[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

yeah, i like the grey worm, missandrei storyline, i like that she's not another savant genius child but an adult, but THIS was not the episode for a long drawn out segment.

We are on the same page. :cheers:

And all this time I've been worried that the aged up Missandei and her boobage was for more Dany scenes.

You people are a bunch of whiney bitches.

The beetle speech is a reference to common people and how Tyrion knows the past follies of rulers and cruelty to common people, and he has learned to be better hence not squashing the beetle. It's all a lead into his future role as Dany's future Hand of the Queen.

For all the haters: Try and write yourself, sense you are all experts. I bet it will be crap, unless you plagiarize Martin's words.

Wait, where is Sansa supposed to have even got that outfit from?? Did Lysa just have it lying around? Did someone make it for her???

I'm guessing Little Bird went and massacred all the ravens in the Eyrie? LOL and RME

The beetle speech is a reference to common people and how Tyrion knows the past follies of rulers and cruelty to common people, and he has learned to be better hence not squashing the beetle. It's all a lead into his future role as Dany's future Hand of the Queen.

For all the haters: Try and write yourself, sense you are all experts. I bet it will be crap, unless you plagiarize Martin's words.

LOL.

If you are not trolling, it's just sad.

Well, hello to you, too. RME

There is a difference between nitpicking and being a 'hater,' ya know?

I'm guessing Little Bird went and massacred all the ravens in the Eyrie? LOL and RME

That was SO CRAZY. I mean, really? Maleficient Sansa? Why?

Oh right, because D&D hate to be subtle...so Femme Fatale...look, she's all in black, has a plunging neckline, feathers and a statement necklace....Femme Fatale. Jesus.

That speech was not about that you stupid nitwit, just go back one page and you'll find the right explanation. The beetle speech (very poorly) evoked:

The futility of the search for meaning.

You do know they have the right to use Martin's words right? Pretty much every great speech/monolgue/talk this show had was a slightly tweaked version of Martin's sourcematerial (e.g. Jaime in the bathtub)

My nitpick is that a lot of the time D&D try that, writing something themselves, it's a bit clunky, takes too much time, and there's usually something from the book that would have been better. Like........letting Oberyn and Tyrion (and Jaime, too, if we had to have some beetle) have a bit of the talk about Elia, Cersei, and Rhaegar, it would have been good for the show. It would have explained why The Red Viper was certain that Tywin issued the orders to have Elia slaughtered, just as he did with the Reynes and Castameres.

You do know they have the right to use Martin's words right? Pretty much every great speech/monolgue/talk this show had was a slightly tweaked version of Martin's sourcematerial (e.g. Jaime in the bathtub)

If only D&D "plagiarized" more often

David Segal

Tywin sent the letter: Hello! "Mace, get me a quill and paper."

Its purpose is to rid Dany of one of her two wise and experienced soldiers, as told by Varys. Tywin doesn't worry about Selmy because he's old.

Varys ends up weakening Dany's campaign with nothing but words, knowing Tywin will do something pragmatic.

Lol I've watched a lot of TV and I can safely say that monologue was one of the worst scenes I've ever witnessed.

And I'm sorry but why are you using the word "plagiarize"? This show is an adaptation of ASOIAF. If D&D were competent, they would take as much dialogue from the books as possible - it takes a lot of talent to be able to translate dialogue from book to screen successfully. There are pretty much two main reasons they don't use more book dialogue: they've weakened the characterisation of the characters so much that a lot of it wouldn't make sense, and because of their arrogance. They think their writing is on-par with GRRM's. Unfortunately for us, they couldn't be more wrong.

This is really silly, but why does Roose now have a weird grey beard? He looks much more badass clean shaven like he was in the beginning.

I know, I want my Roose shaved, dammit. I can understand the side-eye that he gave to Ramsey letting Reek shave him, but surely....Roose COULD do it himself, couldn't he?

I know, I want my Roose shaved, dammit. I can understand the side-eye that he gave to Ramsey letting Reek shave him, but surely....Roose COULD do it himself, couldn't he?

It just annoys me, maybe the TV only viewers couldn't tell him apart from the rest of the guys with brown hair in dark armour or something, but I find it hugely distracting for some reason.

I am glad that Batman has toned down his Batvoice though.

Do any of you watch Vikings? It's this show that, while not especially well written or anything, is very self aware. So it doesn't try too hard to be profound or anything. For that, I really enjoy it. Everything fits the tone, and it's really exciting to watch. But that's not why I bring it up. There was one scene in particular where the main character, Ragnar Lothbrok, and his vikings are raiding a town in England (which involves a lot of indiscriminate slaughter). At that point the show was trying to sell us the idea that Ragnar had some compassion. While he and his comrades were looking for treasure in a little house, Ragnar spies a little English child hiding in a corner. He looks back, looks at the child, and then puts a cloth on top of him and walks away. That's all the show needed to tell us.

But with the modern GoT Dawson's Creek style writing, of course that's not enough for us, the plebeian audience. They have to make sure that we know what's going on. Instead of simply having her close the curtain and walking away, allowing us to digest the incredibly obvious fact that she's acting from compassion rather than simply being too bored to deal with Gilly, they have to give us that little shot of her saying "shh" and putting her finger over her mouth, so that Ygritte and Gilly can clue us in on their little secret. Of course these writers have to go that extra mile for those of us in the audience whom they perceive to be absolutely fucking retarded and in need of every non-subtle explicit explanation of what's happening.

I know this is a small deal, but it's just one of the many stupid displays of zero subtlety in the GoT writing that made me want to throw a boot at the TV screen.

Archived