Varys's Backstory: What Are the Readers Expected to Believe?

Lost Melnibonean

When we first meet Varys in Catelyn IV, Game, the George suggests to us that Varys is what we learn later to be called a dragonseed...

Catelyn IV, Game

Catelyn's musing about only the blood of the dragon knowing the secrets of the Red Keep was echoed in Tyrion X, Clash...

Tyrion X, Clash

The hairless as an egg line would allude to how Egg disguised himself at least through the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. And, as discussed in other threads, the egg seems to be a metaphor for Targaryens being revealed. Unfortunately, we haven't learned the color of his eyes, but Eddard tells us he smells like lilacs...

Eddard IV, Game

Perhaps he's a Blackfyre as most members of this forum appear to believe, or maybe he's a Brightflame of legitimate or illegitimate descent (Aerion was exiled for a time in Lys), or maybe he's just a seed from untraceable descent, but it seems clear that he has the blood of the dragon.

Pycelle advised Eddard that Varys was born a slave in Lys...

Eddard V, Game

In Tyrion X, Clash we learn a little more of Varys's origins...

Tyrion X, Clash

We get the rest of the story, through his early succes with Illyrio, in Tyrion II, Dance...

Tyrion II, Dance

We are dealt an inconsistency right away. Was Varys a slave sold to a traveling folly or an orphan apprenticed to a traveling folly? Either the mummers paid to take him or they were paid to take him. If you believe Varys was a legitimate Blackfyre or the legitimate son of Aerion's son, the second scenario as related by Varys makes sense. But if he were a legitimate apprentice would he have been sold to the wizard in Myr? That latter event suggests Varys was chattle and that the mummers had bought him.

So, what should the reader be expected to believe?

1) Does Varys have the blood of the dragon?

2) Was Varys born into slavery in Lys?

3) Did a wzard whack off his member in Myr?

4) Did he rise to become a successful thief in Myr?

5) Was he forced out of Myr by a rival?

6) Did he have trouble getting started in Pentos?

7) Did Varys seek out Illyrio for "protection"?

8) Was Illyrio just a poor bravo when they met?

I'm sure we'll get the next phase of the backstory in Dance. I'm really curios to learn how Varys was "recruited" by Aerys.

In regards to the bolded part, I used to think there was an inconsistency there but there are two passages in ADWD that make me think being a slave and being an apprentice are not mutually exclusive. The first is Penny's story about her father in chapter 33:

"...a little person? No, but our father was. His own father sold him to a slaver when he was three, but he grew up to be such a famous mummer that he bought his freedom.

And then this story in chapter 2:

The noble Grazdan had once owned a slave woman who was a very fine weaver, it seemed; the fruits of her loom were greatly valued, not only in Meereen, but in New Ghis and Astapor and Qarth. When this old woman had grown old, Grazdan had purchased half a dozen young girls and commanded the crone to instruct them in the secrets of her craft.

Here we see two instances where people were first purchased as slaves and then taught a craft. The definition of apprentice is someone who works for another in order to learn a craft, so maybe there really is no inconsistency here. Just a thought.

In answer to your eight questions:

1. The way I see the story going Varys doesn't need to have the blood of the dragon. However, if he is a hidden dragon and hails from Lys, then I think he is Targaryen. Why? The last known base of operations for the Blackfyres was Tyrosh. I think that is the city any Blackfyres will come from.

2. I doubt Varys was born into slavery. The reason I think this is Varys talks about being orphaned. If he was born into slavery, being orphaned would be neither here nor there in how he ended up a slave. Was a Varys a slave while being with the mummers? I think he was. However, being an orphan, Varys may have been sold even without being a slave. Who was there to stop the guy who sold him?

3. I believe Varys' story about how he was castrated. I haven't really seen any good argument as to why that story wasn't true.

4. I see no reason to doubt that Varys was a successful thief in Myr. He probably didn't even have to be the best thief in Myr in order to get people upset, with Varys being a eunuch, they were already half there.

5. This is another part of Varys' back story that I see no reason to question. Varys was very young and had no friends; it wouldn't take much to intimidate him into leaving.

6. I think this is unknowable at this time. We get this part of Varys' backstory from Illyrio and it may be something he said to Illyrio in order to justify approaching him.

7. This is related to number 6. If Varys had another reason for approaching Illyrio he never told Illyrio what that reason was. In this instance, we can only know what he told Illyrio. Although it is a plausible reason for approaching Illyrio.

8. Yes, I believe he was. What reason would Illyrio have for partnering up with Varys if he had other means?

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend."

I think this is really weird. Obviously, when one first reads this, they would think of Jon Arryn. Especially since this quote is in reference to Ned finding out about the Lannister bastards. Then in ASOS we find out that Littlefinger and Lysa are behind the murder or Jon Arryn. Taking into account the letter Lysa send to Cat in AGOT, we know that who murdered Jon Arryn was already known to GRRM in the first book. This means that Varys is by no account talking about Jon Arryn. The only other logical possibility is then Jon Connington who didn't exactly die. If that's the case, then once again, I am marvelled by george's foreshadowing. It does beg the question: Did Ned die or 'die'?

Aegon VI is thought to be dead but in reality he is being molded into the "perfect ruler" spending time with commoners while learning languages, history, religion.

Varys is thought to be an orphan/slave & eunuch but in reality he was being molded into the perfect saboteur, learning how to manipulate, steal, lie, and developing relationships with his "little Birds".

Clearly he serves some greater power and he has been prepping/ being trained his whole life for........

well, since he wants chaos in the realm and helped shuttle infant Aegon out of Westeros it seems to me that he is a Targ loyalist/ family member.

Illyrio is Varys' mentor.

I'm beginning to think that Aegon is Aemon's sphinx--a chimera just like the manticore noted with the griffin and the dragon. The classical Greek sphinx would not allow anyone to pass unless he could solve the riddle posed by the sphinx. But in this case the sphinx--Aegon--is the riddle, being a Blackfyre and perhaps a Brightflame and a Bloodstar too. And if Daenerys doesn't guess the riddle Aegon will destroy her.

Well we do have Sphinxes and Valyrian Sphinxes in the story, so Aegon is sort of a Valyrian Sphinx...

Well we do have Sphinxes and Valyrian Sphinxes in the story, so Aegon is sort of a Valyrian Sphinx...

I don't think he's a Valyrian sphinx. Ned describes the Valyrian sphinxes outside the small council chambers having black faces with red eyes.

BTW, you asked about color. Try the 10th post here...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101015-the-dragon-has-three-heads/page-6

I don't think he's a Valyrian sphinx. Ned describes the Valyrian sphinxes outside the small council chambers having black faces with red eyes.

BTW, you asked about color. Try the 10th post here...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/101015-the-dragon-has-three-heads/page-6

That made my head hurt, but I see what you are suggesting for three dragons here. Very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I truly hope that we will never find out that Varys is a secret descendent of House No-Balls/Targ/Blackfyre or whatnot. The awesomeness of his characters lies precisely in the fact that is his "nobody" who came from "nowhere" and has no family ties and allegiances, other than those he acquired during his life. He can choose whatever he does and whomever he supports based on his own whims. Everybody else is honour-, blood- or oath-bound to some cause, so ironically, Varys is the character with the most freedom of choice and thus act as his own agent of providence. It would be a bit of a letdown for me to find out in the end that Varys' motivations where driven by a promise to dying mother to restore the glory of his exiled house or to destroy those who wronged them.

I am all on the Aegon is Blackfyre bandwagon for the time being, despite most of the evidence being purely circumstantial. It provides some satisfying answers while most other theories just raise more questions. But, while BlackGriff :-) possibly explains Illyrio's involvement, I am not sure that the same could be said for Varys'. Illyrio and Varys are kindred spirits and share a common goal (put Aegon on the throne) but I think their motivations might not be identical and thus could potentially clash in the future.

If Aegon = Illyrio's son = last descendent of House Blackfyre (through his mother Serra), then Illyrio's motives could be a mix of ambition and sentiment.The scheme will allow Illyrio to give his son and his descendants the most powerful hereditary position in the world whilst also secretly restoring the "wronged" rightful dynasty of his beloved wife. I can buy to that, although I still struggle a bit with the fact that without a reveal (unlikely) Aegon would just be another Targaryen so there won't be any exoneration for House Blackfyre. I haven't read the D&E so don't have the intimate knowledge of what Blackfyres truly want besides having their ass on the IT but even so, seems like too little payoff for so much effort. Furthermore, they'd probably have to mix with the actual Targaryens (Danny) to maintain their power.

In my humble opinion, Varys does not give a shit about restoring House Blackfyre. He wants his puppet ruler and the boy's origins don't matter to him. He obviously has personal reasons to pick that specific kid but I think his motives go beyond having a perfect stable ruler and helping an old friend.

There's always the possibility is that Aegon is just a random orphan kid and V+I are taking the piss and playing everybody including Targaryen and Blackfyre loyalists with their little "Pygmalion" game and that is what it is all about.

Catelyn IV, Game

1) Does Varys have the blood of the dragon?

Actually there are more references for this.

No one knew the Red Keep better than the eunuch.

Jaime, ASoS

Whenever anything of import happened in the Red Keep, the eunuch appeared as if from nowhere.

Cersei, AFfC

@ Lord Martin

You're reading too much into it. They're not necessarily plotting killing off hands. Varys survived the upheaval that came with Jon Arryn's death (at Lysa's hand), and he'll survive the upheaval that will come with Ned's (no need to off him with people like Joffrey and Cersei around). That's all he meant. I think the last thing they wanted at this point was another dead hand and all the escalation that would cause.

Reading meaning into the rings on someone's fingers or the description of the torchlight is voodoo magic at best. GRRM did not have that much of the story fleshed out at this point, even if he had wanted to allude to something. His hints are a lot less obscure.

I truly hope that we will never find out that Varys is a secret descendent of House No-Balls/Targ/Blackfyre or whatnot. The awesomeness of his characters lies precisely in the fact that is his "nobody" who came from "nowhere" and has no family ties and allegiances, other than those he acquired during his life. He can choose whatever he does and whomever he supports based on his own whims. Everybody else is honour-, blood- or oath-bound to some cause, so ironically, Varys is the character with the most freedom of choice and thus act as his own agent of providence. It would be a bit of a letdown for me to find out in the end that Varys' motivations where driven by a promise to dying mother to restore the glory of his exiled house or to destroy those who wronged them.

I am all on the Aegon is Blackfyre bandwagon for the time being, despite most of the evidence being purely circumstantial. It provides some satisfying answers while most other theories just raise more questions. But, while BlackGriff :-) possibly explains Illyrio's involvement, I am not sure that the same could be said for Varys'. Illyrio and Varys are kindred spirits and share a common goal (put Aegon on the throne) but I think their motivations might not be identical and thus could potentially clash in the future.

If Aegon = Illyrio's son = last descendent of House Blackfyre (through his mother Serra), then Illyrio's motives could be a mix of ambition and sentiment.The scheme will allow Illyrio to give his son and his descendants the most powerful hereditary position in the world whilst also secretly restoring the "wronged" rightful dynasty of his beloved wife. I can buy to that, although I still struggle a bit with the fact that without a reveal (unlikely) Aegon would just be another Targaryen so there won't be any exoneration for House Blackfyre. I haven't read the D&E so don't have the intimate knowledge of what Blackfyres truly want besides having their ass on the IT but even so, seems like too little payoff for so much effort. Furthermore, they'd probably have to mix with the actual Targaryens (Danny) to maintain their power.

In my humble opinion, Varys does not give a shit about restoring House Blackfyre. He wants his puppet ruler and the boy's origins don't matter to him. He obviously has personal reasons to pick that specific kid but I think his motives go beyond having a perfect stable ruler and helping an old friend.

There's always the possibility is that Aegon is just a random orphan kid and V+I are taking the piss and playing everybody including Targaryen and Blackfyre loyalists with their little "Pygmalion" game and that is what it is all about.

Have you considered the Brightfyre theory?

• 1 month later...

I think,

Varys is not his real name. Varys (varis) means "heir" in Persian. That is why I think he is the legitimate son of Aerion's infant son, which makes him the heir to the IT if not for the Great Council of 233.

They were living in Lys. His mother died at childbirth, so his father married again. When he was six, his half sister Serra was born. His step mother desired her own blood to succeed so she tried to get rid of him. Varys barred the doors and set his house afire, killing his step mother and father. It was assumed that Varys and his half sister died too and Aerion's line ended. Varys sold his half sister to a pillow house and went to HoB&W. He was trained there , perhaps more than Arya. He sold his private parts for advanced magic. When he was still a boy, he returned to Westeros and sabotaged Summerhal. He stole the dragon eggs there (including Dany's three among them). This way, he took his revenge from Egg.

After that, he joined the Wot9PK. Illyrio, who was 16 by that time and a rich descendant of Blackfyres in the female line, was in that war too. I think he was severly wounded in the battle and Varys used his sorcery to heal him. Then he declared his true identity to Illyrio and they decided to plot together. Varys offered him Serra, who was still at the pillow house he sold her, to seal the pact.

I have textual evidences to back all these stuff up. When I wrap them up, I will post them on the Brightfyre Addendum thread.

I think,

Varys is not his real name. Varys (varis) means "heir" in Persian. That is why I think he is the legitimate son of Aerion's infant son, which makes him the heir to the IT if not for the Great Council of 233.

They were living in Lys. His mother died at childbirth, so his father married again. When he was six, his half sister Serra was born. His step mother desired her own blood to succeed so she tried to get rid of him. Varys barred the doors and set his house afire, killing his step mother and father. It was assumed that Varys and his half sister died too and Aerion's line ended. Varys sold his half sister to a pillow house and went to HoB&W. He was trained there , perhaps more than Arya. He sold his private parts for advanced magic. When he was still a boy, he returned to Westeros and sabotaged Summerhal. He stole the dragon eggs there (including Dany's three among them). This way, he took his revenge from Egg.

After that, he joined the Wot9PK. Illyrio, who was 16 by that time and a rich descendant of Blackfyres in the female line, was in that war too. I think he was severly wounded in the battle and Varys used his sorcery to heal him. Then he declared his true identity to Illyrio and they decided to plot together. Varys offered him Serra, who was still at the pillow house he sold her, to seal the pact.

I have textual evidences to back all these stuff up. When I wrap them up, I will post them on the Brightfyre Addendum thread.

I hope so, otherwise this is fanfic :)

My $0.02:

To answer the OP's question #8, Illyrio was a poor bravo as a young man, albeit a poor bravo who could afford to have a statue carved in his likeness.

Possibilities:

• Illyrio was a rich bravo by the time he was 16, and a poor one before it
  • Illyrio lost his money and met Varys after he was 16
  • Illyrio is telling porky pies

As for the scene that Arya witnesses, there are a couple of interesting things. One is that Varys doesn't appear to know that it was Joffrey specifically who ordered Bran killed. That's probably irrelevant, but it does show that there are limits to his powers.

The second is the line:

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend."

Which is delightfully misleading. Someone above pointed out that Illyrio could be referring to Jon Connington, which is plausible. I think he could also be referring to Jon Arryn, and a second person, unknown, like so:

"If one Hand [Jon Arryn] can die, why not a second [Ned Stark]?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend [that time you killed that other guy, or arranged the death of another high profile politician, or something, back in the Free Cities perhaps]."

Honestly, I think Jon Connington fits better, and maybe Illyrio was hoping to recruit Ned Stark. But when there's so much we don't know about Varys, I suppose anything's possible.

(Except for all this distant Targ nonsense, which frankly I don't buy for a second. Blackfyres and Brightflames are too obscure and too mundane to be behind the most devious masterplan of the series.)

What's more interesting, re-reading that scene, is the power dynamic between Varys and Illyrio. They seem at first glance to be very much equals, and yet, it seems Illyrio is the one making decisions and giving orders. Illyrio wants war delayed, and gets his way; my reading is that Varys accepts this reluctantly.

Which leads me to speculate wildly that Varys is merely Illyrio's man in Westeros, and he has other men doing similar work in other parts of the world. Perhaps Illyrio himself is working for some person yet unseen. That man's goal? Total world domination. And his name?

...Hitler.

Finally:

Arya peered over the edge and felt the cold black breath on her face.

Invisible frost dragons?

• 3 weeks later...

Another clue that Varys has the blood of the dragon...

Varys wrung his hands. "Oh, my lord, nothing would please me more, but . . . King Maegor wanted no rats in his own walls, if you take my meaning. He did require a means of secret egress, should he ever be trapped by his enemies, but that door does not connect with any other passages. I can steal your Shae away from Lady Lollys for a time, to be sure, but I have no way to bring her to your bedchamber without us being seen."

Tyrion II, Storm

When Varys and Illyrio meet up in King's Landing, they pass through the chamber of the black dragon skulls. House Blackfyre being extinct in the male line fits with Varys being a eunuch.

While i agree tha Aegon is a Blackfyre, the bones of dragons are black.

• 2 weeks later...

From somewhere far below her, she heard noises. The scrape of boots, the distant sound of voices. A flickering light brushed the wall ever so faintly, and she saw that she stood at the top of a great black well, a shaft twenty feet across plunging deep into the earth. Huge stones had been set into the curving walls as steps, circling down and down, dark as the steps to hell that Old Nan used to tell them of. And something was coming up out of the darkness, out of the bowels of the earth . . .

Arya peered over the edge and felt the cold black breath on her face. Far below, she saw the light of a single torch, small as the flame of a candle. Two men, she made out. Their shadows writhed against the sides of the well, tall as giants. She could hear their voices, echoing up the shaft.

" . . . found one bastard," one said. "The rest will come soon. A day, two days, a fortnight . . . "

"And when he learns the truth, what will he do?" a second voice asked in the liquid accents of the Free Cities.

"The gods alone know," the first voice said. Arya could see a wisp of grey smoke drifting up off the torch, writhing like a snake as it rose. "The fools tried to kill his son, and what's worse, they made a mummer's farce of it. He's not a man to put that aside. I warn you, the wolf and lion will soon be at each other's throats, whether we will it or no."

"Too soon, too soon," the voice with the accent complained. "What good is war now? We are not ready. Delay."

"As well bid me stop time. Do you take me for a wizard?"

The other chuckled. "No less." Flames licked at the cold air. The tall shadows were almost on top of her. An instant later the man holding the torch climbed into her sight, his companion beside him. Arya crept back away from the well, dropped to her stomach, and flattened herself against the wall. She held her breath as the men reached the top of the steps.

"What would you have me do?" asked the torchbearer, a stout man in a leather half cape. Even in heavy boots, his feet seemed to glide soundlessly over the ground. A round scarred face and a stubble of dark beard showed under his steel cap, and he wore mail over boiled leather, and a dirk and shortsword at his belt. It seemed to Arya there was something oddly familiar about him.

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend." He was no one Arya had ever seen before, she was certain of it. Grossly fat, yet he seemed to walk lightly, carrying his weight on the balls of his feet as a water dancer might. His rings glimmered in the torchlight, red-gold and pale silver, crusted with rubies, sapphires, slitted yellow tiger eyes. Every finger wore a ring; some had two.

"Before is not now, and this Hand is not the other," the scarred man said as they stepped out into the hall. Still as stone, Arya told herself, quiet as a shadow. Blinded by the blaze of their own torch, they did not see her pressed flat against the stone, only a few feet away.

"Perhaps so," the forked beard replied, pausing to catch his breath after the long climb. "Nonetheless, we must have time. The princess is with child. The khal will not bestir himself until his son is born. You know how they are, these savages."

The man with the torch pushed at something. Arya heard a deep rumbling. A huge slab of rock, red in the torchlight, slid down out of the ceiling with a resounding crash that almost made her cry out. Where the entry to the well had been was nothing but stone, solid and unbroken.

"If he does not bestir himself soon, it may be too late," the stout man in the steel cap said. "This is no longer a game for two players, if ever it was. Stannis Baratheon and Lysa Arryn have fled beyond my reach, and the whispers say they are gathering swords around them. The Knight of Flowers writes Highgarden, urging his lord father to send his sister to court. The girl is a maid of fourteen, sweet and beautiful and tractable, and Lord Renly and Ser Loras intend that Robert should bed her, wed her, and make a new queen. Littlefinger . . . the gods only know what game Littlefinger is playing. Yet Lord Stark's the one who troubles my sleep. He has the bastard, he has the book, and soon enough he'll have the truth. And now his wife has abducted Tyrion Lannister, thanks to Littlefinger's meddling. Lord Tywin will take that for an outrage, and Jaime has a queer affection for the Imp. If the Lannisters move north, that will bring the Tullys in as well. Delay, you say. Make haste, I reply. Even the finest of jugglers cannot keep a hundred balls in the air forever."

"You are more than a juggler, old friend. You are a true sorcerer. All I ask is that you work your magic awhile longer." They started down the hall in the direction Arya had come, past the room with the monsters.

"What I can do, I will," the one with the torch said softly. "I must have gold, and another fifty birds."

She let them get a long way ahead, then went creeping after them. Quiet as a shadow.

"So many?" The voices were fainter as the light dwindled ahead of her. "The ones you need are hard to find . . . so young, to know their letters . . . perhaps older . . . not die so easy . . . "

"No. The younger are safer . . . treat them gently . . . "

" . . . .if they kept their tongues . . . "

" . . . the risk . . . "

Long after their voices had faded away, Arya could still see the light of the torch, a smoking star that bid her follow. Twice it seemed to disappear, but she kept on straight, and both times she found herself at the top of steep, narrow stairs, the torch glimmering far below her. She hurried after it, down and down. Once she stumbled over a rock and fell against the wall, and her hand found raw earth supported by timbers, whereas before the tunnel had been dressed stone.

Nice analysis, LM. One thing that really stood out to me is the many mentions of fire in its various forms (flame, torch, light, etc.), which I've bolded. Fire. Lots and lots of fire. And dragon skulls in the dark; i.e., hidden dragons perhaps. Or, maybe a finer point can be put on it; hidden (thought to be) dead dragons. As in, the Blackfyre and/or Brightflame lines. Which in a way makes sense, since Varys and Illyrio are introduced in this scene almost as if they are emerging from the underworld.

From somewhere far below her, she heard noises. The scrape of boots, the distant sound of voices. A flickering light brushed the wall ever so faintly, and she saw that she stood at the top of a great black well, a shaft twenty feet across plunging deep into the earth. Huge stones had been set into the curving walls as steps, circling down and down, dark as the steps to hell that Old Nan used to tell them of. And something was coming up out of the darkness, out of the bowels of the earth . . .

So, the Blackfyres and possibly Brightflames coming back from hell (Hades, the underworld) or the dead.

Another thing that stood out to me is that, yet again, a Stark uses stone to hide: "Blinded by the blaze of their own torch, they did not see her pressed flat against the stone, only a few feet away." And that sentence looks like it was ripped from a foreshadowing 101 text. :) Maybe something like: the Black/Brightfyres couldn't see the threat of Arya, Jon, or the Starks. I prefer the explanation with Jon, since he is another hidden dragon, yet Varys and Illyrio never saw him coming, since they were concerned with their own hidden dragon; i.e., Blinded by their own torch.

Archived