(Spoilers) The History of the Westerlands

A lot of things will be revealed in a very short time. This is really a hell of ride. And, no, I didn't just went back in time, traveled 3,000 miles or so to attend the reading.

Lord Varys has his little birds.

Or, rather, he had a look on the best notes from a GRRM reading up to this point! ALL HAIL HISTORYOFWESTEROS AND ASHAYATARA! They really made it for all of us! Stay tuned, they should give you all really great news soon!

One great detail was about the second Tyrion Lannister, one of the kings before the Conquest. He was one of the bad kings, who only lusted after a woman after he made her bleed. He was the tormenter, the torturer. GRRM does mention that once one of those Lannister names gets associated with a bad ruler, the name stops being reused in later generations.

Cersei's response to Bronn naming Lollys's son Tyrion looks somewhat different in light of this info:

“Tyrion was a king’s name before the dragons came. The Imp has despoiled it, but perhaps this child can restore the name to honor.”

Cersei's either being pretty shameless or she really doesn't know her history. I'm not sure which is more likely here, given how often AFFC highlights both her shamelessness and her ignorance of history.

The Reynes went into the mines under their castle.

because they were convinced that they could hide away in their underground fortress for three years of a siege.

Did this reading indicate that the Reynes had a castle above (in addition to) their fortress in the mines? I ask because

it's been indicated elsewhere that Castamere was subterranean

, and if there was no castle above the mines---i.e., the mines were "Castamere"---then it puts a very different spin on Ser Rolph Spicer's "reward":

“This grants Ser Rolph Spicer title to the castle Castamere and raises him to the rank of lord.”

People have been wondering for a while why Tywin would give away Castamere rather than letting it sit in ruins for all time as a symbol of his wrath. If Castamere is entirely underground, and Tywin diverted a river to flood it, then all Tywin really gave Ser Rolph Spicer was an empty title. He got the "castle", but no lands or incomes, and a flooded subterranean castle (that's probably still full of water, and is undeniably still full of corpses (given that the doors were never opened)), is pretty worthless. But the analysis is rather different if there was a standard castle above the underground fortress as well, which is why I'm curious.

Stay tuned, they should give you all really great news soon!

please we r all wagging our tails and staring at the screen waiting for these details. give us a set time for when these notes will be unleashed.

Well, Aziz wants to watch the next GoT episode in an hour, and they are still polishing them, so I'd estimate in a few hours.

And, to make things even more interesting, if I'm not mistaken then the 'surprising Lannister ancestor' may be hiding in plain sight...

Well, Aziz wants to watch the next GoT episode in an hour, and they are still polishing them, so I'd estimate in a few hours.

And, to make things even more interesting, if I'm not mistaken then the 'surprising Lannister ancestor' may hiding in plain sight...

Oh, you are such a tease. No fair.

Well, okay, I'm not Ran. And Aziz didn't catch that one, so I think I'm free to tell you:

Gerold Lannister's beloved second wife name was Rohanne. You don't need to know more than that...

Also to hit you all in the face: Aerys knighted Tywin. On the Stepstones. Yes, Aerys fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings.

Aerys fighting? Well, but he was there, wasn't he?

But, yeah, knighting doesn't involve being marital, so he probably just hang out on a litter...

Oh, and Ran, since you are there:

1. Any explanation for the discrepancy between Ellyn Tarbeck being crushed beneath her Hall ('Tywin smiled when her the Hall crushed her' from AFfC, or something like that) and the fact that she was hanged?

2. Bloodraven presiding over the Great Council is really at odds with Aemon claiming Egg sent him to the Wall. This looks more like a prepared deal, Bloodraven presiding, and then taking the Black after a king has been chosen, rather than Egg sending/forcing him to the Wall. If that was the case, it could have been a risk. After all, the Great Council could have chosen Bloodraven.

Well, okay, I'm not Ran. And Aziz didn't catch that one, so I think I'm free to tell you:

Gerold Lannister's beloved second wife name was Rohanne. You don't need to know more than that...

Lol, so first she married a chequy lion, and then a golden one?

Wow, how many times was she married, six?

ETA: The reason she would not marry him in the Sworn Sword was because she didn't want to move to Casterly Rock and give up Coldmoat, right? So what changed? I can't remember the terms of her father's will, but did she lose it when Eustace died?

I feel like I missed something with the whole secret Lannister relative thing. Haha

If not just a reuse of the name, the surprising Lannister ancestor is Rohanne Webber.

She was in the Sworn Sword, and Dunk had the hots for her. She was called the Red Widow for all the husbands who had died after marrying her.

ETA: Gerold Lannister was also one of her suitors in the novella, but I think neither one wanted to move to where the other one was living? I can't remember. So obviously, one of them changed their mind eventually.

ETA: Gerold Lannister was also one of her suitors in the novella, but I think neither one wanted to move to where the other one was living? I can't remember. So obviously, one of them changed their mind eventually.

This is what we get in TSS:

“Were I given to wagering, I should place my gold on Gerold Lannister. He has yet to put in an appearance, but they say he is golden-haired and quick of wit, and more than six feet tall . . .”

“. . . and Lady Webber is much taken with his letters.” The lady in question stood in the doorway, beside a homely young maester with a great hooked nose. “You would lose your wager, good-brother. Gerold will never willingly forsake the pleasures of Lannisport and the splendor of Casterly Rock for some little lordship. He has more influence as Lord Tybolt’s brother and adviser than he could ever hope for as my husband.

When Rohanne married Eustace, Tybolt was still Lord of Casterly Rock. When Gerold became Lord of Casterly Rock later on, the whole situation changed.

Archived