[book spoilers] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions.

One of my friends was freaking out after the episode. I told him ep. 9 was going to be 100% at the wall, and he said he doesn't give a shit about Jon or the wall, that Jon was probably just going to be heroic and save the day somehow and he doesn't give a shit xD. My other friend, who was quietly sitting in the corner, piped in saying he thinks Jaime will smuggle Tyrion out. How astute of him. They thought it was bullshit that the mountain died but Oberyn still lost. I told them it was a bit more complicated than that with the mountain. Arya laughing at her aunt dying was hilarious, and Sansa's transformation went over well, as did Missandei's disrobing. And they think Dany is dumb for giving in to Twyin's tricks

General remarks:

-Absolutely HATE both Daenerys and Tywin

-Thought Oberyn's death was much worse than the Red Wedding

-Loved Arya's laughter and Sansa's transformation

Don't much care about the Wall being a big focus for episode nine, and they're even less excited to hear that it will be mostly battle. As one of my friends remarked, "the fight stuff is always so boring. KL is definitely the best part of the show, can't believe they would leave it out for a whole ep."

I think this season has done a horrible job of setting up the wall fight.. I haven't heard any unsullied that are really excited to see what happens there.

Most peoples reaction to this episode was "eew" and "if Tyrion dies I quit watching" but there were a few that thought it was awesome.

Copy and pasted from my facebook chat!

[...]

Those are some pretty good predictions. Congrats to your Unsullied for keeping up with all the crazy characters and story lines.

[1] Mr SlowLoras thinks Doran Martell and his crew are going to come over and crack heads in King's Landing. He also thinks Oberyn's spear was poisoned, citing the squire polishing the spearhead & Oberyn's reputation as his reasons.

[2] He also thinks Sansa's going to screw over Littlefinger (but not in the way LF's hoping for) and that Jorah's going to travel south to join with Stannis's army.

[3] He's not sure if Tyrion will die or not but can't think of a way he might survive. Oh, and he thinks the Hound will die of his infected wound and Arya will go to Braavos.

1) Good to see that at least some Unsullied manage to deduce what happened to the Mountain based on what we saw/heard about Oberyn.

2) Jorah travelling south (from Meereen) to join up with Stannis (in Bravos/Dragonstone)? :shocked: I think the poster for next season should be a map of Westeros (and Essos).

3) Spot on regarding Sandor and Arya, I see.

Copy and pasted from my facebook chat!

I'm so impressed by your Unsullied, it seems that he/she really keeps track of, and also knows and understand, all the characters and the situation in general.

I'm worried that next episode will bore the Unsullied too, unless it's extremely good, because none of them seem very invested in that plot. My best friend not only is not interested, but he doesn't like Jon or his plot at all. I'm a bit disappointed too that none of my Unsullied guessed the poison thing.

Unsullied GF was only dissapointed with Oberyn's faith. I thought she was gonna go mental, because she really liked him and likes Tyrion very much. She wouldn't dare to guess how he's gonna escape.

Not that interested in the Wall plot. I hope it's good, because let's face it, the expectations are very low.

She now digs Sansa and believes her transformation. (my note: though Turner's acting might be convincing, I'm not convinced by the "sudden" change within the plot)

Thinks Missandei is hot piece of ass (I know:-).

Well, Arya was hilarious and pretty much doesn't have a place to go.

2) Jorah travelling south (from Meereen) to join up with Stannis (in Bravos/Dragonstone)? :shocked: I think the poster for next season should be a map of Westeros (and Essos).

Oops. My error, not his ;)

My friends have all but given up trying to predict what will happen but general comments were:

-- Sadness and surprise about Oberyn, they had just started to really appreciate his character. Concern about what becomes of Ellaria now.

-- Hope that Tyrion lives (of course, as does everyone) and that Jamie is the one who helps him. They think Tyrion will die but that this is to obvious; his death will be more of a shock to us (like Red Wedding).

-- Sansa and Arya join up and re-establish the Stark reign at the Vale, with the Hound as protector.

It's fun that I know some of the answers to their comments but to others, we still have no idea! But, I can't say anything to them because if I say that I don't know Tyrion's fate then they know he at least lives through another 1 or 2 episodes. So I have to keep quiet.

My sister had a look of shocked horror on her face when The Mountain started eye-gouging Oberyn and her hands stayed over her face well beyond the end credits. She's still terrified that Tyrion is going to die. She wanted to know whether there are any major deaths so I told her there would likely be at least three major deaths (that was before the airing of Ep9). She thinks one might end up being Jaime because "they like killing people off who are going through a redemptive story arc".

My dad was like, "well that's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on television!" - he prefers to just enjoy the show's ride and doesn't tend to follow the intricacies of the story. Occasionally I explain things because I think it would add to his enjoyment but he doesn't always seem receptive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a non-reader friend who loves it when I tell what's going to happen in advance. So she basically knows the key stuff that's going to happen in each episode.

That said, she still woke me up in the middle of the night to scream and shout how shocking and upsetting that ending was. :laugh:

Archived