Bakker XXVII: Shimeh by way of Momemn

Rhom

http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2014/06/12/enactivist-re-enactment/

As for the novel, still no word on pub dates, but I did spend the past two days with my friend Madness going through the manuscript, so if you’re curious as to his impressions, appraisals, by all means visit the SECOND APOCALYPSE FORUM and plague him with questions…

Let the plying commence.

Despite having an official account over there... I do not seem to be able to post, therefore "Madness! I summon thee!"

(Its not really a Summon Author spell... but its as close as we get around these parts apparently.)

Oh believe me there was some plying.

Myself and Madness were playing chess and while he was busy concentrating I was busy digging.

I got some interesting little tidbits! :)

Share!

Would live to see Madness post his impressions, etc.

Maybe we should cobble together some questions for Madness, stuff that could potentially be answered?

Yeah, we need to do that anyway, for the plying.

If he could just confirm that Moe, Maithanet and Cnaiur are indeed dead and irrelevant to the plot going forward, much would be won.

As for the novel, still no word on pub dates

Looking more and more likely that publication will be mid-to-late 2015.

What is Madness going to tell you anyway? I bet he wouldn't dare to cross Bakker by revealing anything, even something non-spoilerish like manuscript size. You don't have the guts do you Madness?

“But we, my son, do not have the luxury of error. Void … void has come to this world. It fell from the skies thousands of years past. Twice it has reared from the ashes of its falling: the first time in what the Mandate call the Cûno-Inchoroi Wars, the second time in what they call the First Apocalypse. It is about to arise a third time.”

“Yes,” Kellhus murmured. “He speaks to me as well.”

Isn't this answer a bit strange from Kellhus? Is it possible that the NG had risen during the Cuno-Inchoroi wars?

About the NG's question, I have no knowledge of AI at all but there is something in Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks that is very similar to what the NG is asking, here an AI thinks,

There was, however, another less immediately relevant, but more intrinsically worrying, problem it had discovered, and it was implied in the question: who was it?

. . .

But as for thinking, as for being itself—another matter entirely. It wasn’t its real self. It was a crude, abstracted copy of itself, the mere ground plan for the full labyrinthine complexity of its true personality. It was the truest possible copy its limited scale was theoretically capable of providing, and it was still sentient; conscious by even the most rigorous of standards. Yet an index was not the text, a street plan was not the city, a map not the land.

So who was it?

So is this the explanation for the NG's questions? That he's AI and all AI will eventually ask themselves these questions?

Also, I'm happy to see that someone asked him about my theory that the 3rd series will tie the story with Neuropath and he got nervous and said that he could neither confirm nor deny... So yeah, called it! :)

Archived