Bakker XXVII: Shimeh by way of Momemn

Rhom

Not that they wouldn't do it. I just don't see how they could know about something that probably took place inside the Ark, or how they even knew about Aurax in the first place without someone from the Consult actually telling them.

Mek might have told Seswatha in Dagliash?

As the organization is open to Erratics, it's not surprising if the Consult leaks like a sieve. It's not like Erratics would be terribly good at remembering who to tell or not tell what, and why, or why not.

Another thing on the same theme is how the Nonmen of Ishoriol/Ishterebinth knew beforehand that Mog was going to be summoned.

Nonmen books are called eljus. They are not written books as we understand them. They are people (or sranc).

If Seswatha rescued an elju Isuphyris and took it south it wasn't a written book.

No more so than any given Mandate sorcerer not being a written book. They are eljus, copies of copies of copies.

Even the most perfect reproduction of a work of art is lacking in one element: its presence in time and space, its unique existence at the place where it happens to be. This unique existence of the work of art determined the history to which it was subject throughout the time of its existence.

So I just started the second book (LOVING this series btw) and I'm not reading any posts. But I judging by number in the topic title I assume I won't be able to find an OT with general impressions of the series lol.

I usually like to get an idea of what I'm in for when it comes to series...brace myself for what fans consider to be the weak books, things like that. Is there a general consensus on the ranking of these books?

sign and signifier = hiding in plain site.

Bakker uses the word "book" a sign that signifies a physical inert object of dead tree pulp embedded with markings recording events and stories

But Bakker is also using an alien people who use the word "book" a sign that signifies a sentient being embedded with recordings of events and stories.

So when Bakker says the Nonmen have a "book" he relies on the readers to interpret this sign to signify the former, but he is actually using this sign to signify the latter. He hid it in plain sight and it will be obvious after the reveal.

five eljus

The mandate have hundreds of members and all of them are copies of Seswatha. but a mandate sorcerer, despite being an elju, is still not a tome of dead tree flesh desecrated with ink.

Trees are holy to the cunoroi, why would they do the terrible things to them that humans do to them just to record the past? They have a much better way to make recordings.

So I just started the second book (LOVING this series btw) and I'm not reading any posts. But I judging by number in the topic title I assume I won't be able to find an OT with general impressions of the series lol.

I usually like to get an idea of what I'm in for when it comes to series...brace myself for what fans consider to be the weak books, things like that. Is there a general consensus on the ranking of these books?

Those who love em an those that hate em. But, if you just finished TDTCB, and really enjoyed it, it only gets better.

five eljus

The mandate have hundreds of members and all of them are copies of Seswatha. but a mandate sorcerer, despite being an elju, is still not a tome of dead tree flesh desecrated with ink.

Trees are holy to the cunoroi, why would they do the terrible things to them that humans do to them just to record the past? They have a much better way to make recordings.

IIRC Bakker had onced "Stressed" that trees are not sacred to the Nonmen (I could be confusing this with something else.) But regardless, we're talking about books that humans had kept in their library.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. But what does it matter? I don't think Bakker would have told us that tidbit if he's not going to reveal that Seswatha rewrote something whether in a real book or a librarians head?

IIRC Bakker had onced "Stressed" that trees are not sacred to the Nonmen (I could be confusing this with something else.)

Yes, I remember something like this on the old 3 Seas board. Someone mentioned all the tree imagery and Bakker gave that person props for noticing and said something about how it's important, and the contrast was to the nonmen livin underground and in rock as opposed to trees (which are at the entrance to the mansion). Anyway that's my hodgepodge memory.

This whole idea of the "info bomb" in the TUC that Madness/Bakker talked about kind of worries me a bit. If it turns out that a significant portion of the glossary and the histories that we've been told so far are false only for him to surprise us with a "twist" revelation then it might feel like a cheap trick tbh, depending on how Bakker handles it.

He's already said that some things are deliberately misleading. But I don't see it as a cheap trick, the glossary histories contain info from mostly in-world sources; we were told the things that the people of Earwa know either from their history books or Mandate scholars or popular legends.

I don't know that I would say any of these books are "weak" the way that say AFFC/ADWD are weak or that Books 7-10 of WoT are weak; if you're into TDTCB, you'll be into the rest of them. I may have enjoyed Judging Eye/White Luck Warrior a bit less than Warrior Prophet/Thousand Fold Thought; but the quality is there throughout.

Love the questions on the 2nd Apocalypse forum... Hey Madness, without spoiling anything can you confirm whether the Great Ordeal defeats the Consult or not??? Oh, and does Kellhus live or die?? No Spoilers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated, how do we even know that the thing in the sarcophagus is the No-God?

I don't know that I would say any of these books are "weak" the way that say AFFC/ADWD are weak or that Books 7-10 of WoT are weak; if you're into TDTCB, you'll be into the rest of them. I may have enjoyed Judging Eye/White Luck Warrior a bit less than Warrior Prophet/Thousand Fold Thought; but the quality is there throughout.

The JE/WLW are both setup books unlike TTT and to some extent TWP which had the climax of the Circumfix.

Archived