Arya, not Sansa, is the maid that will slay Littlefinger, the savage giant

Lost Melnibonean

The prophecy is very specific: the maid at the feast with the serpents in her hair is the same maid that will slay the savage giant. It's Sansa. No way around it.

Then I guess there's no reason for further discussion. ...

But wait a minute... Whom did Melisandre have burned in a cage at the Wall? And was it Renly that rode with Lannister and Tyrell to smash Stannis unawares? And who was the boy for whom the Song of Ice and Fire was written in the House of the Undying? Isn't it possible that the Ghost of High Heart saw someone else glamoured to look like Sansa?

She didn't miss on any any of the things she saw, she was right on point with the rest

I don't dispute that the person the woods witch dreamt appeared to be the same as the maid with the purple serpents in her hair.

You make some good, critical points. Another point against my reliance on the sheep symbolism is Petyr made the comment after Arya had the Faceless Man kill Chiswyck, so she was already a mouse and then a ghost. Still I think the George wrote Petyr's comments about fearing the sheep for a reason and I don't see how it would relate to any of the other sheep references you cited above.

The silver chain connection is tenuous. And either can stand alone. Sansa's being a foreshadowing of her submission to Petyr in the Vale and Daenerys's chain had an amethyst, which Xaro swore would ward off poisons--like Melisandre's ruby. But why did the George have her rip it off? If it was to clear the way for the manticore sent by the Sorrowful Man, why did he include it in the first place?

Regarding the hare symbolism if you accept that Petyr can be symbolized by a hare or a rabbit, then Arya being named Rabbitkiller seems more than a coincidence. None of the other rabbit references, accept for Daenerys's floppy ears, appear to relate. And Daenerys seems to have discarded the floppy ears.

I think my point is the connections you make are valid but they can also be connected to a wide variety of other characters or even themes and ideas as opposed to a specific character. I do like your observation as Arya as a rabbit killer, IMO that is your most valid connection between the two. I just wish I had a better handle on what symbolism GRRM is trying to get across with his rabbit.

One interesting possibility is the symbol of the Three Hares: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_hares

Interesting that it is often found in connection with the symbol of the Green Man which I definitely think GRRM has referenced in the books.

ETA: perhaps Arya is instead slated to slay Danaerys the queen of the rabbits?

I'm not so sure that every mention of Griffins necessarily has to equate with Jon Connington. Otherwise, than your manticore should necessarily be Amory Lorch, no? We also have the Griffin King, a First Man king conquered by the Andals. As for the manticore we have body of a lion, Lannister, wings of a bat, Lothston? Whent?, and tail of a scorpion, Dorne and the fate of a certain Lord Tyrell? Could it not simply stand for the Targaryens or perhaps the Valyrians.

Lorch is a red herring. He's a bit player. I don't see how the Griffin King relates yet. It probably has something to do with Robert Arryn and/or Sansa... ooh, and possibly Petyr. (I'm just now thinking it might further connect Petyr to Aegon but I've got to work that out.) Lannister, Lothston, Whent & Lorch would suggest Harrenhal. But what would connect Daenerys sojurn through Qarth to Harrenhal? And why is the manticore with a griffin and a lion twice? There's an earlier grouping of the three beasts as well? And note that just before Daenerys spies the likenesses of the three beasts, she passes under two snakes mating (dragons dancing?) colored black (Daenerys), blue (Jon), and green (Aegon).

I think my point is the connections you make are valid but they can also be connected to a wide variety of other characters or even themes and ideas as opposed to a specific character. I do like your observation as Arya as a rabbit killer, IMO that is your most valid connection between the two. I just wish I had a better handle on what symbolism GRRM is trying to get across with his rabbit.

One interesting possibility is the symbol of the Three Hares: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_hares

Interesting that it is often found in connection with the symbol of the Green Man which I definitely think GRRM has referenced in the books.

ETA: perhaps Arya is instead slated to slay Danaerys the queen of the rabbits?

As to the bolded above, fair enough, but that applies to just about every ASOIAF theory relying on symbolism.

I don't dispute that the person the woods witch dreamt appeared to be the same as the maid with the purple serpents in her hair.

Her other visions show a very clear ability to differentiate siblings:

"The old gods stir and will not let me sleep. I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag , aye. I dreamt of a man without a face , waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

Her other visions show a very clear ability to differentiate siblings:

"The old gods stir and will not let me sleep. I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

The first dream you cited, of Stannis killing Renly, didn't involve a glamour. The second dream only suggested that a faceless man was waiting on a bridge with imagry that suggested Euron having Balon killed by a faceless man. I fail to see where she differentiate between siblings.

Maybe Arya gorws to look more like Sansa. They are sisters after all.

That's actually where I was while I was hatching this theory. As I started making more connections it finally dawned on me that Arya was learning how to be a faceless man and then bbc.co it just seemed so obvious, to me at least :)

That's actually where I was while I was hatching this theory. As I started making more connections it finally dawned on me that Arya was learning how to be a faceless man and then bbc.co it just seemed so obvious, to me at least :)

It seems unlikely that Arya will get the chance to learn how to do glamors. Apparently they take years to learn. I like the connection between rabbitkiller and LF as a hare and I think it is entirely plausible that she will be the one to off him. But I don't think it is connected to the ghost's vision, I think that one has been fulfilled.

ETA It would have been plausible with the five year gap, that glamors would have been part of her arsenal. There are two ways around that. Either Bran will dowlnoad her the skill via weirnet (kinda out there I know) or she will stick to the most gruesome method of skinning people's faces off.

The first dream you cited, of Stannis killing Renly, didn't involve a glamour. The second dream only suggested that a faceless man was waiting on a bridge with imagry that suggested Euron having Balon killed by a faceless man. I fail to see where she differentiate between siblings.

She clearly differentiates Stannis from Renly..one is a burning heart, the other a golden stag.

Further, your suggesting Arya does a glamour, Faceless Man type killing regarding the "slaying the giant", and yet when The Ghost of High Heart sees a FM killing she even sees exactly who put the Faceless Man up to it. There's no mistake, its Euron that hired the FM, not Victarion or Aeron. Why wouldn't she see behind Arya' doing a glamour?

I'm glad you brought this theory up because the vision needs unraveling!

Lorch is a red herring. He's a bit player. I don't see how the Griffin King relates yet. It probably has something to do with Robert Arryn and/or Sansa... ooh, and possibly Petyr. (I'm just now thinking it might further connect Petyr to Aegon but I've got to work that out.) Lannister, Lothston, Whent & Lorch would suggest Harrenhal. But what would connect Daenerys sojurn through Qarth to Harrenhal? And why is the manticore with a griffin and a lion twice? There's an earlier grouping of the three beasts as well? And note that just before Daenerys spies the likenesses of the three beasts, she passes under two snakes mating (dragons dancing?) colored black (Daenerys), blue (Jon), and green (Aegon).

I've considered Petyr as a Griffin character as well. His status as Lord Protector of the Eyrie (Falcon) while being backed and protected by Cersei and the Iron Throne (Lion) fits the bill as well.

And I don't think Lorch is what the fountain was symbolizing I was just bringing up the point that a Griffin does not necessarily have to be Connington.

I also know there has been threads trying to tie Aegon into the "Green" but I just don't see it. I think there have been some threads that have already started with a desired conclusion (that the Dance will consist of Dany, Jon, and Aegon)and then try to make the symbolism work out for their desired outcome.

IMO the symbols of black and green are more easily attributable to Tyrion Lannister, in addition to his eye color, his first two battles occur at the Green Fork and then the Blackwater.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see that the Manticore symbol references Illyrio. I'd already started warming to the idea that he may be part Lannister, and based on the recent con reading re: the Lannisters, I'm beginning to suspect he may be descended as well from Rohanne Webber (whom I suspect may be a Losthon descendant). (Granted my Illyrio suspicion is highly highly speculative). I would note that Dany encounters the "gift" of the Manticore at the same time she encounters Illyrio's gift of Barristan and Belwas.

I've considered Petyr as a Griffin character as well. His status as Lord Protector of the Eyrie (Falcon) while being backed and protected by Cersei and the Iron Throne (Lion) fits the bill as well.

And I don't think Lorch is what the fountain was symbolizing I was just bringing up the point that a Griffin does not necessarily have to be Connington.

I also know there has been threads trying to tie Aegon into the "Green" but I just don't see it. I think there have been some threads that have already started with a desired conclusion (that the Dance will consist of Dany, Jon, and Aegon)and then try to make the symbolism work out for their desired outcome.

IMO the symbols of black and green are more easily attributable to Tyrion Lannister, in addition to his eye color, his first two battles occur at the Green Fork and then the Blackwater.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see that the Manticore symbol references Illyrio. I'd already started warming to the idea that he may be part Lannister, and based on the recent con reading re: the Lannisters, I'm beginning to suspect he may be descended as well from Rohanne Webber (whom I suspect may be a Losthon descendant). (Granted my Illyrio suspicion is highly highly speculative). I would note that Dany encounters the "gift" of the Manticore at the same time she encounters Illyrio's gift of Barristan and Belwas.

"Dragons," Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros... "Dragons old (Targaryen) and young (Blackfyre), true (Aerys II's daughter) and false (Rhaegar's son), bright (red) and dark (black). And you. A small man with a big shadow (and black and green eyes), snarling in the midst of all."

Do you have the quote and/or chapter you are referring to here?

Then I guess there's no reason for further discussion. ...

But wait a minute... Whom did Melisandre have burned in a cage at the Wall? And was it Renly that rode with Lannister and Tyrell to smash Stannis unawares? And who was the boy for whom the Song of Ice and Fire was written in the House of the Undying? Isn't it possible that the Ghost of High Heart saw someone else glamoured to look like Sansa?

It's possible, of course, but I don't think so. Instead of comparing High Heart's prophecies to the visions other characters have experienced, it would be better to look into the other prophecies she's made. Every seer in this story is different and some are more accurate than others so it's best to judge her accuracy on her own merits.

High Heart seems lot more capable than Melisandre at any rate. If she saw someone glamoured, I think she would known that person was glamoured. Even if she couldn't see the person beneath the disguise, she wouldn't have said she saw the same maid.

Her visions are really simple. "Which king died?" "Oh, the wet one" -- that's Balon Greyjoy. "I saw a golden stag get stabbed" -- boom, Renly Baratheon.

It's possible, of course, but I don't think so. Instead of comparing High Heart's prophecies to the visions other characters have experienced, it would be better to look into the other prophecies she's made. Every seer in this story is different and some are more accurate than others so it's best to judge her accuracy on her own merits.

High Heart seems lot more capable than Melisandre at any rate. If she saw someone glamoured, I think she would known that person was glamoured. Even if she couldn't see the person beneath the disguise, she wouldn't have said she saw the same maid.

Her visions are really simple. "Which king died?" "Oh, the wet one" -- that's Balon Greyjoy. "I saw a golden stag get stabbed" -- boom, Renly Baratheon.

I did in the OP...

And we know the George just loves sets of three. In the first vision we get from the woods witch, we learn about Stannis killing Renly, Euron killing Balon, and Catelyn getting whacked. Arya IV, Storm. In the second set above we get Rob at the "red wedding," Sansa at the purple wedding, and... Sansa again? Really? Wouldn't the sets of prophecies from the ghost of High Heart be more elegant if the maid again was Arya?

Sansa will be the one to kill Littlefinger. The how and why are the only questions.

Arya will team back up with Sansa at some point. Hopefully.

I am thinking that our lovely sweet Sansa is going to be joining Team Littlefinger. I am thinking she will still be liking her lemon cakes but she will be washing them down with fine Arbor Gold and she will be learning to enjoy the taste of mint and to appreciate fine tapestries.

Archived