How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Brilliant episode! Deserves a 10. And this is from someone who hardly ever gives out 10s to this show. I rated Blackwater an 8, and the Red Wedding an 8.

It was just perfect. Pace, action, tension, emotional impact all right on the money. It's also faithful to the book in that the Wall battle is prolonged and over several tension filled, exhausting chapters/nights thus hightenening the relief of Stannis' rescue.

I cried when Pyp died. It was beautifully done.

What I found most surprising about this episode - more surprising than how well the Giants were rendered, and the brilliance of the anchor sequence - is that for the first time since the beginning of the series, Kit Harrington actually delivered a good performance. I am utterly shocked! If the audience don't love Jon after tonight, they never will.

It's just a wonderful piece of television.
Edited by Sun

I realize it didn't end with a nice neat button with Stannis "Tyrelling" to the rescue, but I didn't mind Jon's going out into the frozen white - it sets up one of several "Holy Shit!" endings for ep 10. No doubt Mel will roast Orell's eagle, or the the nosey owl next ep. Or both.

I didn't miss the ambiguity of "did Jon Snow kill Ygritte?" Don't worry - the show still has 400 other ambiguous plot points.

To be honest, it is a more epic battle than Blackwater - what with both flanks hit simultaneously, giants firing arrows 1000 feet and all, mammoths for God's sake, guys climbing a 700 foot wall, The World's Biggest WIndshield Wiper clearing the pesky climbers, oh yeah, the slight threat of 100,000 Wildings raping everything south of the Wall, and most important (as far as drama in a TV show) -- several characters we've grown to know over the past 4 seasons killing each other. in "Blackwater", Stannis never crossed swords with the Hound, for example. Here we had Thorne vs. Tormund, Jon vs. Styr, Ygritte vs. Pip, Ollie vs. Ygritte, Grenn vs. Giant, Ghost vs. whomever he saw first, Janos vs. his shit-stained pants.

I loved the circle of death - the boy who witnessed Ygritte kill his father returned the favor.

So many epic moments setting things up. I know critics will complain Sam's kiss of Gilly was melodramatic, but it truly felt real to me, and added to the tension. He finally falls in love with a girl, thought he'd lost her in Mole's Town, gets her back, then suddenly realizes he probably won't live another day. Who WOULDN'T steal a kiss?

And I've seen several people say, "There were way more than 100 Night's Watchmen." Really? I missed the thousands of crows on the Wall or defending Castle Black. Seemed about 100 to me.

Edited by WinterisAlwaysComing

A 5, you know it wasn't the best episode when Allister Thorne is the most entertaining part of it.

What's with all the Sam and Gilly scenes??? Do people really care about them? That was a serious Sam-overdose, I don't want to see his face every three seconds. And how creepy was him trying to talk about his sex-obsession with Jon? Ugh those first scenes I was just wondering if anyone, anywhere, was interested in that shit. Can't be. Then came his newfound courage, like, sure now Sam is the best ever. NO.

I still give it a 5 because of Ygritte, Allister, a bit of Tormund, the actual action-scenes were great and Jon got his face smashed into an anvil :). All the talk scenes (minus Ygritte's and Allister's) were boring, wasn't invested and so was less invested in the episode as a whole. I was also expecting Stannis at the end which may be another cause of my disappointment. Wonder how they will make that work in the next episode. This episode could've used some more Stannis and some less Sam/Gilly.

Mammoths and gianst were cool, have to say that though.

Edited by SkaggCannibal

Besides the main thought I had during being, "Hahaha, they could only afford TWO giants and ONE mammoth!"

As well as the slow start... still a solid 8.5 for me. I think I like this battle better than Blackwater. It just felt much grander and epic. I could also follow what was going on a lot easier.

Oh, and the Jon/Ygritte scene was beautiful!

Edited by Bastard of the Dreadfort

I gave it a 10, the first 10 I'd give an Episode this season.

There was no reason for Stannis to be in this episode, the first night of the battle on the wall. I think people forget that he comes during the day.

I honestly feel a lot of the 1 ratings are being a bit irrational here. I would only rate a show a 1 if it was completely and utterly unwatchable beyond 5 minutes in, which the episode certainly was not.

Edit: Also, I like Sam. He's my favorite part of the current wall storyline.

Edited by Cyril

worst episode of the season for me - 4/10

For the first time I felt the stuff in the beginning was really just filler, as much as I hate the people constantly whining about everything but plot twists and actin scenes being "filler".

The battle - so much stupid. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Wildlings gather and light a huge campfire about 300 yards from Castle Black to spring their "surprise attack" from there.

Cold vegetable oil explodes when you poke a hole in the barrel.

Mance was a man of the Nights Watch but has his men climb the wall directly above the gate where all tthe defenses are, including that scythe on a chain.

ONE giant can lift the gate, it didn't occur to them to try that when they still had TWO of them and men that could have crawled under and taken out the defenders?

John cuddles Ygritte while his brothers are still fighting for their lives.

Plenty of brothers with swords and shields, but nobody does more damage than a stewart cook with a midsize kettle.

Wildlings are already over the castle wall and attacking but Ser Alliser is still holding speeches.

Most of all - that super diappointing ending. No Stannis.

Seems like the more CGI money you give a director the less thought tis given to anyother aspect of a film. "Prometheus" by Ridley Scott comes to mind here, the most stupid ffilm I have ever seen.

Edited by BlackTalon

For some weird reason my vote is always coinciding with third most voted grade.... 8 this time. Battle was great. Deducted two points

a) for badly constructed build-up about love. The theme itself is what it should be, I just find boring most of the Sam's talk with Jon and Aemon. The only part I liked there was Ygritte's frustration.

b ) for not showing what Gilly had to say to Slynt while he was shivering there.

Edited by Alboin

Another "great" example of stringing things along until the season ends with useless dialog.

The fight was nice and well orchestrated but i was hoping for more out of the second last episode of the series.And thank god we didn't get more "walk and talk" from arya and clegane(the most boring things i've ever seen).

+3 points for a nice battle so i gave it a 4 becouse the feeling of rushing to the finish sticks after almost every episode of this season.

Brilliant episode! Deserves a 10. And this is from someone who hardly ever gives out 10s to this show. I rated Blackwater an 8, and the Red Wedding an 8.

It was just perfect. Pace, action, tension, emotional impact all right on the money. It's also faithful to the book in that the Wall battle is prolonged and over several tension filled, exhausting chapters/nights thus hightenening the relief of Stannis' rescue.

I cried when Pyp died. It was beautifully done.

What I found most surprising about this episode - more surprising than how well the Giants were rendered, and the brilliance of the anchor sequence - is that for the first time since the beginning of the series, Kit Harrington actually delivered a good performance. I am utterly shocked! If the audience don't love Jon after tonight, they never will.

It's just a wonderful piece of television.

Everything this man just said, i was crying like a little girl when Pep died. Then it was that dreadful feeling that Green will die also when the screen cut to black when the Giant attacked..

I normally don't like Allister but his speech was epic and funny at the same time, very well delivered. Onto the man of the hour Jon Snow, great performance loved how he rose to the occasion when needed but all trough the episode it was clear that he is still a kid well over his head.

worst episode of the season for me - 4/10

For the first time I felt the stuff in the beginning was really just filler, as much as I hate the people constantly whining about everything but plot twists and actin scenes being "filler".

The battle - so much stupid. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Wildlings gather and light a huge campfire about 300 yards from Castle Black to spring their "surprise attack" from there.

Cold vegetable oil explodes when you poke a hole in the barrel.

Mance was a man of the Nights Watch but has his men climb the wall directly above the gate where all tthe defenses are, including that scythe on a chain.

ONE giant can lift the gate, it didn't occur to them to try that when they still had TWO of them and men that could have crawled under and taken out the defenders?

John cuddles Ygritte while his brothers are still fighting for their lives.

Plenty of brothers with swords and shields, but nobody does more damage than a stewart cook with a midsize kettle.

Wildlings are already over the castle wall and attacking but Ser Alliser is still holding speeches.

Most of all - that super diappointing ending. No Stannis.

Seems like the more CGI money you give a director the less thought tis given to anyother aspect of a film. "Prometheus" by Ridley Scott comes to mind here, the most stupid ffilm I have ever seen.

You're life must be really boring for you to nitpick this much on a tv series. I won't bother much with your posts cause its all kinds of silly but maybe this will shed some light for you:

"ONE giant can lift the gate, it didn't occur to them to try that when they still had TWO of them and men that could have crawled under and taken out the defenders?"

One giant was only able to take up the gate because he was in grief/ anger state over the death of his fellow giant and had most likely had a huge rush of adrenaline pumping trough him. Your post is utter nonsense.

8/10. I liked it quite a bit, but not as much as Blackwater TBH. It's mostly because that episode had more interesting characters involved. Ser Alliser fighting Tormund was awesome, Ygritte's death was handled well, and the performances by Owen Teale, Kit Harington and Rose Leslie were quite good. Dissapointed that there was no Stannis. I was expecting next episode that he would offer Jon WF and that Jon would be elected LC. Oh well.

Edited by The King Of Cooked Steak

8.5. Any episode that doesn't include a Dany scene is a good episode.

Was kinda disappointed with the total length of the show. I didn't like that Jon and Sam scene where they talk about love. Not just because it took out time, but because it was kinda pointless.

The running time of this show was 51 minutes

The next one will be 66 minutes

Idk why not balance it out but I'm fine with it. My expectation for the finale are extremely high. It better not disappoint.

Purists should be happy with the ending. Its still in line with the books. I myself probably would have had Stannis coming in and smashing it plus Mance etc. In this ep.

But I will reserve judgment until next week.

I thought the ep as a whole was great

You're life must be really boring for you to nitpick this much on a tv series. I won't bother much with your posts cause its all kinds of silly but maybe this will shed some light for you:

One giant was only able to take up the gate because he was in grief/ anger state over the death of his fellow giant and had most likely had a huge rush of adrenaline pumping trough him. Your post is utter nonsense.

There is nitpicking and there are legitimate complaints because what we get to see it plain stupid and getting it right would not have cost a dollar more, just some thought.

My remark about the giant seem to be the only part of my "utter nonsense" post you seem to be able to counter with some argument, no matter how desperately you have to reach and make up things out of thin air...

I guess you liked "Prometheus" too, did I twist your panties with that remark? Seriously, two-post dude, have you even read the books?

Edited by BlackTalon

9/10. Aemon and Ygritte had the best scenes and the fighting choreography and CG were all very well done. We also got some good character moments out of Sam, Jon, Pyp, and Alliser. Good to see itwas also true to the book so that Stannis can arrive when he's supposed to arrive.

This episode was one of the most entertaining in the show's history. For starters, it was an episode of people doing things. The corollary to 'show, don't tell' is 'act, don't talk.' I really did get a feel for the siege, and the strategies both sides were using. Scythe versus scalers. Giants versus Iron Gate. Direwolf versus throat.

Yet, when the episode ended, what had actually changed? At the beginning, the wildlings were about to over run the Wall and the Night's Watch has a leadership crisis. At the end... the wildlings are about to over run the Wall and the Night's Watch has a leadership crisis.

I was so close to giving this a 10, but the episode lacked a resolution. 9/10

10 - it was awesome much better than the book version. I loved Gilly and Ygritte. And I really liked the cliffhanger. I think possibly more could have been made of the fact that ravens begging for help from all the self proclaimed kings and not one has so far sent the army needed to win the war. Series 3 had Melisandre tell Stannis he had to go to the wall and help but apart from the Iron Bank of Braavos scene where he begged for money and soldiers we haven't seen much. My son tells me he is really looking forward to seeing how the Red Witch deals with the wargs. I'd just like to see her rescue Jon Snow from his enemies...