[BOOK SPOILERS] Missandei and Grey Worm

While I would have rather seen more prelude to the duel, their interactions were well done. What I hope isn't done is that it gets revealed that GreyWorm was never cut.

Anyone else not feeling this storyline? I feel like they could have cut this and had maybe a non-brothel scene with Oberyn before his duel. I mean, he's an Unsullied for crying out loud. Why? Filler?

This storyline humanizes the unsullied for viewers. GRRM had them visit brothels just to cuddle. Certainly Missandei is a suitable alternative.

This storyline humanizes the unsullied for viewers. GRRM had them visit brothels just to cuddle. Certainly Missandei is a suitable alternative.

Yeah, but in the book it took only one or two sentences (if I remember correctly), opposed to the show's multiple extended scenes...

I don't mind the idea of the story, but I didn't like the scene with Dany (shouldn't Missandei know whether they remove "the pillar and the stones"?), and I didn't like the last two lines between Missandei and Grey Worm:

"I'm glad you saw me." -- Um, okay? Because you need to see my naked body in order for us to express any sort of affection.

"So am I" -- Huh? He was just apologizing. Now he's saying he's glad he did it anyway!

Ive said it over and over. Unsullied do not cry while talking about their life before unsullied. Unsullied do not get distracted by emotions. Unsullied do not fall into a dramatic lovestory with pretty girls. They were raised to kill babies infront of the mothers and fed drugs for years to kill their pain receptors or something ffs, they are basically the closest thing to an actual machine in westeros. The whole point of unsullied is they are just a block of soldiers that do nothing except what you tell them to, I always imagined Dany having to tell them 3 times a day "you have to eat food now." Or "Go relieve yourselves in the bushes", "Its bedtime. Unsullied must go to sleep for 8 hours."

All that being said, I do understand why they are doing this for television, and I can understand how it could work for some people. I however find this to be perhaps one of the top 5 worst original tv subplots yet.

Ive said it over and over. Unsullied do not cry while talking about their life before unsullied. Unsullied do not get distracted by emotions. Unsullied do not fall into a dramatic lovestory with pretty girls. They were raised to kill babies infront of the mothers and fed drugs for years to kill their pain receptors or something ffs, they are basically the closest thing to an actual machine in westeros. The whole point of unsullied is they are just a block of soldiers that do nothing except what you tell them to, I always imagined Dany having to tell them 3 times a day "you have to eat food now." Or "Go relieve yourselves in the bushes", "Its bedtime. Unsullied must go to sleep for 8 hours."

All that being said, I do understand why they are doing this for television, and I can understand how it could work for some people. I however find this to be perhaps one of the top 5 worst original tv subplots yet.

I think you completely missed that in Mereen the Unsullied are become less robotic and more human. I doubt they are still taking what ever drugs they had and they are definitely softening if theyre going to brothels for hugs.

As posted above, this storyline is just a sappy love plot they felt the obligation to through in. I think the show is setting up Grey Worm's death. When yunkai comes dany will give up hostages and those that aren't hizdar's family will most likely be filled with characters we know on the show. I don't remeber seeing groleo, and maybe heero will appear but since the show is deviating from the book they might add in some of the known characters for added suspense.

The unsullied cuddling in the brothel always struck a cord with me, I found it profoundly moving. Sorry some of you would rather just see more blood and guts. Obviously, TV as a medium, is fundamentally different from novels. They need stuff happening in meereen other than dany and her thoughts.

The unsullied cuddling in the brothel always struck a cord with me, I found it profoundly moving. Sorry some of you would rather just see more blood and guts. Obviously, TV as a medium, is fundamentally different from novels. They need stuff happening in meereen other than dany and her thoughts.

Just because some people don't like cheesy nonsensical love stories doesn't necessarily mean that they would "rather see more blood and guts."

My first thought was the "eunoch cuddle" storyline, but increasingly I think it was just a case of finding a replacement set of boobies now that Emilia Clarke has gone all mainstream and nudity shy.

This. Emelia Clarke best scenes have been nude and now she won't do them. Not smart.

Just because some people don't like cheesy nonsensical love stories doesn't necessarily mean that they would "rather see more blood and guts."

I don't think they're FANTASTIC scenes but just nice and interesting enough to give us SOMETHING in the Mereen scenes for now.

its cheesy but its not nonsensical. Both Missandei and GW are really good looking people.

Not filler, drama.

Essentially, the "doomed couple," or at last the forbidden couple, is one of the oldest ways to create emotional tension in literature and stage.

In Arabian Nights, he was burned by a past romance and vowed to never love again. With Romeo and Juliet, its because they belong to two houses at war with each other. In The Scarlet Letter, she is already married and he's a preacher. Pride and Prejudice has a relationship form against class lines.

Daytime soap operas LIVE off of love relationship that aren't allowed to form. This is nothing new, except the barriers are physical instead of social or emotional.

I think the show writers thought it a way to give two characters lines and an emotional empathy with the audience. It doesn't work for me.

Every moment Grey Worm has is amazing on the show. I love how he's not upset about his mutilation because being Unsullied allows him to work for Dany. The actor is killing it, just like his scene where he says Grey Worm is a lucky name because it's the name he had when Dany freed him. It's a reminder of the good things Dany has done at a time when her character is starting to suffer.

For me, IT'S WORKING.

I think it shows the real effect of Dany as Breaker of Chains. These people who were formerly enslaved have fuller lives because of her actions. She's not just hanging out in Essos waiting for her dragons to grow up.

Plus, both the actors are totally hot and have super chemistry. I almost thought D&D had been reading the boards and decided to give the people who find Dany tedious something to focus on. For me, again. It's really working. I LOVE the scenes between Missandei and Grey Worm.

Archived