[BOOK SPOILERS] Missandei and Grey Worm

Anyone else not feeling this storyline? I feel like they could have cut this and had maybe a non-brothel scene with Oberyn before his duel. I mean, he's an Unsullied for crying out loud. Why? Filler?

Not filler, drama.

Essentially, the "doomed couple," or at last the forbidden couple, is one of the oldest ways to create emotional tension in literature and stage.

In Arabian Nights, he was burned by a past romance and vowed to never love again. With Romeo and Juliet, its because they belong to two houses at war with each other. In The Scarlet Letter, she is already married and he's a preacher. Pride and Prejudice has a relationship form against class lines.

Daytime soap operas LIVE off of love relationship that aren't allowed to form. This is nothing new, except the barriers are physical instead of social or emotional.

I think the show writers thought it a way to give two characters lines and an emotional empathy with the audience. It doesn't work for me.

I hated it. Boring and out of character for both Missandei and Grey Worm. And for Dany, for that matter.

I suspect it was mostly included for a bit of romance as a counterpoint to the brutality and intensity, not only of the episode, but of the whole series in general.

All I can think is that it might be part of an "even a eunuch needs a cuddle now and then" plotline in Meereen, which may be important to the future story somehow.

I think it's a replacement for the "eunuch cuddle" plotline as well but I also think it's a way of having a little bit more screen time for some black actors.

There aren't many black actors in the show simply because most of the story is based in a large "European" continent. I've seen video comments loving seeing Salladhor Saan briefly in this season because they're glad to see a black face in a cast that's predominately lighter. I'm personally happy that the book and show have a good mix of men and women in it so I can understand that some black people would like to see people of their color represented too.

It's hard to add in black people to the storyline because of where it's set so a small subplot of Missandei and Grey Worm seems a good opportunity to do this. Perhaps a scene...a silent and poignant one of them hugging tightly would be good?

I hated it. Boring and out of character for both Missandei and Grey Worm.

It's been building up in their previous scenes this season, so how is it out of character?

Really it's no different really to say the Sam-Gilly love arc (which I know some do find boring too, but about similar relevance to the wider story).

Anyway, I like it, it's a interesting new PoV, and one of the criticisms of the books has always been that there weren't enough insights into the affairs of the lowborn caught up in the Game of Thrones - it's nice to see the perspective from the angle of the (ex-)slaves.

It's been building up in their previous scenes this season, so how is it out of character?

Really it's no different really to say the Sam-Gilly love arc (which I know some do find boring too, but about similar relevance to the wider story).

Anyway, I like it, it's a interesting new PoV, and one of the criticisms of the books has always been that there weren't enough insights into the affairs of the lowborn caught up in the Game of Thrones - it's nice to see the perspective from the angle of the (ex-)slaves.

Meaning, Missandei is ten years old in the books, and Grey Worm is a eunuch trained to be ruthless and detached. Sam and Gilly actually do have a romantic arc in the books.

Your point is well-made, however. We'll see where the show takes it. Like I said, it may be to fulfill the "eunuchs need cuddling" arc without introducing a dozen other characters.

Meaning, Missandei is ten years old in the books, and Grey Worm is a eunuch trained to be ruthless and detached.

The initial reason I hated it as well, but then I remembered I'm supposed to love the books and show separately. Unless the future of Meereen, the Unsullied soldiers or something as yet unrevealed hinges on the budding romance between Grey Work and Missendei, this is just boring tripe. I love the book and show versions of both characters, but wish D&D would have given more time to Oberyn's preparation for the duel.

Well the various non book readers think its really cute...........so this may be a case of bookreaders letting the book prevent them from enjoying the show.

As for me its not great drama but I like wondering exactly what are they building to ?

Every moment Grey Worm has is amazing on the show. I love how he's not upset about his mutilation because being Unsullied allows him to work for Dany. The actor is killing it, just like his scene where he says Grey Worm is a lucky name because it's the name he had when Dany freed him. It's a reminder of the good things Dany has done at a time when her character is starting to suffer.

I thought I would hate it when I heard about it on the boards but upon watching I didn't mind so much. I like both book Grey Work and Book Missandei and would have preferred to keep them that way in the show but I thought the scene was very well acted. Not sure of it's ultimate purpose -- to create another "ship" between two attractive actors? to show that unsullied need love too? :dunno:

Well the various non book readers think its really cute...........so this may be a case of bookreaders letting the book prevent them from enjoying the show.

As for me its not great drama but I like wondering exactly what are they building to ?

I think it is more a matter of certain people, predominately men and including me, not liking "drama" romance plots in almost any media.

I hate most show only things. But I don't mind this at all. I think the relationship between an eunuch and a woman is quite interesting.

Besides, Meereen scenes which don't involve Clarke are welcome.

I really liked it, I found it was very touching.

I also think it might be instead of the "eunuch cuddle" but i don't want grey worm to die!!

Every moment Grey Worm has is amazing on the show. I love how he's not upset about his mutilation because being Unsullied allows him to work for Dany. The actor is killing it, just like his scene where he says Grey Worm is a lucky name because it's the name he had when Dany freed him. It's a reminder of the good things Dany has done at a time when her character is starting to suffer.

Probably so. Another way of looking at it is that there are many sides to a human being, to show that slaves are human beings, and given enough time, even a eunuch can find true love if he found a woman willing to accept his limitations. Just something to add a little romance to a story arc that has so far been filled with war, battles, and blood. It softens the story arc just a little bit.

I thought it was very cute and touching. The actors are very talented too so it helped a lot, Nathalie Emmanuel's several shades of emotions showing on screen was very well done on her part.

And also, this is somehing that the audience needs: to be reminded that love still exists and eunuchs also feel it because they're simply human.

And Missandei was very mature, speaking her mind. They were so frank to each other which is another break from all those liars back at King's landing

I didn't like the relationship at first, just because it is such a big character deviation from the books. But it adds a bit of flesh to the Meereen storyline which is otherwise just going to be Dany failing at politics all next season. And I like the actors - I'm okay with them getting more screentime.

That, I think, is lame.

Maybe they just want to put some love story to impress women viewers.

It's a generalization, that forgets that the mentioned majority of women who wants sappy love stories doesn't watch GoT in the first place.

It's quite insulting. After all the disproportional t&a and sexual violence, that the show pretends to throw a bone to the female audience, by inserting lame love stories that deteriorates the character and the plots. (i.e. Robb)

What impresses the women viewers of GoT is independent female characters that aren't just someone's love interest.

Strangely as soon as the show writers put Missandrei into a romance, she morphs from cultured translator into dumbed down girl (she should perfectly know all details about the unsullied).

Though my quirk with Mis/GW is Grey Worm's part: he is the leader of the unsullied, and, as defined by their training, he should be one of the most seasoned and focussed.

It's a generalization, that forgets that the mentioned majority of women who wants sappy love stories doesn't watch GoT in the first place.

It's quite insulting. After all the disproportional t&a and sexual violence, that the show pretends to throw a bone to the female audience, by inserting lame love stories that deteriorates the character and the plots. (i.e. Robb)

What impresses the women viewers of GoT is independent female characters that aren't just someone's love interest.

Strangely as soon as the show writers put Missandrei into a romance, she morphs from cultured translator into dumbed down girl (she should perfectly know all details about the unsullied).

Though my quirk with Mis/GW is Grey Worm's part: he is the leader of the unsullied, and, as defined by their training, he should be one of the most seasoned and focussed.

Well said.

Archived