Varys's Backstory: What Are the Readers Expected to Believe?

Lost Melnibonean

His claim that he was Robert's greatest friends in the last 15 years. That certainly would have been Jon Arryn and/or Ned Stark himself, don't you think.

I cannot prove that he also lied about begging Jon Arryn to use a food taster, but he would have had no motive to do that. Varys' plans were threatened by Jon Arryn's intention to tell Robert about the incest.

Many of his banters and with Littlefinger in ACoK certainly weren't sincere, either, not to mention him stating that Dany had to die along with her unborn child during the Small Council session in AGoT. We know from Jorah that he had warned him about the assassination attempt and that Varys didn't want to kill Daenerys. Therefore he either lied to Jorah or the Small Council, no?

And he may have been lying about either Aegon or his intentions in the Epilogue speech. I don't think he did, but there are people who do think that.

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

His claim that he was Robert's greatest friends in the last 15 years. That certainly would have been Jon Arryn and/or Ned Stark himself, don't you think.

I cannot prove that he also lied about begging Jon Arryn to use a food taster, but he would have had no motive to do that. Varys' plans were threatened by Jon Arryn's intention to tell Robert about the incest.

Many of his banters and with Littlefinger in ACoK certainly weren't sincere, either, not to mention him stating that Dany had to die along with her unborn child during the Small Council session in AGoT. We know from Jorah that he had warned him about the assassination attempt and that Varys didn't want to kill Daenerys. Therefore he either lied to Jorah or the Small Council, no?

And he may have been lying about either Aegon or his intentions in the Epilogue speech. I don't think he did, but there are people who do think that.

Doesn't Varys suggest to Eddard that he's been helping to keep Robert alive against Cersei's little plots? So doesn't his claim carry some truth? And in council Varys agreed that Daenerys and her son would have to die to avoid blooshed. Wasn't that a true statement? 

Archived