How would you rate episode 409?  

898 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

10 - it was awesome much better than the book version. I loved Gilly and Ygritte. And I really liked the cliffhanger. I think possibly more could have been made of the fact that ravens begging for help from all the self proclaimed kings and not one has so far sent the army needed to win the war. Series 3 had Melisandre tell Stannis he had to go to the wall and help but apart from the Iron Bank of Braavos scene where he begged for money and soldiers we haven't seen much. My son tells me he is really looking forward to seeing how the Red Witch deals with the wargs. I'd just like to see her rescue Jon Snow from his enemies...

Stannis doesn't beg.

I really didn't like the episode. :/

Aemon's and Sam's scene was w/e.

The battle for me was just a bunch of men fighting for their lives. We didn't get to see that much of Jon commanding and show why he's Lord Commander material.

And Ygritte's death didn't quite deliver.

We better see "Stannis! Stannis! Stannis" next episode. It is time for non book readers to see why Stannis is so nice.

4/10.

I gave it a 9

The episode itself was beautifully shot, the wide panning shots were excellent and i enjoyed in one part of the episode how it followed the various characters in the fight at castle black.

The only thing about the shooting was that sometimes it was hard to tell who was wildling and who was NW. However that couldn't really be avoided with night and only black/brown colours.

I enjoyed all the build up, including Sam struggling with the concept of love over duty and trying to find loopholes from the vow. I as always, loved the Sam/Aemon scene. Aemon nearly made me cry, and i'm wondering whether they'll reveal who he was in love with. However this scene probably would've been better placed in 4x08 when Sam was upset over Gilly. In fact i think most of the Sam/Gilly scenes, although character building and lovely could've been shortened to finish off the battle this episode.

The fighting was excellent. I thought the people on top the wall could have been loosing more arrows..The giant's arrow was awesome when that guy went flying.

Also I don't know about anyone else, but i felt a bit sad when the two giants died?

I thought Ygritte's death scene was well executed. Those two sold it, it didn't effect me as much in the books as it did on screen. Well done to Kit by showing the type of emotion only Jon would show. If you think he should've been more upset by it..no. They were in the middle of a battle for christs sake he didn't have time. Jon has become what he became in the books- a little cold and unemotional after the death, as Sam notices in the books, he's not Jon anymore.

I'm so upset that Pyp and Grenn died. I feel like the lack of exploration for characters on the wall affected this episode, characters that could've replaced Grenn and Pyp. But their deaths did serve to bring balance to the deaths- your favourite characters can't always live. I really liked the Ser Aliser Thorne redemption of sorts, he also had some of the best lines.

Why didn't they show Mance! Not many people (unsullied who aren't really into it like i am i.e my family) even remember who he was? They really should've shown the 3 camps; castle black, Tormund and Mance

I think with a little more cuts here and there they could have finished this episode like Blackwater, with Stannis riding in. But now i think about it, the attack on the wall is vastly more complicated and really needs 2 full episodes but we're only going to get a maximum of 15 minutes more at the wall. I'm a little concerned about the finale, there's so much to cram in there, that this episode would've been better had it ended with Stannis.

Not a perfect 10 but very close.

Edited by igrewupinKL

Neil Marshall and Dave&Dan would be great choice for Skyrim adaptation, not adapting last quarter of A Storm of Swords, one of the best reading experiences people can experience.

Cliche and stereotypes ridden adaptation (ygritte's way of death, standard cowardly high ranking arrogant boastful commander Janos Slynt, 300like idiotic battle shouts, awkward sex talk before deadly battle).

Fights were extra boring, music is super-mediocre and unoriginal. Very uncreative visualizations of Giants and wildling's leaders. But that we know of before.

Good parts: love talk (even though Aemon's past is another example of masterful DUMBING DOWN), some actor performances, directing, cinematography and choreography were more or less solid, maybe above solid for TV production.

All in all, it's 5/10 from me. Three years before I would never dream of seeing something so popcorny mass appealing, campy and cliched as average Hollywood history flic of HBO's production but times have changed, HBO is mere a shadow of it former self and money along with huge audience and all that...

But hey it was damn EPIC hour of television, whatever that word means.

Edited by Andrey

Are you guys kidding me? Blackwater was terrible compared to this battle; it left out a lot of elements in that battle and this battle ADDED a lot of elements. This battle was way better done in the show then in the books because the attack was simultaneous and I always wondered why the attackers never tried climbing the wall. They did that in this episode. The only nitpick I have with this is it seemed more like a 100 vs 50 battle at the bottom of the wall rather then 20 versus whatever. Blackwater was a boring battle compared to this one.

In the Iron Bank scene it was Davos as usual making Stannis look good. I'm looking forward to Melisandre making him look like king material on the Wall. Also what are the odds now of an Olenna Aemon reunion in KL Season 5 after the way they did Jon and Ygritte?

Effect of D&D's adaptation. Stannis the Mannis is so blackwashed.

Any episode that manages to piss off the loonies, who are calling themselves Stannis fans, gets 10 from me. And I haven't even seen it yet.

Stop ruining that character for me with your crazy vitriol!

You know it's a shit episode when D&D crazies give it an automatic 10 without even watching the Ep.

You lunatics never fail to amuse me. :)

Edited by Stan the Man Baratheon

After some time to let it sink in (and a rewatch tomorrow maybe) I think its better than I originally said... but idk, something just really feels off. I can't describe it right. Maybe its overhype, or maybe its just general disinterest in the Wall since... well, since the show began. I love it in the books, but I swear, if D&D had enough power to just drop whole storylines it might just be the Wall. It's always seemed lackluster compared to the rest of the show and finally putting in a Wall-heavy episode doesn't seem to make up for that. Plus, the star power is very lacking here.

As for book purists (which I generally am not, I only defend them) they really do have the right of it. There are so few changes that are necessitated by the page-to-screen transition. Some are understandable and some reek of the showrunners wanting to attach their own credit to someone else's work (well, even more so than an adaption in the first place.) Plus, there's a big difference between "quality literature" and "quality television." The difference being quality. Which will always go to literature. :P

Edited by LordStoneheart

Are you guys kidding me? Blackwater was terrible compared to this battle; it left out a lot of elements in that battle and this battle ADDED a lot of elements. This battle was way better done in the show then in the books because the attack was simultaneous and I always wondered why the attackers never tried climbing the wall. They did that in this episode. The only nitpick I have with this is it seemed more like a 100 vs 50 battle at the bottom of the wall rather then 20 versus whatever. Blackwater was a boring battle compared to this one.

I agree the only thing that carried the blackwater episode was the fact that we knew the characters well. And Peter Dinklage of course

My first 10/10 for an GOT episode. Still laughing at so called bookreaders thinking stannis shows up at the night siege when he comes during the day siege lmao.

Laugh all you like. Not everyone is saying that at all. The battle scene was not epic. It was hyped up and didn't deliver. That is all.