[book spoilers] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

Haha the best thing was when my boyfriend came home saying he talked to someone at work whose girlfriend read the books and he said they changed so much because in the book Oberyn was using a poisoned spear and he won but got disqualified because the poisoned spear was considered cheating. It was hilarious

My bf thought, this episode was kind of lame. As the duel started, he wasn't very excited and said it wasn't good, but as soon as Oberyn's head got smashed in, he was furious and didn't expect it. Now he's totally worried about Tyrion and says, if the show kills him, he's gonna stop watching.. :D

I could barely contain my composure when a few days before the show aired an Unsullied friend said that she couldn't guess who would win the duel, but that knowing George R.R. Martin's style that she speculated that both would die.

Husband's reaction to Oberyn's death -- "the guy just couldn't let it go". He also wondered what was to be gained by the Mountain's confession. If the Mountain had said, "yes Tywin ordered me to kill Elia", what then? War between the Lannisters and Dorne? I guess we'll never know...

He hopes that Tyrion will be able to talk his way out of his execution somehow or that Jaime will save him (I scoffed at this).

He's pretty sure the Hound is toast and will die of an infection just like Drago.

He's kind of bummed that it at least seems like both Tyrion and the Hound, his favs, are doomed.

Two of my colleagues are so worried for Tyrion. One is saying that he's going to die now it's "obvious"

My boyfriend is a bit more like the Unsullied on some forums (though he doesn't go on forums) in the sense that he re-watches and tries to keep up with things.

He was sad at Oberyn's death but predicts that somebody's gonna smuggle Tyrion out for sure.

All three told me they liked Sansa's scenes for once

I got my aunt into this show really bad about two years ago since I lent her the first two seasons on DVD. I told her about Sean Bean getting his head cut off long before I even considered she would actually watch the show so that was ruined for her. Then I couldn't even enjoy her reaction to the Red Wedding because "The Rains of Castamere" was the first episode she watched out of all of season three so she ruined it for me. But this... this was going to be good, of all things. She was steadily watching every episode as soon as it aired and each week we would talk about it on the phone. I told her from the get go she was going to love this guy Oberyn and that he was one of my favorite characters from the books. We had a talk on the discussion he had with Tyrion in the dungeons and I explained his entire backstory in depth to her including the full story of Elia's death. I knew then on she was going to be very upset over his demise. Which I relished greatly...

"YES! He's going to kill every one of those evil Lannisters one by one!"

"Is Oberyn going to beat the Mountain?"

"WHY DON'T YOU EVER TELL ME THINGS?"

I myself was shocked by the brutality of his death, even as a book reader, hoping upon hopes that it would live up to the savagery in the books. So I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. She didn't pick up her phone for an entire day. When I finally got a hold of her...

Me: "Hey."

Her: "HEY! :D"

Me: "Did you watch Game of Thrones?"

Her: "Yes... >:E"

Me: *uncontrollable, unintentional laughing episode"

She said she was "distraught" and every time I would try to sympathize on how messed up it was, I would just start laughing again ):

We're not on speaking terms at the moment because I won't tell her if Tyrion lives or if Gregor died. :dunno:

I try to put it as well but it would never go up.

As I said in other topics, my flatmate was really shocked and in fact covered her eyes during the who,e scene and we had to rewatch it. She had a hard time getting over it although she didn't particularly love Oberyn or anything, and although she says that she was expecting him to lose because this is GoT. She wishes Oberyn would stop being cocky and just kill him already.

Littlefinger is still one of her favourites characters and she even has kind of a crush on him, actually. She was also shocked at the wildlings' brutality as well and their slaughter of men and women, armed or not.

I told her from the get go she was going to love this guy Oberyn and that he was one of my favorite characters from the books. We had a talk on the discussion he had with Tyrion in the dungeons and I explained his entire backstory in depth to her including the full story of Elia's death. I knew then on she was going to be very upset over his demise. Which I relished greatly...

Well played! I did something similar to my dad, making sure he understood Oberyn's backstory completely so he would be fully involved in the combat not just for Tyrion's sake.

I've asked my best friend if he understand better now the break-up of Jon and Ygritte (which he was outrsged at) but he says he doesn't like or care about Jon anymore (so I guess he won't like the next episode...)

He was convinced Oberyn would win because his agility, expertise and confidence would beat the Mountain's strenght. He maintains that he was right since "Oberyn did win the fight, he just got stupidly carried away by hs feelings in the end and fucked everything up". He says it was the most shocking scene of the show and that for him it hurted more than the Red Wedding. He didn't like that a man like Oberyn went that way, though.

He's not worried about Tyrion, he's sure he's going to survive.

He figured the story is shifting towards arya and sansa more, and he pretty much nailed sansa's pawn to player story. He thinks the hound has nothing left to live for now that he cant get money, has a bounty on his head and his brother/arch enemy is dead. So he's going to take arya on a lannister killing spree.

Copy and pasted from my facebook chat!

I honestly thought he would win, but it'll make a better Tyrion story now that he lost. So, Tyrion will escape. There is no way he gets to live in Kingslanding after everything that happened, even if LF comes back and was like, I killed Joffrey,here's how, and here's proof. However, there is no way that the show is going to kill him off.

I see someone helping him. In order of likelihood: Jaime, Spider, Sansa, Whore, Tywin. They will accomplish this in one of two ways, either a standard prison break, or a faked suicide/other death. Tywin is the least likely, but would be the most powerful. it would show that he actually does care about his family, and is tired of putting up with Cercei's shit. I don't think it would happen, but it could.

As for Sansa, it would give her a useful piece (her husband) for use in her diplomatic fuckery. And for Varys, I feel like he understands Tyrion's worth, and could benefit from having Tyrion alive on the outside of Kingslanding

Depending on how they do it, if it's a prison break type deal, people will be pissed, especially Cersei, and a party will be organized to hunt him down. if it's a fake his death deal, people will be disappointed, but start focusing on other things, and Cersei will be pissed, because she wanted to kill him herself

Tyrion could then go to 1 of 3 places. 1. The Vale, to see Sansa. 2. The wall. 3. Somewhere else that doesn't really matter, because it's about the journey, not the destination

or, if Varys frees him, wherever the fuck varys wants him to go XD

Some fun stuff here. haha

Mr SlowLoras thinks Doran Martell and his crew are going to come over and crack heads in King's Landing. He also thinks Oberyn's spear was poisoned, citing the squire polishing the spearhead & Oberyn's reputation as his reasons.

He also thinks Sansa's going to screw over Littlefinger (but not in the way LF's hoping for) and that Jorah's going to travel south to join with Stannis's army.

He's not sure if Tyrion will die or not but can't think of a way he might survive. Oh, and he thinks the Hound will die of his infected wound and Arya will go to Braavos.

Archived