] Is anyone recording reactions for the duel aftermath?

The Unsullied hubby was frantic for Tyrion...can't imagine how he'll be "saved" now---damn, these season-ending eps force me to bite my tongue til it bleeds!! And this after congratulating me for making him watch the show all these years, just to see a fabulous Sansa-payoff finally!

My family went apeshit

I think my dad was having PTSD or something because he just kept repeating, "But...he was winning, why did he die?" for 15 minutes straight

My mom was like, "tell me his fucking family is going to avenge him. Tell me!", and I was like, "yeah, yeah, sure!" and inside I was thinking "don't

hold your breath"

As a reader, the duel shocked me far more than Ned's death, the Red Wedding, or the Purple Wedding. And even watching the episode now knowing perfectly well what would happen, my jaw dropped a bit at how horrific it was. I can only imagine what some of the reactions will be like from viewers who didn't know the outcome.

As a reader, the duel shocked me far more than Ned's death, the Red Wedding, or the Purple Wedding. And even watching the episode now knowing perfectly well what would happen, my jaw dropped a bit at how horrific it was. I can only imagine what some of the reactions will be like from viewers who didn't know the outcome.

Yes it was horrible...

Honestly dunno if its just cause im ill atm - but i actually feel quite sick.

Its something about the eyes that make me gag

I hear ya. I actually looked away as soon as Oberyn hit the ground but the sounds... oh gods... and then I looked again when I fought it was over only to get a nice aerial shot of head-squashed Oberyn... *ugh*

i knew it was coming, i thought i was ready for it… i was wrong. it still got me. man that was baaad. i was shaken for about 15 minutes afterwards. even harder to watch the second time.

totally awesome though...

I don't even want to think about watching this for a second time. :ack: Don't get me wrong: it was a very good fight scene, but still... :ack:

My sister is in love with him and thinks he will find Dany and take back the iron throne. She thinks he will kill the mountain and accuse Tywin and Cercei of Joffrey's murder because she thinks they killed him to get Tommen on the throne because he's easier to manipulate. I feel sad for her. She has this whole scenario of Tyrion racing to get Dany and coming back with Dragons to kill Littlefinger and save Sansa from molestation. And somehow she thinks Arya is going to join the Nights Watch and become Lord Commander while Rickon becomes King of the Wildlings. I have no idea how any of this makes sense, but i will be calling her in a few hours to listen to her cry about the love of her life getting his face crushed.

She thinks Bran will turn out to be a wizard and that Sam will kill his father somehow and give Gilly his Castle. I tell her to write fanfiction, because i want to read the one about Sam killing his father in single combat.

Your sister must be adorable.

I don't know how many of you are also Walking Dead fans, but after 4 seasons of that, you'd THINK I would be really kinda desensitized to all the gory disgusting SOUNDS human heads make when they are gored, crushed, chopped, poked and stabbed. But no. NO. Nothing prepared me for that scene not even having read it and knowing it was coming. I can't imagine what all the unsullied Oberyn fans must have done. I would love to see some video reactions. I am sure it still wan't quite the dramatic freak out we saw with the Red Wedding but man, there's still some good reactions there even from us book fans! I'm still in shock. I think I'll go back to watching weeks of walker heads being smashed instead. :(

My sister is in love with him and thinks he will find Dany and take back the iron throne. She thinks he will kill the mountain and accuse Tywin and Cercei of Joffrey's murder because she thinks they killed him to get Tommen on the throne because he's easier to manipulate. I feel sad for her. She has this whole scenario of Tyrion racing to get Dany and coming back with Dragons to kill Littlefinger and save Sansa from molestation. And somehow she thinks Arya is going to join the Nights Watch and become Lord Commander while Rickon becomes King of the Wildlings. I have no idea how any of this makes sense, but i will be calling her in a few hours to listen to her cry about the love of her life getting his face crushed.

She thinks Bran will turn out to be a wizard and that Sam will kill his father somehow and give Gilly his Castle. I tell her to write fanfiction, because i want to read the one about Sam killing his father in single combat.

Haha that's actually pretty awesome. She has some very interesting ideas, too bad some dreams must be shattered. ;)

To be honest, I was not happy when Oberyn met his fate in the books, however I was even more disgusted with it on the show, it was too gruesome to say the least. The fight scene was amazing, until the Mountain snatched Oberyn up, I certainly will never watch that scene again. On another note, my unsullied husband was quite irritated with Oberyn dying, he wanted justice for Oberyn (I did too) and then he said he wanted to know what the hell was to happen with Tyrion because he was getting sick of it. I don't really blame him, all the killing off of the best characters gets rather annoying, I told him to just wait until the last episode and we will both see if they (HBO) can make it worth it. I guess we will see...

I was also one of those people who knew what was coming and thought I was ready...I was not ready at all. I wish someone had recorded me. I screamed and covered my eyes. I didn't even hear Ellaria scream...all I heard was the squishing and poping noise (which caused me to squeak and scream more). This was way worse that the Red or Purple wedding for me. I'm usually fine with gore, but this one really got me.

They really should not run episodes like this one on sunday nights. It makes my monday even worse.

Didn't record, but I've had two weeks of my Unsullied friends constantly asking me, "Does Oberyn kill the Mountain? He's gotta kill the Mountain, right? He can't die cause then Tyrion is screwed!" So, Oberyn wins, right?" On, and on, it went, up until the episode finally started and we had silence in the realm that is my buddy's living room. Watching that scene, and hearing them root for Oberyn each time he dodged a slash, and landed a hit on the Mountain with that fancy spear, the "yes'!', and 'nice's! they would utter couldn't help but bring a smirk to my face, knowing the Viper wasn't long for Westeros. And when the Mountain finally, and gruesomely, ended that duel, I asked them all if that answered their question as to who wins.

Seriously, you don't bet against the 7'11'' guy clad in full plate that uses a two handed greatsword one handed.

Now a week of "But what's going to happen to Tyrion!?" followed by replies of, "Well, put down Facebook and pick up a real book."

Not that I'm not used to that question by now.

Wanted to also say, like most book readers, I've been anticipating AND dreading this scene since the title of this episode was released. There really is nothing you can do to prepare yourself to watch someone be killed in the most brutal way possible. Ellaria Sand/Indira Varma's blood curdling scream says it all.

Once you see it, you can't un-see it!

For those saying that the audience probably wouldn't be as "shocked" with the scene as with the RW....

I don't know, but I must say that when I read aSoS 9 years ago, I was far more thrown back in a "holy shit" moment with the Mountain and Viper fight than with the Red Wedding. And it's not that I was more invested or anything; I wasn't all that invested in Oberyn at all, and Gregor hardly had any scenes anyway. It's just that, stand-alone, the way that entire scene was written was absolutely brilliant and magnificent. In just a couple of pages, I went from not knowing Oberyn that well to being completely invested in his cause, even forgetting about Tyrion for a bit (well, until Tyrion reminds us of his presence when Oberyn says "confess your crime, confess your crime", and Tyrion was whispering another chant, "fall down and die, fall down and die", lol).

The thing is, that could have just been a short story on its own, and it still would have been brilliant. In a quick stroke, he takes us from wondering about the fight, to being completely invested in Oberyn and his cause and enjoying the results, to being stupefied and horrified. Compare that with the Red Wedding, where we simply go from reading a boring scene we don't care about all that much to being stupefied and horrified. Maybe with the baggage that came before, the Red Wedding gets more impact, but as a stand-alone scene, the Viper vs Mountain fight was more powerful and more shocking by far, IMO.

Archived