Bakker XXVII: Shimeh by way of Momemn

Rhom

I'm worried the Aspect Emperor won't stand on its own like The Prince of Nothing did. Each of those first three books had their own conflict, climax, and revelation. It had its own story to tell, regardless of what happens with the rest of The Second Apocalypse. I know The Unholy Consult is to be the mother of all mindfucks, hopefully I'll appreciate the build up of the first two novels more and find some merits for them to stand on their own.

The way I understand all this "mindfuck" talk is that TUC will change the way we viewed the entire story so far... I'm guessing it will reveal that Earwa is like Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a supercomputer desighned by aliens (Inchoroi) to find the answer to the question of life, the universe and everything.

Just trying to get an update on the release situation: Is the current status that the completed and edited manuscript has been turned in but the publisher has yet to set a publication date?

The way I understand all this "mindfuck" talk is that TUC will change the way we viewed the entire story so far... I'm guessing it will reveal that Earwa is like Earth in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a supercomputer desighned by aliens (Inchoroi) to find the answer to the question of life, the universe and everything.

Earth in THHGTTG is a supercomputer designed to find the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.

Just trying to get an update on the release situation: Is the current status that the completed and edited manuscript has been turned in but the publisher has yet to set a publication date?

It seems as though the manuscript has been submitted, but the author's early readers are still sending in notes and his editor will probably have some notes as well; so since no release date has been set, the MS may/will change before publication.

what happened so far is last fall he announced he'd finished the entire book, his first draft. He then began a six-monthish page one rewrite. that manuscript he announced finished, and I imagine he turned it in to the editor and publisher in order to receive a contracted payment, but there are probably still revisions and decisions to be made since he is still receiving notes and no movement has been made in regards to publication date.

Madness seemed to think it was long enough it might wind up as two books, because it might be longer than it is possible to physically publish.

Journey Well

View Profile The Second Apocalypse Personal Message (Online)

Re: The Unholy Consult Official Release Date

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:45 pm »

This from Bakker's blog, The Four Goads (at the Crossroads):

So I finished the first draft of The Unholy Consult 3:14 pm, yesterday afternoon. Things are feeling kinda surreal its been a helluva long haul, man! Theres still a tremendous amount of work to be done. I have exhaustive rewrites planned for a couple of the plot-lines about a quarter of the book all told. But for whatever reason I became insanely meticulous fleshing out the master plot, and even though it remains uber-generic all the way down, Im pretty sure nothing like it has been written before. Whether thats a good or bad thing, I dont know. The best I can do is take it to the limit of my abilities and nothing more.

This is why I don't think TUC will be anything like Hitchhikers Guide. I'm hoping its like he says.....nothing like it has been written before.

thought that was mid volume V?

I think that's right. I think a band of sranc sees a skin spy in the Mop and their leader asks "what are you?" in its own way. I think they recognize the craft of the Old Father or something.

I'm talking about the bit where scalpers ambush a band of Sranc, after that there is the traveller looking for Ironsoul stuff.

I was only asking for confirmation that it is a Sranc PoV.

But on something unrelated, I've noticed that there is a discrepancy between the passages where Mimara uses the JE in the JE and WLW books. In the JE it's written always written as "the Judging Eye has opened," whereas in the WLW it's "the Judging Eye opens."

Is that a mistake or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Maybe. Some people make note of everyone else getting past tense descriptions while Mimara gets present tense descriptions (that's as I recall the claim and I haven't actually checked it myself). A change in the judging eye going from past to present tense usage might matter.

I see CAPSLOCK dragon as everything it says is angry and has deeper meaning. Wonder if he CAPS with generic discourse: "TODAY I WILL EAT CORKFLAKES - THEN TAKE A PISS, THEN DESTROY ISHUAL!"

With TJE, WLW and the gods I always assumed there narratives are present tense because this is the only tense they understand. They experience all of time at once so the only time they experience is NOW, but where NOW is all frames of time.

Again, I'm averting my eyes in this thread to avoid spoilers.

I just read the part in The Warrior Prophet where the Holy War takes Hinnereth, and Conphas declares the city for the Nansur Empire. I'm not sure why I enjoyed that so much. Just the unexpected gall of it...I love watching these assholes backstab each other for their own selfish interests.

I see CAPSLOCK dragon as everything it says is angry and has deeper meaning. Wonder if he CAPS with generic discourse: "TODAY I WILL EAT CORKFLAKES - THEN TAKE A PISS, THEN DESTROY ISHUAL!"

With TJE, WLW and the gods I always assumed there narratives are present tense because this is the only tense they understand. They experience all of time at once so the only time they experience is NOW, but where NOW is all frames of time.

I saw the presnt tense thing as a little more than a gimmick to be honest.

Archived