Should Olenna Tyrell be punished for breaking guest right?

Lee-Sensei

She broke guest rights by committing murder.

Sansa wasn't a guest. She was a hostage.

It doesn't matter that he's not a true Baratheon or Targaryen. LF isn't an Arryn, yet Lyn Corbray threatening to kill him was seen as breaking guest rights by the Lords Declarant.

Sansa was a ward really. She has no other family that she was being held hostage from.

Oleanna wasn't a guest, but you are correct, she did technically kinslay.

Sansa was a ward really. She has no other family that she was being held hostage from.

Oleanna wasn't a guest, but you are correct, she did technically kinslay.

It doesn't make any difference. Sansa was beaten while Robb was still alive. In fact, she was beaten because Robb won a battle. She was a hostage.

Olenna was a guest at the wedding. Her home was at Highgarden.

Reposting from the other thread with the same topic, because there are apparently two of them and I picked the one with fewer posts.

The big problem with that is that it's impossible to prove that she's responsible. With Walder Frey, everyone knows who committed the crime. With Olenna, you don't just have to prove she did it, but also that Tyrion didn't do it, which would be difficult, seeing as how there was already a trial and a confession, of sorts.

Karmic punishment, on the other hand.... Well, it's possible.

Also, I can't remember if the Tyrells provided the food for the wedding or not. If they did, then they didn't eat of their host's bread and salt, technically aren't under guest right, and technically didn't break it, although they would be horrific rule-mongerers.

Then she's a kinslayer. Much better. :)

I think that kinslaying only applies to blood relations, not to families you've married into.

Joffrey was a little shit and Olenna Tyrell is awesome, but she did break guest rights and that's and that's a serious crime in their world. Does anyone else think she needs to die for it?

Guest right being a serious crime is a bit hazy. It's not a crime (imo) in the sense that there are laws against it that have been enacted by the government(s) of the realm(s). It's more like a moral transgression - probably the most serious moral transgression there is. Someone who sins in this way is more than a mere criminal, they are a depraved and evil person. That's the province of the gods. So in a sense, anyone being tried by a court and executed is not enough punishment for such a crime. They need to suffer in ways that only the gods can determine.

Murder is definitely a crime that is covered by the laws of men, though. Olenna is vulnerable on that count too.

Reposting from the other thread with the same topic, because there are apparently two of them and I picked the one with fewer posts.

The big problem with that is that it's impossible to prove that she's responsible. With Walder Frey, everyone knows who committed the crime. With Olenna, you don't just have to prove she did it, but also that Tyrion didn't do it, which would be difficult, seeing as how there was already a trial and a confession, of sorts.

Karmic punishment, on the other hand.... Well, it's possible.

Also, I can't remember if the Tyrells provided the food for the wedding or not. If they did, then they didn't eat of their host's bread and salt, technically aren't under guest right, and technically didn't break it, although they would be horrific rule-mongerers.

I think that kinslaying only applies to blood relations, not to families you've married into.

Someone said that she wasn't a Kinslayer because they're family.

She broke guest rights by committing murder.

Sansa wasn't a guest. She was a hostage.

It doesn't matter that he's not a true Baratheon or Targaryen. LF isn't an Arryn, yet Lyn Corbray threatening to kill him was seen as breaking guest rights by the Lords Declarant.

LF was lord protector of the vale by marriage though.I'd imagine guest right was extended as an assurance that they would treat peacefully given the strange circumstances, which is why the potential violation is even mentioned.

I think that the truth of Joff's parentage and the truth of Cersei's crimes may retroactively nullify the ability to offer guest right because he wouldn't be the king and she wouldn't be the queen if not for all of the lying and killing. In the eyes of the gods the Lannister/Baratheons may not be viewed as true hosts because the king is the product of incest and not the rightful claimant to the throne. I think that LF would be painted with a similar brush in the eyes of the gods. He did marry Lady Arryn, but he also killed her to take control of her seat and has committed or pulled the strings on numerous ill deeds.

LF was lord protector of the vale by marriage though.I'd imagine guest right was extended as an assurance that they would treat peacefully given the strange circumstances, which is why the potential violation is even mentioned.

I think that the truth of Joff's parentage and the truth of Cersei's crimes may retroactively nullify the ability to offer guest right because he wouldn't be the king and she wouldn't be the queen if not for all of the lying and killing. In the eyes of the gods the Lannister/Baratheons may not be viewed as true hosts because the king is the product of incest and not the rightful claimant to the throne. I think that LF would be painted with a similar brush in the eyes of the gods. He did marry Lady Arryn, but he also killed her to take control of her seat and has committed or pulled the strings on numerous ill deeds.

The Eyrie belongs to the Arryns. LF was not an Arryn. The Red Keep belongs to the Targaryens or Baratheons. Joffrey was neither.

I don't think that's how it works. No matter what they've done, LF and the Lannisters were protected by guest rights.

I'd say that Olenna saved the Kingdom. She got rid of a useless and cruel king who would sooner rather then later have thrown the Westeros into another rebellion to the detriment of both Tyrells and Lannisters. Tywin should have disposed this little shite and appointed his brother Tommen instead.

The Eyrie belongs to the Arryns. LF was not an Arryn. The Red Keep belongs to the Targaryens or Baratheons. Joffrey was neither.

I don't think that's how it works. No matter what they've done, LF and the Lannisters were protected by guest rights.

This. So very much.

Westeros hates rules-lawyering. Except when done to reciprocate.

Has Joffrey broken the guest right by imprisoning and killing Ned? How about Jaime by attacking him in the streets?

I'm not sure the Tyrells can be seen as guests in King's Landing - it is technically their home as much as it is for the Lannisters. They weren't acting in the capacity of guests in any case as they help to pay for and organise the whole thing and are a part of the Small Council.

Archived