[Book Spoilers] The Pardon

Actually, I think the real story is Dany most of all hated knowing Jorah loved her. That was the real friendship-poison, and this is a handy excuse to get rid of him.

I'm not 100% sold on this. She's deeply conflicted in the books. It's clear that she loves Jorah, it's just not the same kind of love he has for her - it's love without the desire, if you like. She thinks of him as her bear, and she does entertain the idea of that kind of relationship with him (though ultimately concludes that she doesn't want it.)

Assuming Jorah never tried to put the moves on her again, I think Dany might have been fine with keeping things as they were. This goes double for the show, where Jorah's never actually made a move on her.

I'm not 100% sold on this. She's deeply conflicted in the books. It's clear that she loves Jorah, it's just not the same kind of love he has for her - it's love without the desire, if you like. She thinks of him as her bear, and she does entertain the idea of that kind of relationship with him (though ultimately concludes that she doesn't want it.)

Assuming Jorah never tried to put the moves on her again, I think Dany might have been fine with keeping things as they were. This goes double for the show, where Jorah's never actually made a move on her.

Agreed. I think if it had been almost anyone else, she would have had him killed. Jorah she sent away instead, perhaps to allow the possibility of a reconciliation in the future.

Can someone help me understand Jorah's pardon? Wasn't he already pardoned back in Season 1 just before the wine merchant's attempt on Dany's life? So my questions are:

1) Was he being pardoned for a second time and, if so, what where his crimes subsequent to the first pardon?

2) Does the Hand even have the authority to issue a royal pardon?

3) If this recent pardon was simply a reissuance of the original pardon-

a] How did Tywin even know about the original pardon?

b] Since the original pardon produced no effect whatsoever, what possibly expectation would he have for reissuing it?

4) Why does Dany care so much about an alleged betrayal which occurred years ago and basically had no ramifications?

5) Were her marriage and pregnancy supposed to be secrets? (if so, the big wedding ceremony was a pretty stupid idea...)

6) Doesn't the fact that Jorah was pardoned many years ago and still chose to remain by Dany's side speak to his devotion to her?

Tywin resent the pardon in order to separate Dany from at least one of her seasoned battle commanders. It happened when Tywin tells Mace to fetch his quill during the council meeting.

He wasn't pardoned for a second time. His original crimes were selling people into slavery to appease his wife and he brought shame upon his house-hence Mormont Sr. Gives the family sword to Jon Snow. He did betray her and decided to save her from the poisoned wine after he had started falling for her. This was a huge betrayal.

Archived