"Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode [NO SPOILERS]

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if someone has already said this, but sam's smart arse comments made me howl. I also loved Thorne's effing and jeffing, half of those 'fucks' seamed improvised to me, I loved them all.

I am still traumatised over grenn's death, although they did it well.

I really liked this episode and everything about it.

Lots of the little touches were so good

+ the cook with his cleaver, doing an 'Under Siege' moment

+ The look Gilly gave Slint

+ Edd taking command

+ The 'whats it like' conversation

+ Tormunds bear story

Etc etc

I liked the callback to Jon and Sam's discussion about virginity in season 1. Jon mentioned that he had almost done it with Ros and Sam asked for a description. Jon said "she had red hair". Sam pried a few more descriptors out of Jon the first time; this time he just asks about her feet in exasperation.

It was also lovely how the show delved a bit into the power and limitations of the vows. Sam commented that he and Gilly hadn't, but the reasons were about Gilly "she just had a baby, she didn't offer", not about Sam's vows. Jon brought up the vows because they're weighing on him. Jon and Aemon believe in the vows but Jon at least has trouble following them (not just Ygritte, Jon also ran away); Sam has less reverence and interprets them to fit his life view; and in his moment of death Grenn turns to them.

I also really liked that they showed Edd's reaction to Jon giving Grenn his assignment. Edd and Grenn hung out together throughout season 2 and then were captives together at Craster's Keep in season 3. They must have been close. After Grenn leaves, Edd gives Jon a long look of "he's going to die but you made the right choice" and then Edd gets back to helping Jon run the wall's defenses.

Brothers!

A hundred generations have defended this castle…

It has never fallen before and it will not fall tonight…

Those are Thens at our walls…

They eat the flesh of the men they kill…

Do you want to fill the belly of a Then tonight?

Tonight we fight!

And when the sun rises I promise you…

Castle black will stand!

The Night’s Watch will stand!

WITH ME NOW!!!

NOW, WITH ME!!!

I've watched that scene easily over 20 times now and I get goosebumps every time I see it...

I would absolutely follow that man into battle!

What move was it that Jon picked up from Karl?

He spits in Styr's face to blind him and then hits him over the head with the hammer. Karl spit in Jon's face during their fight, as well, so Jon knows how to fight dirty now :)

I wonder if they intentionally had Jon pick that up to show his growth as a fighter. I hadn't made the connection.

Yeah, it was definitely a callback to show that Jon has learned from his experience. They had the other callback to when Jon and Sam were talking about sex:

"What was she like?"

"She had red hair."

Except that time, he was talking about Ros. I really think they did a great job of connecting all of the elements of the Wall storyline over the past 4 years, and I was really impressed by it.

"Im not a bloody poet!"

This is so Jon in a nutshell and i loved it. This is really, really just plain Jon Snow. For once, this guy is really expressing himself and he knows Sam wont judge. Sam is one of the few who really knows Jon. Hence his reply of something like "You sure arent."

I also loved how he smiles to Ygritte when she confronts him. Its that "oh thank the gods, youre alive!" expression and its adorable.

Edd's scythe was a lot of yes.

Slynt hiding like a bitch, but actually not doing anything to Gilly. Not even a word.

"Im not a bloody poet!"

This is so Jon in a nutshell and i loved it. This is really, really just plain Jon Snow. For once, this guy is really expressing himself and he knows Sam wont judge. Sam is one of the few who really knows Jon. Hence his reply of something like "You sure arent."

I also loved how he smiles to Ygritte when she confronts him. Its that "oh thank the gods, youre alive!" expression and its adorable.

Edd's scythe was a lot of yes.

Slynt hiding like a bitch, but actually not doing anything to Gilly. Not even a word.

She'd totally take him down XD

Yeah. And he knows it. Gilly is a Mama Bear and a dick stomper. Slynt wouldnt stand a chance. This is a girl who survived Craster, Others, wilderness, and ninja'd past Thenns. Dont. Mess.

:lol:

She deserves her own appreciation thread!

I wouldn't have minded a bit of dialog...

Gilly: Are you a man?

Slynt: What? Yes, of course, are you afraid I'm going to...

Gilly: No, not that...just Sam said the men would be fighting. It's ok if you're afraid, I am too, not everybody can be as brave as Sam.

Slynt: I'm not afraid...Sam told me to look in after you, that's all...

Gilly: You can have that corner, I've been using it when I need to change baby Sam's diapers, and you smell like you've already shit yourself a few times tonight...

I wouldn't have minded a bit of dialog...

Gilly: Are you a man?

Slynt: What? Yes, of course, are you afraid I'm going to...

Gilly: No, not that...just Sam said the men would be fighting. It's ok if you're afraid, I am too, not everybody can be as brave as Sam.

Slynt: I'm not afraid...Sam told me to look in after you, that's all...

Gilly: You can have that corner, I've been using it when I need to change baby Sam's diapers, and you smell like you've already shit yourself a few times tonight...

This needs to be in the deleted scenes when the dvds are released!

:lol:

Archived