Is AFFC too pious/religious?

gershmonster

Hi everyone

So I am quite past half way in A Feast for Crows and I have realised that so many of the chapters are revolved around a person being extremely religious and pious with the Seven Gods of Westeros. At first it was interesting but now it has become extremely repetitive and very boring.

Does anyone else share my expressions and views towards this book?

Welcome to the forums :cheers:

Religion is deliberately meant to be a huge theme of A Feast for Crows. The Sparrows and the Faith of the Seven become very important in this book, and as of the fifth and sixth books, they are still very important (although they aren't featured much in Dance). The Faith of the Seven and the rise of the Sparrows give us an insight into the lives and plights of the common people, and how they find justice and acceptance in religion, as opposed to their cruel lords and kings. The High Sparrow becomes a very important character (you'll see how soon). Don't worry, some really exciting and interesting things happen at the end of the book regarding the Faith of the Seven.

Don't worry, some really exciting and interesting things happen at the end of the book regarding the Faith of the Seven.

hello! first post, score!

I certainly hope so, I want to see how the other religions are rewarded. To me, it seems so far, that those who follow the light and r'hllor are the ones only rewarded for their faith and the other religions followers are only rewarded with their faiths honorable deaths. (asides from the ones sacrificed to r'hllor)

So I am quite past half way in A Feast for Crows and I have realised that so many of the chapters are revolved around a person being extremely religious and pious with the Seven Gods of Westeros. At first it was interesting but now it has become extremely repetitive and very boring.

Does anyone else share my expressions and views towards this book?

Yes. However, this is a fantasy adaptation of medieval European society. If anything, I figure the Faith and religion were underplayed in the first few books. And as others mention, it is setting you up for later events.

Personally, I loved the Quiet Isle but don't much care for the High Septon/Great Sept of Baelor part of the story. However, that is my particular preference (preferring the country to the capital). I suppose the majority of readers would flip that preference. They prefer the papacy to the church in society.

I personally thought the exploration of the religious orders (not so much the actual faith, but the people who practice the faith) was one of the strongest aspects of AFFC, specifically the 7 Gods of Westeros. You've got the Head Sparrow up in King's Landing basically beginning the modern Westeros version of the Spanish Inquisition showing the negative aspects of organized religion. Then you've got the priest who wanders traveling w/ Brienne and Pod showing how religion and religious leaders can help bring hope and stability, to a degree, to the poor and war torn.

I'm hoping that the religious fevor, combined with the eventual coming of the Others, will set Westeros up for a long, dark winter of paranoia. The presence of religion feels quite natural. In the case of the High Sparrow, it is a natural response to the lords and would-be kings playing the game without much care for the common folk. Aeron, on the other hand, seems to be using it as something of a balm and a weapon: healing from whatever Euron did to him, and as a tool for keeping that from happening again.

Archived