[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity: part 2

I aint gonna bother mentioning Beetles or LF's newfound idiocy but:

1) Where is the Shaveplate? Seriously how can you introduce him next season after Dany's been in Mereen for so long. If he's cut, why? I mean he is a seriously colourful character who will freshen up Dany's scenes. At the moment they are a handful of dull peops hanging around a temple. No culture of Mereen no learning or enaging with the populace, introducing the Shaveplate & his troops will be a great way of adding depth that simply isn't there at the moment.

2) As mentioned the watch have 100 odd against 100,000, it's just treating the audience like babies that don't understand against the odds unless its crazy odds.

3) Sansa's speech went on for way too long telling us things we already know before she got onto the crux of it. That could have been handled so much better and shorter to give us more time with the Mountain & the Viper who the episode should all of been about.

We needed:

- Tywin's reaction to Red Viper being named as champion. Tywin maybe stating how they lose either way, no one punished for Joff's murder or a dead Prince of Dorne. Poss include Cersei's reaction

- Oberyn mentioning the Cersei - Ellaria marriage situation adding a bit more venom against Tywin, maybe mention the Myrcella plan.

I aint gonna bother mentioning Beetles or LF's newfound idiocy but:

1) Where is the Shaveplate? Seriously how can you introduce him next season after Dany's been in Mereen for so long. If he's cut, why? I mean he is a seriously colourful character who will freshen up Dany's scenes. At the moment they are a handful of dull peops hanging around a temple. No culture of Mereen no learning or enaging with the populace, introducing the Shaveplate & his troops will be a great way of adding depth that simply isn't there at the moment.

I agree. Currently re-reading Dance and the Merreen chapters are actually quite interesting. Martin provides a lot of detail about the history and culture of Slavers Bay that we aren't getting at all in the show. I'm hoping Merreen gets a bit more fleshed out next season and that they show the political and economic effects of Dany stopping the slave trade (although clearly there won't be a visit from Xaro as in the books).

Ugh, why do we have enough to call it nitpicking? It's as of the show is sooooo good that the only criticisms one could possibly level against it are of the petty and trite variety.

Yes, that Beetle story was far too long. It was good, but far too long. A sort of last supper of Tyrion and Jaime could have been handled differently if you ask me. And I kinda liked the whole Sansa transformation, but seriously, are they really going to make Littlefinger that stupid and idiotic? Please. He started the War of the Five Kings, chaos is a ladder and all, but they will have us believe that he can't handle Sansa, at this point?

Ugh, why do we have enough to call it nitpicking? It's as of the show is sooooo good that the only criticisms one could possibly level against it are of the petty and trite variety.

Because a lot of what is in these threads is nitpicking.

The thread does run the gamut from serious criticisms of the show's structure to complaining because Littlefinger said "your sister" instead of "only Cat". It's not like everything here is Serious Stuff, and most of the really major criticisms tend to get their own threads anyway -- this is more for things that really aren't that big of a deal, like the part where they write "KILL THE MASTERS" in English in Meereen -- kind of weird, but not really interesting enough to justify a whole thread.

Yes, that Beetle story was far too long. It was good, but far too long. A sort of last supper of Tyrion and Jaime could have been handled differently if you ask me. And I kinda liked the whole Sansa transformation, but seriously, are they really going to make Littlefinger that stupid and idiotic? Please. He started the War of the Five Kings, chaos is a ladder and all, but they will have us believe that he can't handle Sansa, at this point?

Honestly, the beetle story ran so long that I was worried they were going to push the duel off to the next episode and just end this episode with Tyrion being led out. I'm glad they didn't do that, but if they had summarized a bit more they probably could have spent more time on the duel.

I'm not sure why people think that Littlefinger can't handle Sansa at this point. I haven't rewatched the episode but I honestly got the vibe that he was just trying to get into her head a little bit. Littlefinger's schemes still seem to be running, he is just trying to figure out how much he can rely on Sansa to play a part in them.

Should we assume Arya's whole storyline has been aborted? I don't see any plausible story line that does not have Sandor and Ayra going to LF in the Eyrie, and once there, how does she get out and to Braavos?

Do the guards at the gate beleive the Hound has Arya Stark? Probably not, but they do know who he is, and the lords will interested in talking to him no matter who he is with.

Lysa's death is actually better for Sandor and his plan to ransom Arya. Lysa had never met Arya and could easily beleive the Hound picked up some low born girl about Arya's age as a scam. LF will know Arya from Kings Landing. (Aside from Sansa certainly recognizing her sister.) He'll also not be interested serving the Lanister's ends and so won't turn Sandor in for the bounty.

And the Hound will likely know this. "Lysa's dead? So who is lord of the Eyrie?" "Young Robert Arryn is lord." "Yes, but he's a child. Who is in charge?" "Lord Baelish is regent." "Oh great, he'll know Arya. And I know his reputation as master of coin; he'll have plenty of gold for ransom. Off we go."

How else could the situation play out? Sandor just shrugs his shoulders and walks away?

Sansa is a different Sansa, she has a position of her own now. Would she even want to leave with Sandor, as much as he might want to "save" her, and return to being nothing but someone's little bird?

Actually, far more important, I believe for plot's purpose they will never meet face to face since then the whole complicated Sansa/Arya relationship would have to be brought up and the moment is not there within the plot yet.

Didn't care about most of what happened in the episode.

The stuff in Essos - didn't care. If they wrote Dany off the show tomorrow, I wouldn't complain.

Didn't care about what was happening in Moletown with Gilly and Ygritte or at the wall with Samwell as a result. I just don't have an investment in any of those characters and the showdown at the wall is moving along at a frustratingly slow pace. It feels like things are being painfully stretched out right now.

The stuff in the Eyrie - didn't care. I love Baelish and all that he is able to accomplish, but hate the new moustache-twirling depiction of him. I understand that Sansa is being expanded into more than just a human pinata, but it's still hard to care about her right now. I would have rather seen a charming Baelish outsmart the guests than Sansa, but charming Baelish has been replaced by blantantly diabolical Baelish, so I guess that's out of the question anyway.

Didn't care about Oberyn or the replacement Mountain either. Oberyn barely made an impression on me before he died in the book, and the show's expanded depiction of him didn't change my overall feeling that he was a character that was obviously invented to do trial by combat for Tyrion and little else, and is therefore not worth being invested in. I guess that one is more of a complaint about the book.

You know what didn't bother me? The stuff with Tyrion and Jaime, including the beetle speech, with the exception of the insulting impersonation of a handicapped child. I don't care if it was too short, too long, too invented, or whatever else, at least it was between two characters that I actually care about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

A bit late I know but I only just noticed it when I watched the fight now for the 2nd or 3rd time and this is a pretty severe goof: Gregor is fighting left-handed (presumably because the new actor is left-handed), while he was fighting right-handed in season #1.

A bit late I know but I only just noticed it when I watched the fight now for the 2nd or 3rd time and this is a pretty severe goof: Gregor is fighting left-handed (presumably because the new actor is left-handed), while he was fighting right-handed in season #1.

Yeah, I noticed that a couple of days ago as well.

He's ambidextrous.

Archived